Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Churches that should be Tiki Bars.

Pages: 1 11 replies

It often makes me sad reading of great old purpose-built Tiki Bars being demolished...the Googie and A-frame palaces that once beckoned, are now eyesores, and are cast aside in the name of "Progress"...

But...somehow from a similar time, Thousands of Avant Guarde churches from that same era survive. (Yeah, I don't get it either)

The more I thought about it, driving around, the more I see Churches that would be great Tiki Bars.

Any in your hood?

[ Edited by: Gigantalope 2006-10-19 07:05 ]

S

You mean like this one?

D

I have often remarked (to myself) that there are many googie-esk churches out there that, with only a little thatching could look like an incredible tiki temple ala Kahiki, Kon Tiki, etc. I'll keep my eye and my camera open for some. I know there are a few in my general area too.

..awesome thread......I've often thought the same thing drivin' round the city.....i know of several that would make awesome tiki bars......i'll get some shots and post them soon.....

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 19, 2006 7:26 PM

hahaha cool thread :)

Love the irony too - tiki missionaries spreading the heathen word amongst the ignorant suburbanites. Should we also distribute the BoT to help enlighten them?

:) :) :)

Many here have Palm Trees, fountains, little gardens, lots of parking, several rooms to send the tots while Mom and Dad get "rejuvinated Spritually"...some even adverties Palm Sunday...

I also thing Tiki Bars should be tax excempt.

Maybe they should cansil Bingo and start Oktikifest?

(Great photo Swanky)

S

Yeah, here in Knoxville there are laws that say you have to be 100 yards from a church to open a bar. This makes it easy. Open the bar in the church! Some of the wildest and coolest architecture around here is in these churches. The one above is way off the beaten path. It looks odd to me, like the windows were covered in front. I wanna get a look inside, but am not sure just how to go about it...

On 2006-10-19 19:26, hewey wrote:
... tiki missionaries spreading the heathen word amongst the ignorant suburbanites. ....

{Missionary}Hi! Have you ever given any thought to the Kingdom from which Tiki comes from?

{Unsuspecting Housewife}What? What are you on about?

{Missionary} (Offering a Book of Tiki Style) Tiki. The original Polynesian God, the First Man. Have you ever read from the Book of Tiki?

The Painted Church on the Big Island would do well to serve tropical drinks:

http://www.hawaiipictures.com/pictures/painted_church_1.html

I've often thought this one-time church (it's a cash register store now) would make a swell polynesian restaurant - something like this:

unfortunately it's in not such a nice neighborhood so i don't think it would really be viable.

C&A :lol: Loved that!!!

I do think that many churches would make good tiki bar locations. They are usually located on prime property. I think you could kick it up a notch and actually open a church of tiki. Serve Mai Tais and Pupus, worship the carvings...I would go to services pretty regularly. :)

H

HA! What fun, but can you morph my Polynesian shop into a church?

Pages: 1 11 replies