Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Hawaii Vacation Tips

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies

Knowing that great cocktail bars are hard to find anywhere, I thought this was worth sharing:

One for the Road: Honolulu
Visit any Hawaiian resort and you're sure to see dozens of sunbathers sipping frozen tropical drinks. While bars serving these "island" concoctions are still very popular (especially with tourists), there are also a host of Oahu establishments that have taken their cocktail programs to the next level. Here are some favorite spots to have a drink in the Aloha State's capital.

http://liquor.com/liquor/articles/one-for-the-road-honolulu/

Matt the Cat & I just returned last week from Hawaii & Kauai, best time ever! We stayed in Kona at the Royal Kona Resort with Don the Beachcomber's Restaurant. Went to the City of Refuge south of Kona (Pu'uhonua o'Honaunau)and saw awesome tiki's. Took a helicopter (doors off) over the volcano and saw the lava flowing into the ocean (spectacular)!! In Kauai, we booked Kauai Back Country Excursions and inner tubed down the fresh water irrigation ditches through the plantations and mile long tunnels (awesome)! And took another helicopter over Kauai to see Na Pali coast in winter. Hit Tahiti Nui (48 year old tiki bar in Hanalei town up north). The bartenders said they are going to have one hell of a party when they turn 50, something to look for! Had an awesome time.

Here's the link to my photos, and I'll post a few: Just click on the link and hit slideshow. I think it takes about 10 mins to view them all!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenokai/sets/72157625452472311/

Here are some of my favorites:

Having a Kona brew at Don the Beachcombers in the Royal Kona

Rainbow Falls in Hilo, Hawaii

Spectacular (and talented) surfing fish!

Kauai view from our condo in Poi Pu

I think Kauai is the most beautiful place I've ever been, it's so green and lush. I can't wait to go back!

Mookie

H

Fantastic photos! I love the aerial ones particularly! We were just on Kaua'i a little over a month ago (the thread is here - http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38587&forum=16&2 - and we were at many of the same places, including "Da Nui".

Really spectacular pics - makes me wish I could go back! Mahalo for posting them!

T
Tiare posted on Sun, Jan 9, 2011 11:04 AM

I finally updated my blog with our latest trip to Oahu. This was our 2nd time in the last 2 years and we really enjoy that island, especially the food. Here is the link to day 1, we were there 8 days.

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com/2010/12/oahu-2010-day-1.html

Also, in February we were on our first trip to Kauai, which wasn't the best trip mainly due to being evacuated for the tsunami and spending too short of a time there. We think we need to go back to Kauai again so we can really appreciate it. We were only there 5 days (only 1 blog post).

http://alohatiki.blogspot.com/2010/03/kauai-2010.html

I know this thread is "hawaii vacation trips." And i have many in my blog posts, but if you don't want to slog thru those here are a few:

-Go to a farmers market and bring a small cooler with you since you will want to buy everything
-get a hotel room with a mini fridge or condo so you can have some local foods around for snacks and breakfast
-watch your hotels mini fridge, it froze our pineapple, soy milk and BEER!
-go to hawaii longer then 5 days. We live in San Francisco and still had jet lag and time change issues. Really takes a few days to get use to be being on vacation.

On 2010-12-11 16:49, TikiMookie wrote:

I think Kauai is the most beautiful place I've ever been, it's so green and lush. I can't wait to go back!

Mookie

Where in Kaua'i were the photos of the honu and the Tiki taken?
I hope to go to Kaua'i this year or next and NEED to see both of those sights!

I've been away too long!

The Honu photo was taken in Hanalei, there's a pier and we walked out and just saw them swimming there.

The tiki was at this polynesian village, along the river. We drove up a hill and to the right was a parking lot, you could walk to the lookout and see the waterfall where they shot the opening to Fantasy Island years ago. If you walk directly accross the street to the river side and look down, you'll see the village. I think we paid $5 each to walk around the self guided tour. Lots of tikis and huts and information. You can rent kayaks there too, we'll do that this year for sure!

We leave on Thanksgiving for Kauai, staying up north in Hanalei this time. I can hardly wait!

Heading to Hawai'i on Friday, staying at the Royal Kona resort as well. If any of the local's want to meet up for a cocktail just let me know. Definitely hooking up with the Ginardis at Okolemaluna and staying where DtB is located. First vist to the Islands so I am hela-psyched!

H

On 2012-01-11 12:41, rugbymatt wrote:
Heading to Hawai'i on Friday, staying at the Royal Kona resort as well. If any of the local's want to meet up for a cocktail just let me know. Definitely hooking up with the Ginardis at Okolemaluna and staying where DtB is located. First vist to the Islands so I am hela-psyched!

Matt, you are gonna have SO. MUCH. FUN! I'll bet you're excited! Baz and I are hoping to take our second stay on the Big Island in the fall - also staying at the Royal Kona, probably.

Enjoy! Hopefully you'll be able to post some pics when you get back!

Heading to Kona on Saturday January 14th for a week and plan on visiting Okolemaluna a few times while we are there, definately on the 19th because that's wifeys birthday. See you there!

AT

rugbymatt & mongoloid
I would love to meet up for a few at Okolemaluna or even Don's Mai Tai bar there at the Royal Kona, tonight (Friday the 13th) I'm headed up to the Kahilu Theatre in Waimea to catch Maceo Parker flowing some funk upon the island, Saturday has been confirmed for an Ohana gathering, Sunday downtown Alii Drive is closed down for the monthly Village Stroll which will include live Hawaiian music and Hula performances on the lawn at Hulihee Palace directly downtown Kona> Perhaps afterwards or even early next week, you're on vacation so kick back and enjoy the island, if you surf - there has been consistent swell for almost a week straight.
Hope we can get a chance to hang at some point.

B

On 2010-01-27 17:01, Mongoloid wrote:

These are called Mini Coupes and are a great way to get around Waikiki, to go by Baileys get a Hawaiian shirt, stop at Leonards and get some malasadas, swing by Ono Hawaiian and get some lau lau and poi. Cant go on the highway with these but you can go over to Kailua and cruise around town exploring. Easy to park! They rent em at the Hawaiian Monarch. Shoots i think the phone # is on the picture (808) area code.

where u put da surfboard, brah?!?!?

Aloha,

Doing a Waikiki Tiki Walking Tour this Wednesday (1/18/12) at Noon... If anyone is in town, happy to meet up. Banyan Tree, Moana hotel. Be there by 12:05 at latest. Takes an hour and is free, plus you'll hear the VOICE of Don the Beachcomber.

I want to recommend this tour. It is by far the best Pearl Harbor experience possible. It makes "pick-ups" at the major hotels, gets into secret areas on all bases active 12/07/1941, breaks for lunch at an officer’s club and has excellent prices in the Tiki bar/ museum. Here is a link to the tour details and one to their new brewing company.

http://www.pearlharborhq.com/pearl_harbor_tour.html

http://www.hotbbc.com/

Mahalo!

Just spent a week and a half on Oahu and the Big Island. Most of the places we visited have already been discussed here, so I won't duplicate, but there is one Kona location didn't see mentioned. Rays on the Bay at the Sheraton in Keauhou actually had one of the best Mai Tais we found. We're not convinced they followed their advertised recipe exactly (they were missing the mint, at least), these are a lime/rum mix with no OJ or pineapple juice. Just behind the bar/area, the hotel has spotlights that shine into the water at night, attracting plankton & Manta Rays. It's an easy way to see them without even having to get wet!

AT

On 2012-11-26 19:40, bamalamalu wrote:
there is one Kona location didn't see mentioned. Rays on the Bay at the Sheraton in Keauhou actually had one of the best Mai Tais we found.

Aloha bamalamalu,
Rays on the Bay is very new, opened just last month I believe, you're the third person I've heard mention that the drinks are worth trying. I'll be letting you know what my experience is like.
Here's a link to the drink menu.
http://www.raysonthebay.com/menus/signature-cocktails-2/

Summary of Tiki in Hawaii:
http://sueelliot.com/2012/11/11/tiki-a-day

Sunset Magazine always has a lot of Hawaii travel tips.

Top 29 dining spots of Hawaii
http://www.sunset.com/travel/hawaii-mexico/food-hawaii-00418000075199/

The January 2013 issue has a big article on Hawaii.
http://www.sunset.com/travel/hawaii-mexico/aloha-secrets-00418000080534/

Beginner's guide to Kauai
http://www.sunset.com/travel/hawaii-mexico/beginners-guide-to-kauai-hawaii-00418000071642/

T

Going to Oahu at the end of April. SO excited! This will be the last of our big vacations for my husband and I. I am now 7 weeks pregnant with our first child :)
Aside from Leonard's, Chuck's, Rainbow Drive-In, and International Marketplace... what are some good suggestions for a vivacious appetite?

M

Next time your on the Big Island reserve an excursion with my old high school buddy Jeff Dickinson to get up and close with Pele and the lava flow. He has alot of knowledge of Kilauea and the islands and will make sure you are safe while you get to experience mother nature at work.

http://bigislandlavatour.com/

On 2012-01-16 21:00, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Aloha,

Doing a Waikiki Tiki Walking Tour this Wednesday (1/18/12) at Noon... If anyone is in town, happy to meet up. Banyan Tree, Moana hotel. Be there by 12:05 at latest. Takes an hour and is free, plus you'll hear the VOICE of Don the Beachcomber.

Hi We will be at Waikiki in 9 weeks, could you please tell me about this Waikiki Tiki Walking Tour.

On 2010-01-27 17:01, Mongoloid wrote:

LOOK OUT FOR THAT VAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The walking tour by Phillip Roberts is great! He does it for free, just because he likes to. You will see tikis that you would miss if you are unaware of there whereabouts. Phillip is a fun guy. He really knows the history and origins of everything in the area. He will take you through the International Marketplace and tell you all about Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic's impact on the area. The International Marketplace has been threatened to be going away at anytime, so it might be the last time you will be able to experience it. I say that the walking tour is a must.

Phillip Roberts wrote Waikiki Tiki.

Thanks Luna,

High praise. Waikiki Tiki walking tours will cease on August 15th, 2013. I will not do them after that date.

Best,

Phillip

Phil
U da man
Great tour

Jon

mahalo Nui Loa brother!

Feel free to post a few pics of the tour...

Waikiki Tiki walking tours will cease on August 15th, 2013. I will not do them after that date.

Sob! It's the beginning of the end....So glad we were able to get in on this last year. Definitely recommended to anyone with an upcoming trip.

Thanks again for a great day, Phillip.

Get in while you can!

Images from Phillip Roberts walking tiki tour. Only happening for another month and a half. Go now if you haven't and do not pass up the chance if you will be on Oahu!

And some of the many tikis and history ball Saks will be destroying...

I'm so disappointed to hear that Phillip! I'm flying into Honolulu late on the 15th of August!

Well ok, I am actually doing one more tour on the 16th for some TC members... I had previously booked it. You can come along... Email me for details...

PM sent! Thanks for the personal invite, Phillip!

Aloha,

Of course, Lori. The August 16th tour will be not only the last but most probably will be an extended one... Walk as long as you can. It is going to start LATE. 3P hawaii time. Meet at the Entrance at King's Village...

I will be back in Hawaii to get hitched to my girl in December and wiill do a tour 12/7 for the wedding party and anyone else who might be in Waikiki. So if coming, let me know!

Phillip

Congrats Phillip!!!!!

That is awesome news! Em and I are super happy to hear that!!!!

Mahalo.

So yeah, last waikiki tik tour is set for 8/16/2013.. 3P at King's Village entrance on Kaiulani.. If like come, please let me know. Will be pleased to have you. If here before that day and like to meet up shoot over an email

PR

Waikiki Tiki; Art, History, and Photographs.
Available now from Bess Press Hawaii.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-08-05 22:00 ]

Next Week! I'll be in Hawai'i next week!
I'm about to bust open :D
(and so confused on what to do after going over and over the threads here)
Just wanted to share that.
thanks, bye.

T

Which island?

O'ahu Aug 16-20
Big Island 20-23
If anyone's around would love to meet some TC ohana!

On 2013-08-07 20:08, TikiTacky wrote:
Which island?

Pauly,

I'm so confused too! And I have 4 islands to be confused about. The thing that's bugging me is that I have no idea how long it will take me to get places. I might not get to half of what's on my list.

Looking forward to our tour together!
Lori

No worriez. Can help. Gonna be a great tour. I'm even gonna tell my really dirty joke. It is filthy.

PHillip

On 2013-08-10 19:53, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Pauly,

I'm so confused too! And I have 4 islands to be confused about. The thing that's bugging me is that I have no idea how long it will take me to get places. I might not get to half of what's on my list.

Lori

On 2013-07-13 09:49, Phillip Roberts wrote:
Well ok, I am actually doing one more tour on the 16th for some TC members... I had previously booked it. You can come along... Email me for details...

Thanks for the fantastic time Phillip. The Mia Tai's were a killer. Peter & Karyn

I've been living in Kona on the Big Island since 1999 and welcome the opportunity to meet the visiting Tiki family.
Always a pleasure shrinking the spinning blue marble upon which we are all travelers.

FOUR ISLANDS?! I hope you're there for a few weeks :wink:

On 2013-08-10 19:53, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Pauly,

Lori

Would be great to meet up. I'll be staying at the Royal Kona Aug 20-23
We'll definitely be at Don's Thursday night (probably every night!), maybe I should just create a TC event!

On 2013-08-13 11:29, Alii Tiki wrote:
I've been living in Kona on the Big Island since 1999 and welcome the opportunity to meet the visiting Tiki family.
Always a pleasure shrinking the spinning blue marble upon which we are all travelers.

We're leaving on jet plane...

My husband and I leave Newark, NJ tomorrow after lunch and land in Honolulu 7pm local time. We will spend Friday and most of Saturday on Oahu and will be getting a walking tour from Phillip after we visit Pearl Harbor on Friday (with Pittsburgh Pauly). Then on Saturday we board the Pride of America to visit Maui (where I'll meet Scott & Rob, Beachbumz & MauiTiki), The Big Island (both sides) and Kauai before heading back to Oahu to visit the Polynesian Cultural Center and maybe meet Gecko.

I'm gonna come home LOADED with tiki stuff!!!!!! If you lived in a place as devoid of tiki as New Jersey you'd understand my enthusiasm for the shopping part.

AT

On 2013-08-14 14:54, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
Would be great to meet up. I'll be staying at the Royal Kona Aug 20-23
We'll definitely be at Don's Thursday night (probably every night!), maybe I should just create a TC event!

Sent ya a PM Pauly ...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies