Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Mai Kai's Cheese Tangs

Pages: 1 4 replies

A guy I work with went to the Mai Kai on my recommendation and he can't stop raving about the cheese tangs does anyone have a recipe?

O

This may be it.

These tangy Cheddar crisps puff slightly while they bake, making them a versatile base for hors d'oeuvres.

For Cheddar crisps
1 cup coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar (preferably white)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
For grape relish
1 lb seedless red grapes, stemmed and halved lengthwise (3 cups)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped pitted green olives (2 1/2 oz)
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh jalapeño chile
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1/3 cup pine nuts (1 3/4 oz), toasted
Special equipment: a nonstick mini muffin tin with 24 (1/8-cup) cups

Make Cheddar crisps:
Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
Blend Cheddar, flour, and cayenne in a food processor until combined well. Add butter and blend until dough starts to clump, about 30 seconds. Turn out onto work surface and gently knead until combined well. Using palms of your hands, roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rope (about 20 inches long). Cut rope into 24 equal pieces and press each piece onto bottom and halfway up side of a muffin cup.
Bake until golden and slightly puffed in centers, about 10 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then invert onto rack to cool completely. Leave oven on.
Make grape relish:
Toss grapes with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon oil in a bowl, then roast on a foil-lined baking sheet until shriveled, about 25 minutes. Cool to room temperature on sheet on a rack.
Toss together grapes, olives, celery, onion, jalapeño, garlic, zest, vinegar, pine nuts, and remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Spoon relish onto cheese crisps and serve immediately.
Cooks' note:
Cheddar crisps can be made 3 days ahead and cooled completely, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.

Makes 24 hors d'oeuvres.

Gourmet
October 2005

i think, they were more like a croquette of sorts. deep fried.. i'll keep searching for a recipe..

hey, the Kahiki had frozen food... does the Mai Kai?

The Mai Tai's description of Tahitian Cheese Tangs ~ Imported cheese with diced ham and mushrooms, breaded and deep fried.

I changed some of the measurements from a Martha Stewart croquette recipe for ease-of-use and added mushrooms. The original recipe calls for serrano ham (which i couldnt find) so i substituted Black Forrest ham. i used the only Manchgo cheese available to me, it was the un-aged, soft variety (one website says to substitute Substitutes: Monterey jack OR mozzarella OR cheddar.)

Selector Lopaka, Puamana and Poi Poloi recently returned from Hukilau '06, and proclaimed these to be Mai Kai worthy!

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1/2 cup finely chopped mushrooms

Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for shaping

1 cup whole milk

6 tablespoons finely chopped black forest ham

1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup grated manchego cheese (about 1 3/4 ounces)

2 large eggs

1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs

Vegetable oil, for frying

1. Heat butter and oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter has melted. Add onions and mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Whisk in milk, and cook, whisking, 3 minutes. Whisk in ham and 1/3 cup cheese. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Spread mixture onto a baking sheet, and let cool completely. Mixture can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days.

2. Whisk together eggs in a shallow dish. Stir together breadcrumbs and remaining 1/4 cup cheese in another shallow dish. Scoop tablespoons of cooled mixture, and shape with floured hands into small disks. (to shape the Tangs, i used a small cookie dough scoop, and flatten the ball into a disk) Working with 1 disk at a time, coat in beaten egg, then in breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. (you can make these in advance, and keep covered and chilled)

3. Heat oil registers 375° on a deep-fry thermometer. Working in batches to avoid crowding, fry croquettes, flipping once, until dark golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes total. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. (Adjust heat between batches as needed to keep oil at a steady temperature.)

Dogbytes, you have it almost perfect.....

To get the same presentation as the Mai-Kai, use Panko (oriental market/section). Or, if you can't find Panko, use cracker crumbs. And a Fry-Daddy or similar appliance will really help.

As to cheeses... try using Ementhaler, Manchego and a very small amount of white cheddar. That should give a good texture and color. Of course, you can use just about any cheese you want and you should try a wide variety of cheeses, just in case. You might find one better than the Mai-Kai.

Pages: 1 4 replies