Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Suggestions/Help

Pages: 1 3 replies

C

I hope I am posting this in the correct area. I need suggestions/help.

A local club I belong to will be having their 30th Anniversary party next June. The theme is Polynesian. Tikis are needed. I would like suggestions as to what method would be the best for creating them. I have read about Styrofoam/paper mache, cardboard/paper mache, and chicken wire/paper mache. We tried local rental places here but alas no one has any Tikis. We certainly can't afford to buy them so the next best thing is to make them ourselves. My husband and I have been elected to create 4 of these for decoration for the party. Approximately 4-5' tall. The party is going to include a volcano (a 50' grain elevator draped in camoflage netting)lights, fan, colored paper(simulated lava)

Any suggestions as to what directions we should choose would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chiavet

T

Hi I borrowed this from another post but perhaps Poptiki could give you some suggestions:

I don't know much about the construction...but I do know that there was a lot of pink foam scraps all over the garage.

On 2006-09-04 08:36, poptiki wrote:

Here are some other pics of this event.

Like the color?

Starting the faux wood.

Got some eyes.

A profile so you can see it's only the front half, doesn't take up so much room that way.

Took this last night in the dark.

He's headed to his new home this morning.

I got the idea after seeing a site where a bike builder uses this stuff to shape fuel tanks for the bikes he builds. It's pretty messey stuff because of the static when your working it.

It's not very organic but it makes that size something a guy can handle.

It gave me much pleasure to do this for them, nuff said.

[ Edited by: poptiki 2006-09-04 08:53 ]

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 8:07 PM

Given the number and size you're looking at, Id suggest chicken wire and paper mache. Never done it myself, but looks fairly easy. Plenty of online how tos too http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=how+to+paper+mache&meta=

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 8:33 PM

I would browse the "other crafts" section of Creating Tiki. I imagine you would find more info there. The "tiki carving" posting area is really mainly for carving wood, stone, etc.

-Gman

Pages: 1 3 replies