Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Stuff 21/07/2007

Pages: 1 40 replies

Y

My first Tiki. Been carving for little over a year or so, but this is the first one I've really "finished". He's far from perfect, but I feel good about him

A friend of mine asked me to make a tiny tiki to be installed as a shiftstick for his car
Be gentle with me

[ Edited by: Yubaba 2007-07-21 05:28 ]

C

Is that your first one? is really great a love The color! you are a very promising Tiki maker...Congrats!

Yubaba, nice tiki, super first try!

ST

Great Tiki - Fantastic for a first! Keep going. What kind of wood was used?

Very nice. Looks like a piece from a tiki chess set. Welcome to TC, Yubaba!

B

Excellent tiki Yubaba, really smoothe finish. What kind of wood is it and what toolz did you uze? Also, what other tikis do you have hanging around to finish up?

J

Welcome aboard, Nice first tiki. I know it's been asked, but what kind of wood is it? What is next?

JP

H
hewey posted on Tue, Nov 14, 2006 5:16 PM

Thats very nice, very smooth :)

Sweet Tiki......nice design.
Very smooth, mahalo for sharing.........nomad.

wow great job! welcome to tc also. i really like that one with the teeth, color, and smoothness.
cant wait for more

B

I like it, Yubaba. It's freaky!!

Y

It may sound cheap, but the wood is plain pine and the tools where two or three xacto knives.
Loads of sandingpaper too...
For the color two coats of mahogany stain, one darkbrown varnish wash and a coat of ship's varnish to seal him.

Tropical hardwoods are fairly hard to come by around here if you're not in the trade.

Btw, his lips meet at the back...

[ Edited by: Yubaba 2006-11-15 09:52 ]

B

Nice work, beautifu color.

Mahalo,
ben

M

Great job! It's got some pretty nice grain for pine. I love the depth of color you have on it, it's good to know you can get something really rich looking out of cheap wood. :)

B

Indeed, tropical hardwoods are extremely hard to find in Europe :(

Ben

very nice indeed "love the finish"

aloha and welcome to tc

great tiki..i love the finish keep em comin

mahalo

B

E-bay always has a ton of wood for sale at decent prices. I have found a lot. The exotic's are beautiful, but much harder to carve. You're doing great with pine and your Exacto blades. "If it Ain't broke, don't fix it", so keep on with the pine. You have anything else in the works?

Y

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Benzart, I have a few logs laying around waiting to be carved, but I need a new arrange of tools first. Just don't think the xacto knives will "cut" it...

I'm trying to start on a series of small tiki's, but I'm a little short on time right now.

Give me a couple of more days and I will be able to show more work

So how is the tiki scene over there in Belgium?

Nice piece too. Clean!
Buzzy

Y

Park Buzzy, maybe the scene here is very underground because I haven't seen any signs of a real scene yet. Past summer I saw vague signs of something forming, but all the rain in august washed that vibe away.

Most of the time when I talk about tiki's, people get this blank look in their eyes.

This little tiki was actually "commisioned" for a friend, as to be installed as a shiftstick. (hotrod fan) I will surely post pictures when it's installed, can hardly wait myself.

Y

Some new stuff, far from finished

I've been lurking around on this forum for a while and got inspired by Basement Kahuna & Tikimecula's clubs
This is my try, extreme fun

Hopefully one of you can answer this question for me, are chisels of this kind as expensive in the US as they are here in belgium?

These kind of prices depress me

[ Edited by: Yubaba 2006-11-30 08:40 ]

[ Edited by: Aaron's Akua - fixed images - 2006-11-30 12:17 ]

M

Yubaba, welcome to TC. I don't know how I missed this post. Wonderful carvings indeed. Post more!

Mahalo

McTiki

MD

Nice work......perfect balance and color.
Congratulations.

[ Edited by: Mr. Dale 2006-11-30 08:25 ]

B

Hey youbaba,

I'm impressed with the 3 tikis you showed today on your first picture. Very great work.

I agree completely with what you wrote about people when you talk about tikis. I think it is an european problem :(

Where do you come from in Belgium ? My wife has just fell in love with Brugge.

What type of wood did you use ?
What will be the final color ?

Ben.

Y

Benella, maybe we should plan a Tiki raid on central europe, together with HaiKai from Germany? I'm from Antwerp, now all we need is the dutch.
But they're probably too busy making clogs...

All the wood is pine, some bought, some scavenged

[ Edited by: Yubaba 2006-11-30 13:53 ]

Good looking Tikis! Nice work on the Solomon Club, Keep it up!

B

On 2006-11-30 13:52, Yubaba wrote:
now all we need is the dutch.

[ Edited by: Yubaba 2006-11-30 13:53 ]

Yes you are totally right !!!
It would be cool.

Keep on posting.

Ben

Nice club, man!

M
mieko posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 11:24 PM

Hi Yubaba! Great work! Are those new ones pine or basswood? They look great!

Chisels are pretty expensive, but you don't need a 20 piece set to begin with. In the US you can find straight chisels at the hardware store. I actually started with these 3 chisels for $10.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0426372712.1165562453@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccfcaddjihlgllgcgelceffdfgidgio.0&MID=9876

Hopefully you can find something similar. After you've worked with those, you can branch out into gouges, I've got 4 to begin with, and they're very helpful, and ran about $120. Most things you can do with the straight ones, it just takes a lot longer than the expensive chisels. :)

Y
Yubaba posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 2:18 PM

Hey Mieko, thanks for the compliment

I've come by straight chisels fairly easily, but gouges are hard to find for a fair price
Just yesterday I bought a set of six gouges which set me back about a 105$. Hopefully I soon will have a few larger pieces to show

The wood is a type of pine, I always pick out pieces with a very light grain and few knots

[ Edited by: Yubaba 2006-12-08 14:20 ]

B

Yubaba, congrats on the tools, you should see a big diffrence in your works with them, though you have been doing Great without them. That club is Really Killer in more wayz than one.

Y

Some new guys

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v282/StylophonePet007/TikiRider/?action=view&current=Tikis.jpg

Still need to work on the colour and smooth them out a bit more.
Hope you like them

Y
Yubaba posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 1:45 AM

Finally got some pictures up of my first tiki done with my brand new set of gouges.
Still a work in progress, but I'm proud of my work so far.
Messed up a bit on the design, kept changing it as I went along...
The wood is Laurel, apparently not very common for carving, at least not in these parts

One thing I didn't think on was this growthring, and it came out a tad strange

Hope you like my work

Greetz

[ Edited by: Yubaba 2007-02-06 10:49 ]

B

Great work Yubaba.
How will you finish it?

Benjamin.

B

Boy oh Boy, I can really see the difference a few new toolz makes, Lookin GOOD. Nice Sharp, deep detail. Don't worry about the coloring in the wood, it makes it even More beautiful. Nice work.

Y
Yubaba posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 9:41 AM

Benella, I'm still undecided as to what finish he'll recieve. People seem to love the mahogany stain on my previous little tiki's, but the grain of this wood is so fine and beautifull.(doesn't show on the pics) I would feel like a cheat to make it disappear beneath some dye from a bottle...
For now I have the blissfull task of sanding and correcting minor defects ahead of me...ugh!

greetz

[ Edited by: yubaba 2007-02-10 15:29 ]

Y

With this last one I got inspired by crazy al's tiki's, hope he doesn't mind me trying it out.
I've been really taking my time and carving at a real relaxed pace.
Hope you like it

oh WOW! great work! i like the guy that looks like it has its gums showing haha
that last one there is terrific!
GREAT work. i cant wait for more!

B

Hey Yubaba !
Just don't know how I missed your last one !!!
Pretty neat curves and beautiful teeth !

Benjamin.

M

Wow!

Just Wow.

This latest work is incredible.

Please....Continue

Mahalo

McTiki

Pages: 1 40 replies