Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau Pictures

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

B

Here are a few of the pictures I took at the Mai Kai to start off with.

More later.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-10-08 21:21 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 10:22 PM

More now! Awesome pics! I like how you got that Marquesan pole into those pics, the framing is perfect. Man, there's some great looking stuff at the vendor's tables...

L
Loki posted on Sun, Oct 8, 2006 10:36 PM

hey paipo.....whats great is we got to spend a wonderful dinner with a great friend in Benz and Sherry and got to meet some great new friends along the way...benz, Victor, Paul and all the others at the table..it was a great evening...more pics to come......

And more here....

S

BTW, this awesome Bamboo Ben original, I think, is now owned by Mai Kai GM Kern. I think the matching pants went too. Incredible work!

i dunno - maybe want to get that sucker dry cleaned. That looks like a pretty absorbant fabric and those pics look like Bamboo Ben is getting his groove (and sweat) ON!

mg

H

I've finished uploading my pictures -- almost 450 of them! Here are the links:

Hukilau 2006 (this is the parent folder)

Wednesday

Oh We're Goin... (kickoff at Forbidden Island, the ride to the airport, and watching Martiki's NyQuil kick in at the airport)

Thursday

Getting Settled (the view from our hotel room, lunch with the APE boys)

Mai-Kai (a quick trip to the Mai-Kai, with lots of pictures of the Molokai bar, dining rooms and gardens)

Bahia Cabana (the Hukilau kickoff at the Bahia Cabana, lots of pictures of TCers)

Friday

Tiki Carving (beachside carving by Lake Surfer, Keigs, Basement Kahuna and Crazy Al)

Mermaid at the Wreck Bar (the very crowded Wreck Bar at the Clipper, plus some from-above shots of the lovely mermaid, Tiki Bree)

Bahia Mar (the Friday night shindig, lots more pictures of TCers)

Atlantic Afterparty (pictures from a quick drink-making pitstop at Basement Kahuna's room on our way to the beach)

Saturday

Mai-Kai (the main event, with pictures of the dancers, Beachbum Berry's Mystery Drink, Waitiki, the Haole Kats, and tons of TCers)

Sunday

The Beachbum on the Beachcomber (Jeff Berry's seminar on the history of Don the Beachcomber and how his drinks propogated across the country)

Mai-Kai (after being inspired by Jeff's talk, we opted to change our flight so we could go back to the Mai-Kai again)

M

On 2006-10-09 10:05, Swanky wrote:
BTW, this awesome Bamboo Ben original, I think, is now owned by Mai Kai GM Kern.

Oh yeah it is. By force.

TL

Thank you so much for the fantastic photo's Humuhumu. I dropped a Martin Denny CD in and felt like I was there. My wife and I hope to make it up to Forbidden Island sometime in the spring to sample those amazing cocktails. Thanks again. Mark @ Jeannette.

D

as usual, i didnt take many pictures of people (yes, i have food pix to post elsewhere) ~ here's a few taken during Hukilau Weekend..

Todd & elicia in the Mai Kai Garden

Sandwich Island Jackets

Lady Velour, Utopean Dreem, Johnny Velour, Todd

Puamana & Selector Lopaka

Todd at the helm of the Yankee Clipper

now if I hadnt forgot my camera Friday and Saturday night, I prolly would either have a bunch of pictures or lost the camera. damn the alcohol that numbed my numbed brain.......Maybe '07's I can super glue it to my head.

Trying to share a few pics from Hukilau...be patient..it's my first effort! :)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 10, 2006 8:05 PM

I gotta get there one year...

Looks tops

To ALL that put their time and effort to get this event going. To ALL the artist that dedicated their time to be part of the Hukilau.
Thank You, Thank You Thank You...........

It was great to meet so many new people. From the Bahia Cabana party on Thurs. to The Jetsetter Lounge on Sunday. It was a Blast!!!!

Here are a some pictures.

http://www.biffinc.com/Hukilau2006/Hukilau2006.html

Thanks again EVERYONE!!! HIGH FIVE!!!
Next Stop Oasis -August 16-18.........or is Hukilau. Already announced - June 14-17

WOOOOHOOO Goddess-Sun! Mahalo for posting your pics. Looks like you and your Clan had a Blast :)

Here are a few of my photos from the Mai Kai, Saturday evening.

The Mai Kai interior

One of many Mai Kai tikis

Mai Kai Dancers

The Mystery Dancer with one of her hypnotizing moves

Waitiki drummer, Abe Lagrimas Jr - perhaps my favorite Hukilau musician - in action.

Tiki Kiliki giving thanks to Sven .... or is it the other way around?

Karbora and Formikahini, each wearing a trio of tikis

Bre-elle and Tristan

Otto and Molokai Bar waitress

Swanky and Mai Kai Dancer

Kern and Bamboo Ben's black velvet coat

Mr and Mrs Bamboo Ben

Closeup of Bamboo Ben's eyes, late Saturday evening

Vern

Some more pictures from this past Hukilau weekend

Casey, Bre-elle, and Tiki Bob

Basement Kahuna and Nikki at the Wreck Bar

Betty Boop watching Billy Mure and APE performing together

Josh of the Haole Kats, with Billy Mure, in front of the amazing tiki surfboard

New study shows that rum consumption may contribute to male baldness

Lake Surfer at the carving Seminar

Sven Kirsten, presenting his Tiki Modern/Lecture seminar

Beachbum Berry at his Mixology seminar

Vern

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2006-10-11 00:29 ]

And one more batch of photos, from the Jetsetter Lounge

Waitiki's Professah Humming Flower and King Kukulele, on the bus ride

Arriving at the Jetsetter Lounge - Paolo (I Belli di Waikiki) and The Mayor of Exotica (Waitiki)
Serving as bus bartender, The Mayor served many delicious drink refills on the journey

Most surreal scene of the entire Hukilau weekend. A trio of orange-clad apes, playing great music, while a small girl calmly sits in front, eating a banana.

James and myself doing some Moai posing

I've finally found the perfect woman for my tiki and space-themed rooms

How many Suffering Bastards can you identify in this photo?

All in all, I think I'm a pretty well-rounded person

Vern

From Thursday:

From Friday:

At The Maikai

This is us:

[ Edited by: PappaHuki 2006-10-12 09:54 ]

T

On 2006-10-10 23:08, ikitnrev wrote:
Here are a few of my photos from the Mai Kai, Saturday evening.

Closeup of Bamboo Ben's eyes, late Saturday evening

Vern

DON'T WORRY BEN ! ! ! I AM ON MY WAY WITH MY VOODOO-EYE BAG ! ! !

TB

[ Edited by: pappythesailor 2006-10-12 04:16 ]

T

Alice as a Shag painting come to life.

Bill and Alicia, the only other people from Chicago to represent (until Nels showed up Saturday afternoon).

A rare shot of Dean during the day, and an even MORE rare shot of the Molokai bar lit by sunlight.

King, Queen, and lil' Kukulele

FOM breakfast

More evidence that FOMmers aren't actually vampires.

Lack-of-hair-club for kanes, AKA our imitation of Cook Island fishermen Tikis.

Karen came to Hukilau not knowing a single person there. Holden (who's products she sells in her store) talked her into coming. By Sunday night, she was telling me that she plans to come to Hukilau 2007 AND Tiki Oasis. Nice everyone, job making her feel welcome!

FOM cookies!

Moon over Miami, more or less, sorta.

Hukilau Tiki Convention 2006
and the Mai Kai 50th anniversary!!!pics here
http://www.kustomkultureink.com/huki06/

P

[ Edited by: poptiki 2006-10-11 20:48 ]

[ Edited by: poptiki 2006-10-12 17:34 ]

WOW!

Take a hike, Pop. You're busting on my friends now. And you'd never see half of any of this now but for the work he's done.

P.S. Georgia boy born and raised. Citizen of this Ohana. Just like we all are.

Edited to remove my comments, as the comments to which I was responding have been removed (and peace has been restored in the land - yay!).
ab

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2006-10-16 21:58 ]

Well said Alice!!!!

Ditto.

C'mon Pop. You can't just throw bombs and run. Details, man! Let's hear the details....

Big Bro--were you dissing the Sunshine Ohana?

S

I know Sven well enough to know better. I have spent time with him when he was exploring Florida. He spends half his life in Europe! You really think he would dis Florida or any other "non-California" place? Hala Kahiki in Chicago is like a museum to this man.

I will say this. He has a very dry wit and will say things in jest, with an absolute straight face. Maybe you heard criticism when he was making a joke.

But, I doubt you will find anyone who has a bad thing to say about Sven. I watched him meet person after person with his same geneal demeanor.

Too bad you waited until now to talk about this. If you had brought it up there, we could have straightened it out I'm sure.

KK

Does anyone here really need to vouch for a friend's (in this case, Sven's) character after a ridiculous attack by some silly crank? We all have spent more than a little "real" time together over the years, and like most relationships the quality and range of experiences vary. Yes, Sven was surly- obnoxious, really, but isn't that why we all love him? :P Besides, it may have been something in his "gooey fonduey". You can really see the seething hostility in that shot of him embracing Kiliki, right?

Nice that we have this space to clear up our little misunderstandings, but that ("Pop") was a misinformed, and yes Alice, illiterate rant if ever I've seen one. Happy trails Pop, you obviously missed the boat coming here. My only disappointment is that I thought you made a cool Hunter S. Thompson character in our somewhat homogenous cast!

PS- Formika, please feel free to correct my note and return it with red marks! :wink:

T

I just put up hundreds of Hukilau 2006 photos on The Intoxicators! website... Here's the link
http://www.theintoxicators.com/hukilau2006_friday.html

Here's a sample of what's out there...

Disasternauts at the Cabana bar...

Ben

Joe & Savannah

Ape in the Molokai Bar

Waitiki Watermelon Sacrifice

Haole Kats surfing on the main stage at the Mai Kai

The Intoxicators! in the Samoa/Tahiti room at the Mai Kai

Lewis of the Disasternauts/Novarays (former Woggle) with Alice after we realized that she was the singer in Hillbilly Frankenstein (it's a small world)

The Disasternauts go bananas at the Jetsetter!

Tikilicious-a-go-go

[ Edited by: Tikigoob 2006-10-12 07:15 ]

T

On 2006-10-12 07:05, Kava King wrote:
may have been something in his "gooey fonduey".

Maybe it was Sven's evil doppleganger.

You know what...I was really overwhelmed that wonderful weekend. By nature, I am not a very social person, and I always hated family gatherings...my relatives' gatherings, that is. But this was a gathering of my TRUE family, the one I really feel akin to, and still, I simply got burned out. I had not met sooo many people for sooo long, and EVERYBODY was there, it was just too much! I just shut down at some point in the day. I didn't even talk to people that I really wanted to meet, like Benzart: All I could utter was a casual "Hello" and stumble on!!!

I really apologize to him and his wife, and to the all the people I did not spend enough time with: Swanky, Tikibob, Elicia, Hanford and Michelle, Dave and Lezley, Alice, Casey, Zulu Magoo, Danny, Pablus, and all the others I can't think off right now (again: bad Sven!), please don't take it personally, I am just socially inept.

The responsibility of being the Big Brother is not easy to handle sometimes. Those who know me in a small group, know me as an open person on a one to one basis, usually. And you might not think this, but I am constantly worried that me not remembering the names and faces of ALL the Tikiphiles I have met throughout the years will be interpreted as arrogance, and apparently it was in the above mentioned case.

Again, I can only apologize for that misinterpretation, it was not my intention. But please do not insult my friends whose love for my work and me I truly appreciate, I know that their sympathy is genuine and honest, and has nothing to do with ass-kissing. Thank you for the love, kids!

I guess I should not have spent the first half of Friday having fun doing a midcentury modern tour of Sunny Isles with my friends Charles and Pete, because that cost me my chance to really peruse the vendors room and meet everybody.

I DID meet one of my main goals though, to share the complete print out of my new book with Ken and Heather, and Mimi and Rob, as thanks for their contribution. And when I was done with that, the vendors room was closed.

And then all Saturday I was upstairs seeing all the lectures (I even had to get food brought up there to eat something)and do mine, and BAM it was time to head over to the Mai Kai...

I can only IMAGINE how Christie must have felt, I don't know how she does it!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-10-12 09:19 ]

K
Kitty posted on Thu, Oct 12, 2006 9:30 AM

Why on earth should anyone have to apologize for an imagined slight? People think way too much of themselves when they believe that strangers are mean/rude/dismissive/whatever to them. Most perceived slights/insults are unintentional. If the wounded would simply make a paradigm shift, it might become crystal clear.

Post more pictures, please. Hukilau looks like it was incredible.

A suffering bastard after one too many Jet Pilots!!!

Thank you all for sharing. So much fun! Mahalo ~~

T

Social retardation cuts both ways - I witnessed several occasions where the person being approached was clearly in no headspace (cocktail flu/busy/distracted) to chat. I'm sure that those interactions were less than satisfactory, and the "blame" lies equally on both parties.

In fact, I had meant to chat with Sven all weekend about our beloved Alibi, but didn't get a chance until Sunday morning when I saw him in the lobby. One look told me that this wasn't a good time - there will be other times to have a leisurely chat. In fact, I'm not sure most of the gatherings are a great time for anything more in depth than casual hi how are yous.

But in any case, uh, pictures! As usual, my existence at the event is only confirmed by Humu's pics. I really have to start taking off my top or getting in fights or something to be more memorable. Maybe topless fights!

H

Formikahini, thank you for your well-worded post, you said it better than I could have. Poptiki, I don't know what the particulars of your situation were, and I'm sorry that you came away from your experience with bad feelings. Like the many others who have chimed in here, my many experiences with Sven have been great, starting from way back when we first met -- when as far as he knew, I was just a nobody chick from Seattle.

I can say from my own experience that environments like Hukilau can present some unique challenges. It's not always easy to be surrounded by about a thousand people who know exactly who you are, when you only know about 10% of them, for four whole solid days. Having to be "on" all the time can take tremendous effort, even for someone who is naturally social. I wouldn't have it any other way, I'm hugely happy to meet so many new folks, but I know that personally I struggle to have the kind of quality interactions I want to be able to have -- at a certain point, I just poop out. Not only was Sven in that boat, but he's been working like a dog in Germany for many months now; this was a rare vacation for him, and a rare opportunity to catch up with some of his dearest friends in the world. Give the guy a chance.

Okay, back to the fun stuff -- thanks so much to everyone who's posted their pictures! There are always so many different things going on at once at Hukilau, and it's neat to get a chance to go back and virtually do everything. Here is my video of the Mai Kai fire dancers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul3evn6f8Vc

More pictures! More pictures!

T

Last year's Hukilau was great, but this year's was even better! It was better having both official hotels so close to each other, and hanging out in the Wreck Bar was great. The Appleton company came through with good rum and drinks in the Wreck Bar and at the Bahia Mar. More West Coast Ohana were present this year including some Ohana who missed last year like Otto and Sven, bad boy Ben and Mrs. Bamboo, Martiki and Boo Loo, the Velours, Tiki Bird and Utopian Dream. Portland was well represented, and most of the Forbidden Island regulars were there this year (purely for research purposes, you see we needed to compare the Mai-Kai's drinks to F.I.'s).

Highlights for me:

• Mai-Kai happy hour four nights in a row
  • Thursday's boat ride to Cap's Place on moonlit water with Martiki and Dr. Boo Loo, the Velours, Tiki Bird and Utopian Dream and Unga Bunga (after our cab driver got lost - $34 from the Mai-Kai to Cap's!)
  • Billy Mure w/Ape - one minor complaint: Billy's guitar should have been louder
  • The Mai-Kai show - it never gets old
  • Pablus with Haole Kats at the Mai-Kai - I was in food coma, but I snapped out of it and got some dancin' in
  • Partying in the Mai-Kai bar until 3 on Sat (until something broke, we won't go there)
  • Drunken moonlight swim in the ocean passing the rum bottles
  • Meeting Auntie Bungy
  • Sven's and Beachbum's seminars (wish I could have seen Kailuageoff's but I was still asleep)
  • Stretch limo ride to the Mai-Kai on Sunday

Me and my 21-ounce Porterhouse (it seemed more like 31 ounces!) and a glass of amazing Bordeaux on my pre-Hukilau trip to Bern's steakhouse in Tampa with Pablus and his wife

Unga Bunga, Martiki, and Boo Loo

Boo Loo and Martiki

Mr. and Mrs. Johnny Velour, Tiki Bird, and Utopian Dream

coconut carver

Mr. Supersonic Guitar, Billy Mure

Martiki gets the Mystery Bowl

and he turns into Super-Martiki!

Sarah, my favorite Mai-Kai Wahine

The rest of my Florida picks are here:
http://flickr.com/photos/thejab/sets/72157594325219022/

Well since I took over 300 pics here are few to injoy:
music friday eve

music and carving APE

they CAN dance

friday eve late room jam

fri eve late mobile tiki bar

My favorite shot form fri touchthetiki and freddie ballsomic

sat eve Mai kai mystery bowl w/ f.balls- my eyes still hurt from Fri

mystery bowl delivery

sat eve master of cermonies - I like his voice!

What more can I say it was a success!

Hope you injoyed it!

[ Edited by: sneakyjack 2006-10-12 18:15 ]

I just want to say Holy Smokes! What a weekend! I even got my picture takin by the Sneakyjack! My first not only Hukilau but first hardcore tiki event, Once again..next year glueing my camera to my forehead so I dont forget it each and everyday! Thank you everybody for your awesome pictures and videos that I can send and show to friends!

S

Server and dancer.

Bree!

Pages: 1 2 77 replies