Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Support Trader Vic's SF

Pages: 1 29 replies

Trader Vic's SF has just unvailed an unbelievable 3- course Prix Fixe menu for $25.00 - which includes all their signature dishes, Mai Tais and other cocktails for $5 and bottles of Wine for $20.00 - daily!!
Apparently, they are also doing Happy Hour all night on Wednesdays. The deals just don't stop.
Oh yeah, and the Martini Brothers play live every Sunday from 6pm - 9pm, to the tune of more special drink prices.

Obviously, they are hurting...and it's probably a matter of time before they shut their doors. Folks, we've waited this long for TV's to re-open in SF. Let's all do what we can to keep them in business for as long as possible.

HEAD OVER TO THE TRADERS!!

Their Prix Fixe just has to be the best deal in town right now, for fine-dining. These prices are unheard of in SF and they're obviously running these at a loss!! Tell a friend, a relative, co-workers. Their Prixe Fixe deal is downloadable in Adobe format off their website. Download it and forward it to everyone you know. Not only is this the best deal in town, but it may stave off their closing by a month or so. Let's all do what we can right now...'cause we'll all be sorry when they're gone.

Mahalo

[ Edited by: Conga Mike 2006-10-14 11:44 ]

If they were within five hundred miles of me, I'd go...

T

I posted some of the details from the newsletter recently here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21123&forum=1&vpost=256038&hilite=trader%20vic's%20san%20francisco

Though I'm sure this is only a small part of why they're not doing well, it strikes me as almost inconceivable that (especially in SF) there is no vegetarian option on this menu. Sadly, this has been keeping me away from TV's. And I'm not the only vegetarian surfing these boards!

We will be heading there for Happy Hour at 5pm - I'm thirsty for a late-afternoon Scorpion Bowl-
followed by dinner reservations at 7pm. Anyone up for joining us?

Mai Tai and I will do our best to make it. Would LOVE to, but not sure of scheduling at the moment. If we can make it, we'll be there. :)

J

I just happen to be free tonight and already in the city, so I'll meet you there around 6:30. Thanks for the invite!

Just checked and Mai Tai's feeling under the weather. Probably allergy related, but being safe. And I'm swamped with work projects, so will most likely not make it tonight. If things change, we'll pop by. Have a great evening! Next week maybe?

M

Support Trader Vic's SF?

Heck ya! It's Vic's, dammit. Sure they got that wallpaper in the whatever it's called room, and the nautical theme is a bit heavy handed, but there's the big ole wall of booze, the huge outrigger, and some great tikis. Not to mention Lars.

Great drinks...classic, old school, for the ages drinks. Plus, even at my age...cough cough ack!...I'm still one of the young folk.

*We will be heading there for Happy Hour at 5pm - I'm thirsty for a late-afternoon Scorpion Bowl- followed by dinner reservations at 7pm. Anyone up for joining us?

We'll miss ya by that "---" much, Mike. Team midnite will be dining at Vic's tomorrow evening. Cannot beat that $25 menu offer, plus $5 Mai Tais! Also, our favorite SF Vic's bartender makes a great "Stinker". It's my new fave drink at Vic's, he mixes it like back home where the recipe is a bit different. The perfect libation to toast one more year upright. Ha cha cha!

Navy Grogs...on the captain!
midnite

P

I'm sensing a resounding "Happy Birthday" is in order.

I spent mine in a Trader Vics as well, last week, and had a grand time with TC folk.
Hope yours is equally fun and palate-pleasing.

R

On 2006-10-16 16:14, RikiTikiTavi wrote:
Though I'm sure this is only a small part of why they're not doing well, it strikes me as almost inconceivable that (especially in SF) there is no vegetarian option on this menu. Sadly, this has been keeping me away from TV's. And I'm not the only vegetarian surfing these boards!

Having done my chef training at the California Culinary Academy in SFO (and that was many years ago :o) I think you have a valid point, but I believe that would still only affect a small percentage of their potential business. I DO have to wonder how dated their menu is in general and if that is not a big problem. We here may love and appreciate a B&W Bogart film, but alias the mainstream populace wont watch it just because it's not in color. :roll: :cry:

Believe me if they (or any other decent Tiki Bar/Supper Club) was in my home town it would be a regular stop for me! :D

T

"there is no vegetarian option on this menu"

There is a vegetarian menu and its called the Mai Tais. The drink menu is all accommodating. :D Time to get Girl Drink Drunk

R

On 2006-10-19 14:29, teaKEY wrote:
"there is no vegetarian option on this menu"

There is a vegetarian menu and its called the Mai Tais. The drink menu is all accommodating. :D

:lol:Yes and so full of Vit. C! :lol:

On 2006-10-19 13:26, midnite_tiki wrote:
Also, our favorite SF Vic's bartender makes a great "Stinker". It's my new fave drink at Vic's, he mixes it like back home where the recipe is a bit different. The perfect libation to toast one more year upright. Ha cha cha!

Thanks for the advice, Midnite!!
Wow!! It's my new favorite cocktail at Vics. In fact, it was so good, I had to order another after dinner.

J

And here is a picture of Conga Mike enjoying his Stinker with his lovely wife Denise by his side ...

M

Wow!! It's my new favorite cocktail at Vics. In fact, it was so good, I had to order another after dinner.

Stinkers are the best! Your uncle midnite would not steer you wrong. I'm a cocktail whisperer, assisting the public in their drink selections (pssst, try the Coronado Luau). I have my application in at Forbidden Island for the position. Unfortunately, Tofu Joe is also up for the job and he has an "in".

We fully enjoyed dinner at Vic's last night. The $25 menu cannot be beat. Two 3-course dinners (petite filets) and 5 drinks: $100. Mixologist Lars was behind the bar, expertly preparing my stinker (unflamed). He's one of the best, cannot recall a bad drink he's made for me.

Vic's had a pretty decent crowd last night, which was good to see. I do like the bar area at SF Vic's, with the outrigger and the wall of PNG masks/tapa/carvings. It's classy, but still "primitive" enough for my Tiki-aesthetic. Mix in the history of Vic's, their first-rate drinks, classic Chinese oven meats, and the special $25 menu...support SF Vic's!

Just a stinker,
midnite

PS groovy shirt, Mike.

M

I have many happy memories of the SF Vic's. You California folk will have to keep going and have a drink for me! :)

CL

Conga Mike,

Is this a regular Thursday thing, or just last week? We're both still down with colds, but can shoot for next week if it's regular. Is it?

Jeez, with my schedule there can never be a "regular" event!! But for sure, let's talk and plan to go.

J

I'd be up for making it maybe a monthly thing. Can't do it next week, but maybe the following.

Sure wish we had a Vic's around here!

M

If you see Lars at Vic's SF, make sure to ask him for the new drink he's been working on- a twist on the Pimm's Cup with Hendrick's Gin. It's excellent!

I tried it back in April.

It was VERY refreshing and light.. Nice unique flavor that you wouldnt taste in any other drink.

M

Shows how long it's been since I've been there!

The little hapa haole combo known as The Maikai Gents will be playing at Trader Vic's San Francisco on the evening of Saturday, November 11. Seems like a fine time to come out and support the ol' place! Hope to see you there.

-Weird Unc

The Royale's were at Trader Vic's last night. It was about 7pm and the place was packed!
We had drinks,appitizers and a GREAT time.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Hello everyone, allow me to introduce myself. I am your inside agent at Trader Vic's in San Francisco. I wanted to give you all a couple of updates:

*The wonderful $25 menu is going to be available until the end of January. We just changed it a couple weeks ago so if the last time you had it was in November, you should check it out!
*We aren't leaving you any time soon. As a matter of fact, if you plan on coming in this month, be warned that it is going to be slammin'! Our Christmas decorations have really turned the restaurant into a psychedelic tropical winter wonderland!

So I really don't want this to sound like I'm marketing the place on this forum, I just want to share information... but if you have any questions, you know who to ask.

On 2006-12-11 17:21, Bird_of_Paradise wrote:
Our Christmas decorations have really turned the restaurant into a psychedelic tropical winter wonderland!

This is true!! We stopped by last week (for a Stinker, made the Lars way of course) ... the life-size "holiday" Palm trees spread throught the restaurant are truly a sight to behold!!

I found the new ceiling ornamentation fascinating.

Will be at Vic's this Saturday. Anyone care to join us. I'm dyin to try this menu and a Christmas

stinker!

Pages: 1 29 replies