Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Trader Vic Macadamia liquor

Pages: 1 28 replies

Hi all, I have just finished up our last bottle and can't seem to find it anywhere. I tried the local bev Mo yesterday and they said it was discontinued. Anyone know of an online site or a local place in southern CA that carries it? Thanks in advance for the help

Amy

J

I tasted this at TV in Emeryville two days ago, but they had none for sale and didn't expect to have any soon. Our BevMo no longer carries it either, but they do have a Kahana Royale Macadamia Nut Liqueur that is currently sold out on the BevMo website, but my local BevMo store has a few bottles. The BevMo website can tell you how many bottles are in stock at your closest store.

Good luck and let us know if you find a resource for it.

The scoop I heard on TV Mac Liquor is that TV decided not to distribute it anywhere on the mainland. You can get it at their restaurants, but no longer in any beverage store. But, if you happen to be going to any of the Hawaiian islands, Longs Drugs stocks it. We should find a local who can package it up and ship it to the mainland.

I have about half a bottle left from my last trip, and am hoping to get at least one additional bottle on my trip to Maui this November. I will check around to see if there are any distributors who might ship to the mainland. I don't think it would be cheap, though. I asked Longs if they can transfer a few bottles to my local Longs store, but they said they couldn't due to some liquor laws.

Good Luck!

thanks JenTiki and Tikiwinebear, Its weird I found a few sites that used to carry it, nolonger. And Bev mo told me TV discontinued it. I appreciate the help. I will continue to hunt and if I find some will let you know...

If anyone else has any update, please let me know, thanks again

Amy

M

This is a long story, but I did speak with the manufacturer and with Vic's, and it seems it's still being made, but for TV's in-house use only right now. Which is absurd.

On 2006-10-04 20:18, martiki wrote:
This is a long story, but I did speak with the manufacturer and with Vic's, and it seems it's still being made, but for TV's in-house use only right now. Which is absurd.

thanks Martiki, After searching for 2 days on yahoo search, a google search brought up this site http://www.internetwines.com they had it and it said in stock. I order 3, not even sure if this can go bad, but better to have it now that I know that it is scare. I have used it in the mahi mahi recipe as well....good stuff.

Amy

K

Just FYI - I checked out several Longs today on Oahu, and only found TV Mac Liqueur at one store in Kaneohe, and they only had 3 bottles (now 2). Other Longs may still carry it, as the liquor selection varies wildly from store to store. Most Longs do carry the Kahana brand, so you will not be shut out when you take that Hawaiian vacation. The best Oahu Longs for booze: Kahala Mall (where you used to be able to run in to Jack Lord back in the day). Aloha.

What is the approximate price that a bottle of TV's Macadamia should cost? I think I saw one here locally, but it was over $25 a bottle.

Chris

K

Kona Chris - I paid $22 on Oahu last week. First time I've tried the Mac liqueur - definitely sweet and boozy, but not much of a macadamia taste to me. Straight, it reminds me a lot of Kahlua, but I will try it in some of the drink recipes listed in an earlier thread.

Well, I was in Las Vegas this past weekend, and made it to one of the Lee's Discount Liquors, which looks like the Costco of liquor stores inside. They had a ton of the TV's Macadamia nut liquor, and for the bargain price of $20.99 a bottle. I didn't get any, as I was already spending enough on rum (FINALLY found Lemon Heart, at $23.99 a bottle. Ick.) Gosling's Black Seal was $9.99 a bottle though! I wish I had bought 4 bottles instead of 2.

Chris

This will only be helpful for a few people, but I was in Castle Rock, Colorado last weekend and Bubble's Liquor World carries it. I picked up two bottles and even managed to get them home in my checked luggage without breakage!

Yesterday, I (very unexpectedly) found TV's Macadamia Liqueur in Dallas at Beverage Depot, a discount store I frequent, for $16.99/750ml. I bought one, but haven't opened, yet. I bought some Kahana Royale years ago, while in Hawaii. I believe that was the first brand of macadamia nut liqueur. I remember it being rather good, with a distinctive flavor of the nut. It'll be disappointing if the TV brand doesn't have much macadamia flavor, as Koolau thought.
Considering the apparent rarity and prices mentioned in earlier posts, I may oughta plan on securing another bottle or two, asap, before the store discontinues it. Assuming, that is, it passes the taste test.

UPDATE:
Well, I've tried the Trader Vic's Macadamia Liqueur, and I believe that Koolau is right about not enough macadamia flavor. It doesn't measure up to what I remember the Kahana Royale tasting like. Not bad, mind you, just not what it should be.
However, It'd be great if anyone has both brands and could comment on a side by side test. I'm working off of a years-ago memory of the Kahana Royale, and would hate to think I'm bad-mouthing the TV brand, when it's really my aging taste buds that're off!

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2006-11-28 06:15 ]

N

Just found this gift pack at a local (MA) liquor store, they had more if anyone needs a hook up I'll see what I can do.

[ Edited by: nitropic 2006-11-26 17:39 ]

N

WOW, this stuff sold out in less than a week, and in central MA to boot!

T

Got the Trader Vic gift pack today. I guess that in Meffahd it did not sell so well. Anyone need one?

Tikisgrl

Oops... forgot to mention the bargain price of 12.60 plus tax!

[ Edited by: Tikisgrl 2007-05-20 18:57 ]

T

Why yes, Yes I do!

T

I'd be happy to pick it up & ship for cost but I'm not sure of the postal regulations between certain states. If it's legal I'm all for it.

Tikisgrl

I would love one and will cover the shipping cost too. I can't find anything on not shipping liquor to California....but I know you can't send me a slot machine. :lol:

T

O.K. I'll pick up a couple more sets this week to mail out from somewhere!

Tikisgrl

I'm in Virginia, and it looks to be legal to ship here.. Let me know what the total $ is and i'll send you some well hidden green!

Edit: Make it two, State run liquor stores here don't stock anything but the basics.

[ Edited by: Tornhalo 2007-05-21 22:08 ]

J

I was in Beverages & More in Oakland, CA, last night and they have lots of bottles of TV's Macadamia Liquor. I forgot to check the price, but http://www.bevmo.com has it listed for $14.99 for 750ml. There were at least a dozen bottles on the shelf. I still have most of a bottle at home, though, so I didn't buy any.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2007-06-06 14:58 ]

TT

The BevMo at Pasadena had some in stock a couple of weeks ago when I checked.

Their address is 885 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena, CA 91105.

Email: [email protected]
Phone: (626)356-9462
Fax: (626)356-9464

H

I bought a bottle from BevMo in Woodland Hills today, the price was $14.99.

Thanks all for tip on BevMo. I picked up a bottle and mixed up some macadamia nut chi chi's, wow, what a great drink!

H

Rum Hunter, how do you make the M. N. Chi Chi's?

Macadamia Nut Chi Chi

8 oz. Pineapple Juice
2 oz. Lopez Coconut Cream
4 oz. Vodka
2.5 oz. Macadamia Nut Liqueur

Add ingredients to blender, fill with ice.
Blend well, serves 2.

Got a bottle at BevMo in Santa Rosa today. New logo and design. Hope it still tastes the same. Now I don't have to save room in my luggage when returning from Maui!

BevMo is also selling Trader Vic Kona Coffee Liquor.

Aloha!
Myke

M
Murph posted on Sat, Jul 14, 2007 4:27 PM

Wow! Love the stuff you learn on this site.
Thanks all for the heads up on the Macadamia Nut Liquor.
Had everyone over to the Tiki room last night and
watched 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and drank Macadamia Nut Chi Chis.
The drinks and Kirk Douglas were a huge hit.
Only problem, now I have to go get some more M.N. liquor.

Pages: 1 28 replies