Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

does anyone put tiki ino other aspects of their lives

Pages: 1 19 replies

Hey does anybody put tiki into other aspects of their lives like wearing aloha shirts to work
Trying to write off your tiki collection as a tax write off having your children’s birthdays as a luau Etc

T

My (shared) office is decorated rather tiki - all my tiki postcards I get go on the tackboard, plus we have a grass skirt around our bookshelf. Any mugs that arrive in the mail at work sit on my windowsill, and there are several cocojoe's statues staring out the interior windows at my co-workers. This annoys my design boss to no end because she loves clean, sparse, minimalist design in the office - everything matches and is color coordinated. I can tell all the tchochkes rankle her but she doesn't quite know how to tell me to remove them, ahaha!

BB

It's been in my life too long. We are always trying to find a way out of it!

I have a huge tiki in my office along with my desktop being a tiki theme, and my water bottle is a tiki. It makes me feel at home. Next I plan to bring in a tropical lamp of some sort to decorate the office. Hopefully that will be only be the beginning.

D

Bamboo Ben what do you mean by saying you're trying to find a way out-say it isn't so! I do wear alot of tiki wear to work especially on Fridays. I'm afraid to bring anything cool to lay around in my area at work-things seem to walk off. And get my friends and family into it.

D

Hey Tiki_Kiliki-I enjoyed your website, some pretty cool stuff on there especially the invitations. I found some cool old Christmas cards at a yard sale that I sent out this year. They were from the 60's I believe-got alot of comments on them. I just loved them.

J

Working as a television news editor I can get away with wearing Aloha shirts every day which I usually do - I'm starting to be called John Tiki around the station...Also, when editing TV news, each tape requires a leader (or a countdown) before you actually add the intended video - I made a custom Shag/tiki leader complete with a snippet of Quiet Village that I use every day. Often times I crank up the volume right as the birdcalls kick in probably annoying everyone within earshot! I had plans for a mini tiki bar made from an old podium from our prop department but I don't think my boss would like me serving Mai Tai's during working hours. Besides, I think that people watching at home would be wondering where in the hell the sound of the blender was coming from.

:drink:

MC

at work, for my birthday my boss had her friend who plays the ukelele come in and seranade me with a Hawaiian "Happy Birthday". very cool. I have a Spongebob Squarepants fish tank w/ guppies on my desk, plus a moai on top of my monitor. some tiki art hanging as well.

Thanks Divychic!

I have to put much more work into the site actually. I've got to get my tiki collection split into catagories and add so much to the invitations page. I have lots of vintage Christmas cards, get well cards and "we're moving" cards among others. There's a pile still to go through.

I love them - friends give them to me.

Thanks for the compliment!

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:28 ]

thats so cool there was a tiki cubicle article somewhere I'll have to find it

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 25, 2004 3:39 AM

I wear hawaiin shirts all the time. It is even better in Winter cause you are so bright and no one else is. I used to work in a swimming pool shop, and we tried to get the uniform changed to hawaiin shirts but the owner didnt like them - bugger! But he was a wacko and the rumour is he is in jail for stuff with little boys. i digress...

If it was may shop it would have been done in a full tiki theme, with a lounge/bar area up the back for entertaining come Mai Tai o'clock on Friday arvo...

1. My hard drive is named after my Primary Tiki ("Melvin").

2. My daily prayers for good luck are directed at Melvin, and though I pay obesience properly, Melvin usually answers this not.

3. My dog is a Scottish terrier, surely the tikiest of dogs.

4. Thoughts of my tiki bar intrude throughout the workday.

5. My thank-you notes are always written on Shag stationery.

Great topic our Whole house is Tiki back and little in the front yard ,Tiki heads ,Surfboards,Tyger and Leopard Print every were Flamed Fish inside and out We just had our daughters 3,rd B-day and it was all Tiki Themed too Have about 40 Hawiian Shirts some are just worn 1-2 times a year the others I wear almost dayly .Theres not a day that goes by that I dont do somthing as in making a fish mount flaming somthing of painting a surfboard its realy crazy but I Love it Right now im pinstriping a flamed mako shark head in our living room and last but not least I twirl Fire stix and breath fire at my freinds Luaus .Great Topic

When my girlfriend and I take multi-day road trips and stay in motels, we usually have a tiki something or other along that was bought on the trip. This is because of the plethora of stuff available this past few months (i.e. Spencers Moa lamp, Target tiki candles, mugs from a flea market, etc.). Just about any tiki mug looks rather atmospheric with a small candle placed a few inches away. We've found this, along with some Martin Denny wafting from the small CD player we carry, can help turn a sterile motel room into a romantic get-away.

I had a restaurant for a few years that was sort of a Cargo Cult/Safari affair, with lots of Tiki influance.

After that I wanted a break from it..but have in of late re-emmersed in it.

We just got a house a few months ago, and slowly it's becomming Tikified, and I have plans to ruin the property value or my ranch by adding that theme there too.

It's a sickness once you start.

• On my desk at work I have a Mr. Bali Hai that's always full of candy next to my Tiki Tony nodder, & I have one of those Target Tiki mugs as my water glass.
  • I wear Hawaiian shirts to work 4 days out of 5, & sometimes wear kukui nut leis to work.
  • If I go out to lunch by myself it's usually to one of the Hawaiian Plate Lunch spots around my work.
  • I usually shop for milk, eggs, beer, rum & other necessaries at my local Trader Joe's which is decorated in a South Seas Nautical theme (I've tried to talk them into buying some Bosco tikis, but they say corporate isn't going for it).
  • I buy Spongebob Squarepants and Lilo & Stitch themed toys, clothes, videos, etc. for my Gran'Daughter all the time (They're her 2 favorite videos).
  • I serve King's Hawaiian Bread Pain Perdu for Breakfast, topped with coconut syrup and fried Spam on the side.

And I'm not even a shadow in the shade of most of the bright lights around here. Like when Bamboo Ben said he needs to find more aspects of his life to stuff non-Tikiness into; when your life work's involved in this, finding Tiki in other aspects isn't the problem, it's expected.

other than having the dining room, bathroom and patio decorated in polynesian style?;
in my entire family - most of our get togethers are Hawaiian themed - from the drinks to the food to the garb - it's more convenient that way and a good way to show off all our neat stuff.

I have a hawaiian sticker on my car and a lucky shell lei on my rearview.
I instituted a monthly happy hour at work at the local tiki bar.
i have a number of hawaiian items in my office at work, and some orchids and palms; a hawaiian calendar.
On weekends I like to wear my Hawaiian print clothes, especially my Sig Zanes.
and, I only date men who have a good variety of aloha shirts.

At work, my pen holder is a tiki mug and, of course, aloha Fridays is a must.

Outside of work, almost everything revolves around tiki:

Tropical gardens at home
Tiki interior decor
Tiki exterior decor & fountains
Hula shows
Hawaiian answering machine greeting
Tropical vacations

In the car,

Hula girl airfreshener hanging from the car
Tiki window sticker
rubber tiki riding shotgun near the gearshift
Exotica CDs abound

Oh sure. Living in Florida nobody cares if you wear a tiki shirt to work. I do it all the time. I play Exotica on my computer all day long to make work seem like hanging out in the lounge. Tiki decor is spilling out of the porch and into the bedroom. I have big plans for the backyard with a waterfall, Koi pond, Tiki totems and exotic plants. We throw a big Tiki party every year in August. So, yeah, it's that important.

Pages: 1 19 replies