Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

*Shake Yer Booty!* A tiny hula dancer

Pages: 1 30 replies

B

This is an itty bitty hula dancer figure I started over a year ago. I put her down one day and never picked her back up. I thought that maybe if I posted some pictures and got some response that I would actually get my lazy self to finish up the poor little girl.

She's about 3 inches tall.

I sculpted a wax-like clay over a wire armature. I used a picture of a Tahitian dancer as reference.

Any comments are welcome. Bring it! Thanks.

amazing detail. what's she made of?

H
hewey posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2006 3:59 AM

Dude get in and finish it! Yes it shows potential, but keep working on it!

:) hahaha

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-11-18 04:00 ]

B

Thanks for the comments, guys.

On 2006-11-17 22:14, kingstiedye wrote:
amazing detail. what's she made of?

I sculpted her using some clay that a friend got for me while in China. I don't know what it's called, and I'll probably never get any more of it!

It's really waxy and is great for small details. Anyone ever seen this stuff before?

S

Dav-
This is intense! I love teeny tiny sculpts... Not to do them, but to see them. Rock on!!! Keep us sculpulators informed if you find out about the Chinese Clay of Mystery.

K

so sexy! and so small - DUDE!

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 18, 2006 2:51 PM

That's not the first time GROG's heard that. Oh, wait a minute................

She's got amazing animation and character. What's to finish?

She looks alive! LOVE it.

She looks great! What is the next step? Do you use it to make some kind of mold?

B

You definitely need to finish her up. She is Amazingly beautiful, full of movement and the detail is top drawer. Finish her,finish her finish her

B

Thanks everybody for your kind words. Glad you like my little Gal-Pal. I spent some time this weekend working on her. I didn't like the skirt much so I changed some stuff on it.

Yes, the next step after sculpting is completed is to make a silicone mold. Then I'll cast a resin piece. If I still think she needs more work, I'll touch up the resin by sanding, carving, or adding to it with epoxy putty. Then make a new mold and hopefully she'll be perfect!

I'll post more shots after the mold is done!!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 10:57 PM

GROG had to steal this link off of Squid's thread. Check out Tikidav's other stuff:

http://members.aol.com/kelea98/dave/

GROG like.

Well done Tikidav. I still cant get over the detail, in the face especially. Insanely clever.

Other than preping for casting, is she finished? Looks perfect!

Tama

Whoah. Check out the link!

The tiki! The Monsters! The blades! The Jimi! etc...

Amazing skills Tdav! T3

B

On 2006-11-19 22:57, GROG wrote:
GROG had to steal this link off of Squid's thread. Check out Tikidav's other stuff:

GROG: Thanks. What did you do with the quarter I gave you for doing that? Glad you guys like my stuff.

Tama: Thanks for checking it out. One day I'll make a Tikijimi!

Gorgeous!!!
Are you finished yet?
Are you finished yet?
Are you finished yet?

:D

Great lookin gal! Makes me wanna call Dr. Shrinker!!!! Your other work is no less masterful! love the aliens on their warbeasts! Keep up the insane sculpting! You must have little teeny hands.....

B

Kikekeki: Thanks, and
yes!
yes!
yes!
I'm molding her this week so I should have a new progress picture by next week.

LLT: Thanks, glad you like my site.
Whatever you've heard about people with little teeny hands- it's NOT true!

B

I should have continued on with this thread, but using my best TC rookie move, I continued it here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21904&forum=18&2

Doh! :oops:

Tikidav, how's our little hula girl coming? And your foray into wood carving? I'm predicting your sculpting skills are going to blow us away this year of '07. Your first showings here were really good. BK good... Benzart good... C'Al good...

Bump..

Ditto that!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2007 7:57 AM

Hey Dave,

Totally dig your Site man.

I didn't know that you were into knifes...sweet work dude...are you set up for metal over at your place? Your talents seem to be unending.

I will send the picture of your clay over to one of my China dudes for translation.

Babalu

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2007 7:50 PM

Thanks fellas! I'm glad people are still making use of this thread. Did you see part 2?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21904&forum=18&2

Babalu, I was making the knives at a friend's forge out there in Ramona. This guy knew everything about working metal, but sadly he is not with us anymore. :(

Let me know what the translation is on the Chinese Mystery Clay! Thanks. :)

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 9:27 AM

Hey Dave,

I sent your picture over to one of my China guys yesterday and this is what he came to me with this morning....

"Could you take a better picture? Unlike English alphabets, each single
square Chinese word (looks like an alphabet) has its own meaning and we have
to be sure with the strokes read. The picture is not quite readable."

Do you have another picture by chance?

The other continuation thread you linked is really quite interesting too...You have me convinced to give the resin casting a go.

Sorry to hear about your metal mentor. You were lucky to have been around him.

I used to have an old coal forge, a very sweet anvil, and a cool old post vise that I passed on to a friend when I moved to SD...that was a mistake on my part, but I needed the money at the time. Go figure, now I have the room that I could set up again. Loosing that old anvil hurts the worst.

Best,

Rick

B
Bowana posted on Wed, Apr 4, 2007 7:58 PM

On 2007-04-04 09:27, Babalu wrote:
Loosing that old anvil hurts the worst.

Never let a good piece of heavy metal go!!

I'm going to scan a Mystery Clay wrapper and PM it to you. Should be clear enough to read.

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2007 7:42 AM

Morning Dave,

My China folks came back with this...

Here is the translation to each point:
Oil base "paste"

features

(1) Under Room temperature, the material is firm. it can be sculpt with details, suitable for prototyping, industrial modeling.

(2) Mild heat will soften the material for modification.

(3) A thin slice of the material can even soften with body temperature from the hand. (4)It does not stick your hand. It does not shrink, better than the other similar material.

Instruction to use:

(1)Cut the material in thin slice. Use hand to shape.

(2)To glue 2 pieces together, use hair dryer to soften and press. (3)After sculpt, the material will be hard. If you want to make minor change, use hair dryer to heat and soften it. It you have to change the shape of the sculpture, wrap it in a plastic bag completely seal and dip in hot water. You can also put it in oven of very low temperature for half an hour to soften it.

....I asked them to keep theirs eyes open for this over there. It's too bad that there was no manufactures name on it. Unfortunately, it looks like I will be heading back over there soon. I will ask around while there. Can you see me trying to carry this clay through Customs...tell me this wouldn't get a second look :-)

Rick

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Apr 8, 2007 7:56 PM

Cool! Now I'll know how to use it! :)

No brand name though, eh? I was hoping there would be so I could ask for it by name. Oh well. Very cool of you to get the translation for me though, Rick. Thanks much.

Hey we missed ya at the Chop!

B
Babalu posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2007 7:35 AM

Dave,

I was on the phone with China last night and your clay was mentioned....My guy says that the characters used are not of mainland China, and that your clay must either come from Taiwan or Hong Kong....if it's Hong Kong then its probably some small time dude buying larger quantities in bulk from the mainland and repackaging. My guess is Taiwan, however, quite a bit that is made in Taiwan makes it over to the mainland.

Whoa...how's that for narrowing it down ;-) ....not much you can do with that either.

I told Andy (my guy) about the little Army men you were doing and this got this got him interested in getting some of this clay for a couple of his people to start playing with. I told him to keep his eyes open for the exact packaging that you scanned....cross your fingers on this long shot.

Rick

C

So where is she finish finish? :)

B

Okay Babalu. Thanks for checking. Keep me posted, eh?

Clarita, I have not yet finished the hula girl. Ella todavia me espera! :)

Pages: 1 30 replies