Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Check out this slit drum that I came across!!

Pages: 1 9 replies

H

I was browsing through Dean Chamberlain's website of Photographic Light Paintings and found this groovy slit drum. The subject of the photo is Alba Clemente but I think the highlight is what appears to be a huge Polynesian slit drum.

So what can you experts tell me... This is a slit drum right? Where is it from? It looks similar to the Scared Drums of Ambrym on page 416 in A. Meyer's Oceanic Art book but this one has a much more defined head. And lastly, where can I get one for my living room.. BK??

edit - (BTW. JohnnyP came through. See Here.)

[ Edited by: Hakalugi 2007-08-16 00:38 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 7, 2006 12:47 PM

You've got it, it's an Ambrym drum. I have a baby one in my tiki collection and have seen a few around, they come up on ebay from time to time. I don't fancy your chances of finding a full-sized one!

It's hard to see it. But I'd certainly like to see more of it.

R

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Oct 7, 2006 5:55 PM

I think he may have meant the big one in the OP rather than my tourist quickie Rattiki? Anyway, just do a google image search for slit drum and you'll find plenty of the big ones. I had a good look around a while back when I was thinking of carving one as they're one of my favourite Pacific figures. I saw some wooden pendant versions in Rarotonga for next to nothing and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing some now.
This is what they sound like

R

http://ugle.svf.uib.no/antro/ting-tinge.htm

I had a pic of one in PNG that was laying down and in the shape of a croc (THAT I'd love to have!), but I can't find it now. :cry:

[ Edited by: Rattiki 2006-10-09 10:30 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 20, 2011 2:25 AM

I just got back from a trip to Vanuatu yesterday and this style of slit drum is very popular - they're everywhere! Basically they were used to communicate to people in a tribe, and also to communicate to neighbouring tribes as well, with different beats giving different meanings.

Our resort with a slit drum carving in the foreground

Some local carvings at the market, you can see a slit drum to the left

This is the national museum in Vanuatu, the guide provides a sense of scale to the slit drum! Each mask represents a level of 'seniority' in the tribal system ie. one mask represents local village chief, two masks represents a chief of a few villages, 3 masks a regional chief etc.

Our guide giving us a demonstration of different messages on another drum

The swirls just below the mouth are representative of the wild pig tusks worn by the chiefs, similar to these

On 2011-02-20 02:25, hewey wrote:
I just got back from a trip to Vanuatu yesterday.

Isn't that just the best thing to be able to say, if this was Facepuke I would have to click "like".

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 20, 2011 4:08 AM

Even better when we got out the day before a cyclone was due to hit! Plenty of TC-worthy pics to be posted over the coming weeks when I get organised/time.

I forgot to mention that the slit drums are also featured prominently on the 500 Vatu note(approx $5):

T

Here's a 21 footer that recently sold for around $1300 at auction:

Pages: 1 9 replies