Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Another Tiki saved! Check it out and help me identify it.

Pages: 1 11 replies

hey guys and gals. This is a huge score. I gained another Tiki last month. It is big, and screams of something historical.
http://www.geocities.com/erichtroudt/NewTiki.html
Anyone who can perhaps identify this please email me at [email protected]

Many of you have seen the website I built showing off my backyard. For those who haven't click the "tiki hut" link.

thanks for looking
Erich Troudt

Congrats, Eric, what a find! Do you realize that your page is quite funny, with the "NEW TIKI!" right next to the pix of this obviously time trodden statue? I like it. You should display it in a setting that emphasizes the "Lost civilization" effect:
Set the the Tiki in a tilted angle, get long stone column and brake it in three parts, lay them down at it's foot, Get a palm and set it in the opposite angle than the Tiki, in the style of the "Shelter Isle Abandoned Village" landscaping (BOT page 214).

As for the heritage, I can't say the site, and the only style it reminds me of would be Charlie Rosencrans, BOT page 251, right above the page number. There is another Tiki, possibly by him, underneath the sign of the Sea & Jungle Shop, BOT page 234.

Take some pix of him to Leroy at OA, they just helped me again identify the creator of a fiberglass drum I found in Palm Springs (he died this January, but his wife is still alive)

D

Not that I have a clue about any of this but, Hemet is very close to Elsinore, could this be a renegade from Danny Balsz's tiki collection?

Thanks Big Bro, for the book references and the ideas. Tipping him sideways might be best, seeing that he sticks up over the fence when sitting flat.

I've often thought about how much escaped or is still there in Lake Elsinore at "The tikis". It never opened right? Is anything still there?

this is the other tiki I found years ago in the same area
http://www.geocities.com/erichtroudt/moretikis.JPG
Its the colorful one. It is carved with a hollow hole in the middle from top to bottom for perhaps a light, torch etc. It just seems weird to me that two tikis outta the same area, with similar paint styles...makes you wonder.

Erich

On 2003-01-02 22:14, ErichTroudt wrote:
I've often thought about how much escaped or is still there in Lake Elsinore at "The tikis". It never opened right? Is anything still there?

Well, the concrete lava landscaping is still there, but after they kicked Danny out (and he, like the Easter Islanders, toppled the giant Tiki and broke it), it was turned into a paint ball survival game park. It is now totally de-tikied, and splattered with paint all over.
I was thinking to maybe organize a Tiki Central paint ball outing there some time. It is kinda sad, but still Tiki history...

Every time I watch your video Sven, I always think of what a tradgic story that was. Sinking two mill- something into your dream only to have it never fully realized.

What ever happened to the Tikis latte machine in the BOT and where did Balz end up going. Is he aware of the slow buiding of this revival?

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-01-03 11:09 ]

DZ

... and whatever happened to the "The Tikis" in Monterrey Park, the one that actually was open and wildly successful (for a while at least)? The pix in BOT are of Monterrey Park, while your vid shows Elsinore, yes? The BOT pix show a ruined, overgrown paradise - when were the 'after' photos taken? Any knowledge as to where any of the MP tikis ended up, or did Danny take them all to Elsinore?

thats really cool too bad he lived with the rednecks for so long

On 2003-01-03 11:20, Doctor Z wrote:
... and whatever happened to the "The Tikis" in Monterrey Park, the one that actually was open and wildly successful (for a while at least)? The pix in BOT are of Monterrey Park, while your vid shows Elsinore, yes? The BOT pix show a ruined, overgrown paradise - when were the 'after' photos taken? Any knowledge as to where any of the MP tikis ended up, or did Danny take them all to Elsinore?

All the pix with girls in them (Volcano, dancers, brochure) are from Monterey Park, which is now the site of a self storage company. The address is on the matchbook, go check it out. Behind the storage units there is lots of greenery and growth, maybe one could dig up some Tiki mug shards.

All other pix were taken by me in the mid 90s at the Lake Elsinore location, I also taped some Video footage. Around '97 Danny started selling of his Tikis, I led two expeditions of modcomers there then, but by then he had already sold a couple of larger Tikis (p.112) to "The Sea" store in San Pedro (now also defunkt). I ended up with two nice midsized Tikis (one is the Maori underneath the gable on p.108, originally from OA), the storyboard painting on p. 109, and two lamps (one you can see in the brochure p.113, bottom left corner).

For a while his ex wife was offering the Tikiccino machine for 500.- bucks, problem was it was all corroded inside and not repairable. Later I discovered it at a nursery on Golden West Blvd, the one with the oilrigs (Tiki News #15 "Oilrigs and Palmtrees"). They must have been investors in the Tikis and reclaimed what they could.

Danny lives somewhere in Vegas now, making Indian Leather and bead jewelery. I am in touch with one of his sons, Dan Jr, whose nickname was Tiki.

So they called him "Tiki Balsz" ? sorry folks, too much caffine.

If you think that's bad, he had a cousin named Harry! It's true, I swear, Danny told me.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.