Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

New Adventureland Mug

Pages: 1 40 replies

T

I spotted this mug Saturday while at the Disneyana Store on Main Street. It was designed by Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily. They had five different mugs, one for each of the lands at the park. There's no straw hole in the lid. Strange.

K

There's no straw hole because you're not supposed to drink from it. It's a collectible. You're probably not even supposed to remove it from the original packaging.

On 2006-11-07 23:04, Koolau wrote:
There's no straw hole because you're not supposed to drink from it. It's a collectible. You're probably not even supposed to remove it from the original packaging.

yikes! hahha........ :o better put that back in the box right now sistah!! LOL

K

Tiki-Kate - your Ooga-Mooga page is impressive - congratulations on putting together such a nice collection, and bouncing back after losing so many.

Aloha Kate! That is Tiki Fabulous! I can't wait to add one of those to my collection! It's great to see Disneyland add new items in the aftermath of the 50th anniversary. You have a Great collection Kate, One of my favorites! Thanks for the up-date.........

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 7:02 AM

Are you sure that its a mug. Does it say mug anywhere on it. Maybe its a box with a lid.

T

On 2006-11-08 07:02, teaKEY wrote:
Are you sure that its a mug. Does it say mug anywhere on it. Maybe its a box with a lid.

Yep. The box actually says "Adventureland Mug" on it. I'd love to hear from Kevin and/or Jody to see if that was their actual intent or if it was a Disney marketing decision.

I believe it IS a mug! You take off the "roof", fill the "house" with your favorite libation...and presto! A chuggerificly fine night/weekend without ever having to refill! :lol:

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-11-08 10:09 ]

...and if you just have to have a straw hole, they make drill bits to go through ceramic.

:wink:

What the heck! take the top off stick 5 straws in & suck it down!!

Kate, I hate to think it but maybe they just ....forgot the hole?....

Got treated to seeing this in person by Kate - it's a cool design. I dig the contours and the funky glaze hues.

M
McTiki posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 3:38 PM

X2 on the ceramic bits. Just a shame to have ice melt prematurely!

Nice piece sure enough.

Or, Wrap it back up in it's original packaging (like a Hotwheel)lol

Mahalo

McTiki

SsweeetT Tiki-Kate, any chance of shooting a couple photos with the roof(lid) off? Reeeally a coool design...looks like some of Tiki-tOny's characters could live in that hut!
Did you say you picked it up at Disneyland shops (Adventureland)? Mahalo for posting the pic's!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

ps. Chokest Mahaloz on all the template updates on OM!!! Your hard work is appreciated! :D

T

On 2006-11-08 19:06, TravelingJones wrote:

ps. Chokest Mahaloz on all the template updates on OM!!! Your hard work is appreciated! :D

Thanks so much. That's really nice to hear.

Here's a picture with the lid off.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 10:02 PM

looks great, thanks for the pics :)

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Nov 9, 2006 6:18 AM

Who is going in and buying one for all of us??

As much as I like this mug, now I have to pick and choose the mugs that I buy cause more than money, I ran out of space. If it was just money, I could go a few days without eating, but space is really limited and I would have to take more down to put some up. And I did want a hut that looked just like this. I was hoping to beat TikitOny to making one, guess that didn't matter. Now the Christmas Tiki Village can start.

Hey Kate- If you found yourself with extra time and wanted to take one more photo, what about one with both huts together. Doesn't matter if you get to it. Its almost like you are the first kid on the block with the shiny new toy and everybody crowds around to see. :)

T

That's a great piece.
I love the design.........mahalo for sharing!

Hi. Can these mugs be found at Disney World as well at Disney Land? I have people on the ground in DW as this is posted telephoneing 1,500 miles trying to track one down. "TIKI 911" as a friend calls it. thanks

T

Kevin & Jody did not design that. I'd like to know who told you they did! Another member of the Disneyland merch team had it commissioned.

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2006-11-09 11:21 ]

On 2006-11-09 10:57, Tangaroa wrote:
Kevin & Jody did not design that. I'd like to know who told you they did! Another member of the Disneyland merch team had it commissioned.

It's actually printed on the hang tag.

Well It's a great fun mug without a straw hole & with Fun "contours and the funky glaze hues" I Love it, when I first saw it I thought it might be Vintage & we all just missed ever seeing it. No matter who designed it ya better get one fast, Disney said they were selling like crazy now. Disney told me "The mug is not a Limited Edition although it most likely will be Limited to firing days or months". Be prepared if your not picking it up at the park, their is a $22.00 "Limited Edition" insured shipping fee, and that was quoted to go 1 hour & 10 min. away.

H

These were in Jody's office when we visted them last spring. My memory is very fuzzy about these -- my quite-possibly-faulty memory is that Kevin wasn't involved in them, and Jody was not thrilled to be involved in them. They were a sort of "Hey, those tiki mugs we made for the Tiki Room sold like hotcakes! Let's make them for places all over the park!" thing that the higher-ups came up with.

An it-would-be-funny-if-it-weren't-tragic story about Kevin & Jody's (now former) higher-ups:

When we met Kevin & Jody's boss at Disney, it was when we were helping out with their presentation of the great Enchanted Tiki Room merchandise to the NFFC (national Disneyana group). Their boss, in an attempt to make small talk with us, said "is the Tiki Room still open?" And not in a "hey, if we pop into Disneyland later, will it be too late to catch a show?" kind of way, it was in an "I haven't set foot in Disneyland in a decade, even though I'm responsible for creating merchandise targeted exclusively to people who love it, and I honestly had no idea that the attraction hadn't been removed years ago" kind of way.

well yikes! for the over paid ignorant. Thanks for the info Humu quite amusing. I must say, I do recognize that very familiar art on that mug.. but I'm not saying anything. BTW-FYI, I know Walt loved "It's a Small world" but that very valuable land would make a great Polynesian Village ya think, new thread.

T

On 2006-11-09 11:38, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2006-11-09 10:57, Tangaroa wrote:

It's actually printed on the hang tag.

I can't believe that. Even if it is on the tag! It has to be an error of some kind. Kevin certainly didn't sculpt it.

A

So, where on the Disney site is this mug?

I feel hostility? not sure why. It's a mug.

On 2006-11-10 00:35, Hiphipahula wrote:

An inferior design is being attributed to a pair of respected designers who didn't do the work. The only reason to do this is to try to cash in on the respect that collectors have for these designers, and all this is happening after the designers have parted ways with the company pushing said inferior design.

If there's hostility it's not toward a lumpy bit of kiln-fired slurry, but towards the people who would mislabel it to try to gain sales. They might as well have labeled it "Tiki Eames Shag Witco L@@K!"

On 2006-11-10 09:56, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2006-11-10 00:35, Hiphipahula wrote:

An inferior design is being attributed to a pair of respected designers who didn't do the work. The only reason to do this is to try to cash in on the respect that collectors have for these designers, and all this is happening after the designers have parted ways with the company pushing said inferior design.

If there's hostility it's not toward a lumpy bit of kiln-fired slurry, but towards the people who would mislabel it to try to gain sales. They might as well have labeled it "Tiki Eames Shag Witco L@@K!"

I saw this at Disneyland. I thought it was cute. I bought it.

I didn't realize that it had Kevin and Jody's names on it until the cast member took it out to show it to me. So I don't feel duped or cheated in any way.

.. labeled it "Tiki Eames Shag Witco L@@K!"

I have a whole set of those! And they are all NRFB, Pristine and grade A, except for the small crazing on the inside of the mug that they took pictures of but were so blurry you couldn't tell if the photos was the item being listed or something from Aunt Mary's latest endocsopy...

But seriously...... All of you graphic designers out there should understand the Work-For-Hire clauses in most of our contracts. That design may have been something that was worked on somewhere/when else during thier employment tenure and the 'boss' said I like those make it happen. It may be a insult to the designers to have thier names associated with it, but lets not forget that Disney is a huge corporation and does things like a corporation would.

And, to the mugs.... Is anyone willing to get me a set and ship to Florida? I can send monies to you via paypal if your willing to go shopping for me....

I like it too &... I bought one. Funny, some collectors are willing to buy something like a "cowboy mug with a kitty as a head" whats Tiki about that? Just cause some Great designer made it we sometimes buy it for many reasons, they only made 12 of them, or it's the only purple one ever made. I know it's not right to put someones name on something they didn't do but, as stated, that's corp. America. And I wouldn't go so far to say it's inferior. Many Vintage mugs for example are inferior, sloppy paint cheap ceramics, we still love them. Sometimes what starts as a great design with best intention gets fouled up in the over-seas production like, 3rd world kids (or adults) painting the mug for low wages. There is nothing wrong with that design except maybe the straw hole and that's personal preference. It's all opinion.I just feel this is getting to personal.

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-11-10 12:07 ]

M

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to contribute some facts to this conversation, with advance apologies for the length. The new Disney"land" mugs were designed by Kevin and I for the parks 50th, hence all of the metallic gold decals. The original assignment was to create "Tiki" mugs for each of lands to capitalize on the great sales they were enjoying with the previous" Tiki Room" mugs that we had desigined. It took me a while to convince them to do only the five original lands (excluding "New Orleans Sq., "Critter Country" and "Toontown"). Instead of the land icons (such as Splash Mountain) being sculpted in Bas Relief against a standard cylindrical shape I thought it would be more interesting to let the actual icons be the mug. I will admit that this decision was entirely based on visual aesthetic rather than Rum consumption practicality. I believe all of the mugs were planned to be sold as a set together and were designed that way. That is why there is a limited color palette for each of the five but together on display they are sheer TECHNICOLOR.

Other than my personal standard gripes about quality consistency on mass produced collectibles I am pleased with the end result. I like the hot metallic bottom stamps Kevin did using the original land fonts and that I was able to add the old Oceanic Arts Tiki panel that is still on the Adventureland entry way to this day (at least it better be).

If there is one thing I have learned from designing Disney collectables is that you generally can not please everyone. If you don't like a particular item or are unhappy with it's quality then don't buy it. I am sure that our former Disney bosses would have loved Kevin and I to only produce the items that EVERY Disney collector would want ( in their eyes that would be Princesses, Tinker Bell and "Fantasia" Mickey). With that logic there would be no room for Mr. Toads, Monorails, Barker Birds or Tiki Room drummers (and how could we live with that?)!

for those that are pleased...enjoy,
Jody (the generally silent half of Miehana)

So, I like it, too. Any one have a site where this can be purchased?

J

Here it is on eBay already (not my listing):
link

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - Shortened URL - 2006-11-28 14:00 ]

H

That same seller also has the Main St. version for sale:

I'm still looking for pictures the other ones -- the Tomorrowland rocket in particular was neat.

Jody, thanks for chiming in here to clear it all up!

T

Ha! Shows what I know... I could have sworn you guys didn't do these... Ah well - sorry for the bad info on my part!

Woohoo and I were at Disneyland earlier today and bought the last Adventureland "Sculpture with Lid" they had. The lady gave us the one in the display case. $27.00... I couldn't pass that up! It looks great in my tiki room!

I was at Disneyland over Thanksgiving and several stores had full sets of the mugs (Disneyana in Disneyland, Off the Page in Disneyland California Adventure and World of Disney outside the park.) With a passholder discount, the cost for the entire set of the mugs was $120. The mugs are quite large and have a very nice cartoony retro look to them.

TS

I bought mine today after seeing it in the Downtown Disney store back in November, and I have to say that it is a beautiful piece! I'm glad I retrieved one even if it isn't limited edition. I also like the tomorrowland piece. It reminds me of the TWA rocket Disneyland USED to have! Great job to the designers involved! Now if only the rest of the Disney merchandising team could catch a clue of cool, not so cheaply made but also affordable collectibles to sell...

T

I happened to get an Adventureland mug on a trip to California Adventures (with a big thanks to Psycho Tiki D for telling me where to look).

I thought it might be interesting to compare this with the Ohana Hut. The Ohana Hut is built to last, while the Adventureland mug is comparatively fragile.

Front:

Side:

Lids off:

Tikipedia,

I am glad you found one! Now where do I find the Ohana Hut?

I was able to get a second Adventureland mug! Why? Because I am Psycho Tiki D and I needed another one!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am because I needed another one)!

A

Hello friends,
I just returned from a weekend in L.A. and stopped by the Disneyland employee store "Company D." They now have the entire set of mugs for half price! I had previously bought one of the Adventureland mugs using a 35% discount, but I had to buy a second one at only $15! So, if any of you know any Disney employees, rush to get your half-priced mugs fast!
Looking out for you,
Atomobile

Pages: 1 40 replies