Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Tiki into glass

Pages: 1 13 replies

C

Hi all,
I have posted a bit on the marketplace section since I sell my stuff on Ebay and my site, as well as shows and galleries.
I hadn't put much here, so I thought I'd drop a note on my form of Tiki carving.
All my pieces are designs drawn by me. Once I find a piece of glass that suits a style, I then draw the design out on a vinyl, hand cut, then sandblast/carve the image into the glass.
Most of the pieces are one-of-a-kind. Some can take many hours to create as the sandblasting/carving takes patience and attention.
I am looking into sandblasting to create molds...this would be pretty cool.
Anyhow, if you hadn't seen my stuff in the other section, here are a few pics.
Take it easy!!

Kia ora. Love the Bones Bowl & Flaming stuff!! Do you cast or blow any glass yourself? Ive seen a bit of 'hot' glass being worked, would be a great way to get the blank forms you need... TTT

C

Actually, I will be learning to do the "hotworks" pretty soon. Yeah, it will be really cool to be able to create my "canvas" per design idea.

K
Kanaka posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 6:26 AM

Nice work! Will have to keep an eye on your site for more tiki pieces.

Kanaka

These are beautiful. Keep posting.

I've seen your "flames" work in Marketplace and on EBay- Really cool work! But those tikis, skulls, and flames combined are excellent!

Keep posting your creations here too!

C

Thanks everybody!! I've got a new vase in the works...the Tiki is ocean themed, with waves forming the eyes, a stingray head badge, and loads of other details. I'll post when it's done...probably this weekend.
Check my site for more stuff http://www.hunterglass.com

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 3:55 PM

I've seen your stuff before too and really enjoy it, and I'm glad to see it here in the carving forum as that's exactly what it is . I'm a glass etching/sandblasting novice myself - I stick with fairly simple motifs but am hoping to get more creative with it.

C

Well, I got some time today and I couldn't wait to dig into this one...I give you " Kahu Kai" the Guardian of the ocean.
You'll notice the sting ray head badge and sharks teeth band. Waves create the eyes and lots of ocean swirls on the cheeks and chin, kind of a Maori look. On the surrounding area are loads of depth and carved water/wave movements...also, the little critters that exist in the deeps as well.
I also airbrushed some color to give accent to the face.
Whatcha' think??

here's a pic of a glass i got from cherokee called "bad-ass flamin' tiki mug". it's awesome!

C

Thanks Kings!!
I'm happy to hear you like the mug you got! I always like to know what collectors think of a piece.
Thanks again!
Kyle

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 7:05 PM

Wow! Neat stuff!

GROG like!

J

These are fantastic!

C

Sweet!!

Pages: 1 13 replies