Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Magazine release and Artshow Nov11 at the Tonga Hut

Pages: 1 2 91 replies

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 24, 2006 6:58 PM

Aloha Tiki Central,

Join us at the Tonga Hut November 11th at 7:30 PM for the release of the latest Tiki Magazine.

There will be an artshow in conjunction, and Tiki Tony (featured Tiki Magazine artist) will also be releasing his latest tiki mug. Some of the other artists who will be there with artwork for show and sell include Squid, Ken Ruzic, Kirby, Suzanne Mosher, Johnny the Pinstriper, and others.

All drinks from the "Liquid Exotica" list will be discounted.

The Tonga Hut is located at 12808 Victory Blvd. at Coldwater Canyon in North Hollywood.

Flier coming soon.

SWEET. that is all i can say......

and not even far from home - Yippee

mg

H

I will be there for sure. :drink:

Sounds good times for sure, Look'in forwards to seeing the artists & meeting Tiki Tony & checking out his new mug. See ya all there.....

S

Grog will also be presenting a live musical demonstration of his newfound command of the English language! Co-starring Rex Harrison. Don't miss it!

Sounds like a trip to North Hollywood is in order!

TI

Hi Grog do you have space for another vender? Close and a chance to meet more of the Tiki crowd.

K

squid, Im not sure grunts and clicks are considered the english language...

I am so there! (for real this time, not like when I missed Crazy Al's walk through! Sheesh!) Tiki Magazine is one of the reasons I even found the Tiki community! I think Nick is doing the Lord's work! ("the Lord" in this case being Konoloa I think) - And I had the great pleasure to meet Tiki Tony at Tikis and Terrors II, and what a cool cat he is! I am so jazzed by everything he is doing. Can't wait to see more of his work in person!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 25, 2006 12:22 PM

On 2006-10-24 23:37, squid wrote:
Grog will also be presenting a live musical demonstration of his newfound command of the English language! Co-starring Rex Harrison. Don't miss it!

Indubitably

Tiki Ice---GROG have to check with the powers-that-be.

My Fair GROGGie?
This should be quite fun! Going to the cave (studio) tonight and seeing what pieces would be appropriate for a Tiki Magazine/Tiki Tony/Tonga Hut venue! Seeing as the date is a week and a half away.I'll check with my Menehunes and see if they can paint some new pieces just for this event!

D

Sounds like a good time, hope I am there.

D

Maybe I can contribute, more than happy to help out

H
Heath posted on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 7:06 AM

It's THAT week-end?!!

Aw crap!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Heath 2006-10-26 07:07 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 12:18 PM

A wise-guy, eh?

B
bungy posted on Thu, Oct 26, 2006 1:21 PM

Sounds like a fest on a fast tiki track! Too bad ..I will be in Ca Dec 1st for about 3 weeks!! A month too late. All you little children have a good time for me.. yew heah??? Auntie Bungy

I'll definitely be there. I haven't been to the Tonga Hut and this looks like a good opportunity to check it out. I'm also a big fan of Tiki Tony's. I hope the Tiki Island Chief will be there...

Sounds like funn

T

hey guys,
It is such an honor to have the next cover of Tiki Magazine! At the Tonga Hut, I'll have the painting from
the cover on display as well as my new mugs. I was only able to make a few of these mugs for Hukilau
because of the time crunch, but I will have a very limited supply of my Handmade Volcanos, Handmade Skulls, and LekOokoos.
If you saw the VolcaNanos at Hukilau, I decided to make them bigger, and just call them Volcanoes.

LeKooKoo Artist's Proofs.... $100.... height: 7"
LeKooKoo Limited Edition of 50.... $50.... height: 7"
Skulls...$50... Limited to 50...height 5"
Volcano...$30... Limited to 100... height: 4"-5"

I will also have another new painting, and Marcus might have some Adrift. http://www.adriftclothing.com/product_index.htm

very kool tony

It's always cool to see Tiki Toney's work!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 7:56 PM

Nice flier Suz. Thanks for busting that out.

Great lookin' flyer Suzy! Thanks for taking the helm since GROG is so lazy! He probably won't even show up! Those are some beautiful mugs there Tony! Can't wait to see 'em up close! Indubitably!

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 1, 2006 10:47 AM

This looks to be a fun show with TiKi tOny bustin' out his awesome new mugs! Please distract him for a moment while I lift one...

And I hear the Tonga Hut has a special drink conjured up by none other than Johnny the Pinstriper. It'll be worth the trip just to see if he can drink it AND stripe at the same time!

I'll have Freeky Tiki Royal Family mug sets, the last one of my limited resin casts, and a few straggler Tikis & Terrors 2 mugs. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Hopefully Grog and Kirby will bring their Benzart carving seminar tikis. :)

N

Special thanks go out to the Tonga Hut, Ernie (Grog), Suzie, Tiki Tony, Alene, DJ Lee, the staff at Tiki Magazine and the artists participating in the art show. It should be a very fun night. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Tonga Hut and the TC Ohana. See you there.

Nicktiki

[ Edited by: nicktiki 2006-11-02 06:26 ]

Grog, how late into the evening will this go on? I've some plans with some girlfriends that evening also, so I'm hoping it goes late, so I can add this to my schedule.

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 5, 2006 5:11 PM

The plan is 7 to midnight (or at leat that's what Suzy put on the flier), but it's a bar/lounge, so it'll be open 'til 2am.
But,that doesn't mean the artists are going to leave their stuff up to or past midnight. It also depends if the hardcore drinker/partiers are there and if they close the place down. With Kirby, Suzy, Crazy Al, and Johnny the Pinstriper there plus discounted drinks, GROG willing to bet it'll go past midnight.

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-11-05 17:18 ]

G
Gugug posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 7:45 AM

HI. Will there be Tiki Stalls there at the event?

G
Gugug posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 7:47 AM

...and - I'm travelling from Scotland...can I bring a camcorder to film do you think? Any help appreciated as I am complete Tiki-novice although have had an interest for some time via fanzines etc Ta much

The coolest thing about Tiki Tony's sculpture art is it's cartoonish, other worldly-ness (just like his 2-D art) that he has still been able to maintain and bring into the three dimensional realm. Seeing one of his sculptures in person is like meeting an inhabitant from "cartoon" island. - and cartoon island is obviously a very tropical and beautiful place. (That and he's got great color choices!)

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 12:43 PM

Gugug, GROG not sure what you mean by "Tiki Stalls". Don't see why you can't vidoetape it if it's for personal use, or unless any artists don't want their stuff videotaped, then they can speak up.

D

"Tiki stalls" I think he is asking about artist's sales and booths. That or something in the restrooms i can't be too sure.

G
Gugug posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 1:42 PM

aha - I see. Pardon the LINGO. A "stall" where I come from is the common name for a temporary "shop" or "booth" as in a market. Anyway cheers 'n' that . I'll come over and hopefully I can buy a wee something. A mug perhaps?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 6:18 PM

Glad to have you you coming by Gugug, there will be some nice, fun stuff to buy. The artists will have some small areas in the booths and maybe a few tables/shelves with some stuff.

GROG sees you are from Scotland. You're not a Clown Doctor, are you?

They kids,

This is shaping up to be quite a show! Not to be missed! : )

Yes, the artists will be selling their work. Though there is not a traditional stall/storefront setup, most artists will have prints and small items for sale as well as original paintings and carvings on display. So bring money (or checks with artist's okay) for booze, schmooze and art!!!

Yes, photography/videotaping should be fine. Just ask the artist's permission to photograph their work before you snap the pic. Don't worry, they don't bite. . .mostly. . .

Yes, chances are quite good with this particular motley crew, that the fun will continue well past midnight. . .

Wanna hear that artist line-up???!!!! Yeah, you'll wanna hear this. . .

TIKI TONY-feature cover artist for Tiki Magazine!
SQUID!
KIRBY!
LIL' LOST TIKI!
ATOMIKITTY (Bartender Suzy) That's me!
JOHNNY THE PIN-STRIPER (Creator of the Voo Doo Juice)!
KUSTOM KLAWS

AND. . .JUST ADDED!!!!

CRAZY AL!
TIGER JIMMY!
POLYNESIAC!

DJ LEE will be mixing an audiory cocktail sure to intoxicate you!

A BIG MAHALO to TIKI MAGAZINE and the TONGA HUT for hosting this great event!

I'm excited!

See you there!

S
squid posted on Mon, Nov 6, 2006 11:14 PM

Oh Great and Wondrous Atomikitty, will you have your Coconut Monkey prints available? If so, how much? Enquiring minds want to know. (Jeeeeez, I have a feeling I'm going to leave yet another art show spending more than I take in....)

What will we get if Atomokitty gets behind the bar and mixes up Grog and Gugug?
Gugug Grog?

And speakin of Gugug....He's a SMOKIN' .... and I mean SMOKIN' Uke player and singer. The man with bollocks big enough to play Ramones on the flea. Check out his YouTube Vids. http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=GUGUG

Wanna have a play while you're here Gugug? Me and the wife are drums and bass respectively. Not far from the Tonga Hut. PM please.

TI

Thanks Grog for considering us as a vendor for the art show. Mabe next time. Do we need reservations to get in.

MN

Hmm, I think there is also a release party at the Bali Hai that night as well.
No magazines, no bands, no cool carvers, not even an invite. Just me and the Kook. Or is it just me the kook? :) :) :) :)

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2006-11-07 15:46 ]

Squid, you ask some excellent questions and raise some intriguing ideas! :

YES! I will be displaying the 'Coconut Monkey Project' paintings, and I will be premiering the next in the series at the show. : ) I think you'll really dig it.

YES! I will have prints available of the first four paintings-Mr.Hawaii, The Commodore, Momma Monkey, and Flathead and Son. The prints are professional quality, light-fast, and mounted on wood panels with a matte or semi-gloss varnish. They are hand framed in bamboo, like the originals, and can be yours for 50.00. Collect all four! : )

As for the chance of me getting behind the bar, I'd have to clear it with those friendly Tonga folks, but if it means Gugug will bring his Uke . . . then I will mix the Gugug Grog!

Tiki Ice, thanks for your interest in the show, unfortunately we ran out of room this time, but hopefully this will be the first of many great shows at the Tonga Hut, and next time you are first in line. We are looking forward to seeing your work!

Mahalo, and see you Saturday!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 7, 2006 6:49 PM

Suzy's the BEST!!

Oh Duh...boy do I feel like a big dope. Now I see the time on the flier!

S
squid posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 9:07 AM

On 2006-11-07 17:57, atomikitty wrote:

YES! I will have prints available of the first four paintings-Mr.Hawaii, The Commodore, Momma Monkey, and Flathead and Son. The prints are professional quality, light-fast, and mounted on wood panels with a matte or semi-gloss varnish. They are hand framed in bamboo, like the originals, and can be yours for 50.00. Collect all four! : )

Yup, I'm screwed.
Let's see....Buy art, sell art, buy art, buy art, buy more art...... you do the math.

Suzy Rocks . well time to finish up some Mid Cen stuff .

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 7:23 PM

GROG willing to trade sculpture for other people's art.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 10:11 AM

This is going to be a heck of a night!

The newest Tiki Magazine will be available that night.

Tiki Tony will have the painting he did for the cover and will be releasing his newest mug.

Squid told me today that he is bringing the sculpt he JUST finished for his newest mug, the stacked skull mug. He's not posting any photos of it on TC, so if you want to see it, you gotta come to the Tonga Hut.

Suzy's got a new Coconut Monkey painting in her series, and has prints of her beautiful paintings. (Damn that girls talented!)

Kirby's got a brand new pendant he's been casting, that he'll have on-hand along with his artwork/prints. (GROG bringing a stick so people can poke Kirby. Only50 cents a minute.)

Ken Ruzic (Little Lost Tiki) has some new paintings he's made for the show. (He'll probably be first in line after GROG to poke Kirby with a stick).

GROG not sure what all Crazy Al, Polynesiac, Johnny Pinstriper,Tyger Jimmy,and Kustom claws are bringing, but you KNOW these guys do awesome stuff, not to be missed!

DJ Lee will have the place hopping. (There's even a possibility we might be able to talk Gugug, an awesome Uke player from Scotland, and Squid to bust out a few tunes)

Exotic drinks are on special, get 'em while they're cheap!

The one and only Bamboo Ben may even drop by and make an appearance (hopefully that's not a deterrent) Heck if nothing else, get the bastard to autograph his comic in Tiki Magazine.

GROG only coming to see pretty women like Suzy and Ana (Tonga Hut co-owner), and to poke Kirby with a stick. Seeing all the great art, getting, the newest Tiki Mag, listening to some good music, drinking some delicious drinks and hanging out with great bunch of people (plus Kirby), is just icing on the cake.

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-11-10 18:37 ]

Thank God I'm only working till 6 tomorrow night. No chance in HELL I'm missing this event. Bad enough I haven't been able to get the last issue of Tiki Mag. Time to get my Tiki on....

K
kirby posted on Fri, Nov 10, 2006 5:41 PM

grog doesnt need to bring a stick I carved him a club...

Pages: 1 2 91 replies