Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kahiki Fireplace Trivia Contest - New question 3/25/07 (page 5)

Pages: 1 2 77 replies

J

A brick with the date of it's completion.

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2007-01-23 13:07 ]

M

Some wet 'crete? Something like this:

Did I win?
midnite Tanner Boyle

Morris Buttermaker is my spiritual guide.

"It's a legal rule: cups and supporters."

T

Yes, midnite is the winner! On the top of the head of the fireplace there is an inscription in the concrete with the name of the person that sculpted it. Unfortunately, part of it was destroyed during the salvage process, so the sculptor will remain forever a mystery. Here's a picture-

You can make out what looks like the first name Philip and the date.

Since PiPhiRho was close, I'm going to send him a box of Kahiki matches. Please PM me with your addresses, and I'll get the goods out to you.

[ Edited by: tikigreg 2007-01-23 17:39 ]

T

The Kahiki Fireplace contest is back from hiatus! Now that the weather is breaking and the bout of bronchitis has past, it's time to roll out the trivia juggernaut for a spin.

This bit of ephemera is known by probably only three Tiki Centralites, so you won't be able to look the answer up on TC or on the Internet. Obviously, those 3 that are privy to the information are ineligible to win, but anyone that can figure out who they are and can extract the correct answer are free to play.

So here's the question: Why was the Kahiki fireplace almost not shipped to Vermont, even though it was loaded on the flatbed of the truck and the payment details had all been settled?

This really is a toughie, so the first answer that is close to the reason will win.

[Jeff Probst voiceover] Wanna know what you're playing for? [/Jeff Probst voiceover]

This beauty! An Ooga-Booga pendant, lovingly slapped together by l'il ole me.

Happy guessing!

T

too big and unstable for the truck bed, or they thought that it was to go to the junkyard insteand. (they thought, not me)

Maybe you didn't want it to be outside for the winter,all cold and exposed.poor guy!.

would crack and crumble from the bouncing of the road

I think it was a last minute legal injunction, from the community of columbus - either to collect taxes, or on a historical level to preserve history ( a dollar late) - or maybe even a legal injunction involving IRS , no mater what, a lame last minute attempt to preserve even though the preservation hour had tolled long before!

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-03-11 20:36 ]

So here's the question: Why was the Kahiki fireplace almost not shipped to Vermont, even though it was loaded on the flatbed of the truck and the payment details had all been settled?

Cause the truck driver had a hangover? or, died, or...........

it was day light savings time ???

The truck driver had a sudden, irrational desire to sell his truck - load and all - to Walgreens?

T

Ben and Vern are heading in the right direction. It has something to do with the truck driver, but not for the reasons mentioned.

Keep guessing!

Truck driver was concerned that the load was over the weight limit for his truck?

Truck driver hadn't gotten the permit for an oversized load?
Or some other kind of permit?

T

The load was fine. The problem was with the truck driver himself. Why didn't he want to ship it?

(That's all the hints I'm givin' out now!)

The truck driver was offended on religious grounds.

Driver didn't want to deliever to a private address.

T

I think I give too many hints! Yes, the truck driver didn't want any part of the fireplace and moai, since he somehow deduced through conversation that they were used for some pagan ritual. This went against his religious beliefs, so he was refusing to move them. But Hulacat and Tikiskip convinced him they were just artifacts from a restaurant, and no bad things were associated with them.

Atomictonytiki, send me your address, and the pendant will be headed your way!

New question in a couple weeks!

This is awesome trivia, tikigreg! What a great idea, too! Turn your love for a place and its little nuances into a contest...then everyone learns a little more about your favored spot! Awesome! 8)

Woohoo I won the competition:)

Boohoo that there are such blinkered people in the world :(

T

On 2007-03-13 05:40, atomictonytiki wrote:
Woohoo I won the competition:)

Boohoo that there are such blinkered people in the world :(

Congrats! I was gonna say he was suffering from Mr. Rapa Nui envy and wanted to put the fireplace on his patio... the real answer is much more strange...

HC

Ah Yes.....it all floods back to me now ....as the driver and I were strapping the fireplace down, I was excitedly babbling about how great it felt to rescue this symbol of Tiki/poly pop culture and waxing about how many thousands had been to the Kahiki, how this, above all things Kahiki, was the most impressive. In my bloated glee I didn't notice that Merle (the driver) was intent on my blather with some concern knitting across his forehead. I mentioned how the mystery drink was presented to the fireplace Moai before serving . Merle asked if the Fireplace was ever used in actual worship (as in religious)..... Whoa! .....realizing that I was treading on sensitive ground (for him) I tried to spin to more benign turf...but just as I was beginning damage control.....SOMEONE....my friend and true blue rock of Tikidom....said "Oh Yeah, they had pagan rites and DEVIL WORSHIP every night at the Kahiki".....It was one of the best and most hilarious examples of bad and great timing ever I had witnessed.....A zinger (with a thread of truth) right in the soul of middle America!!!......So after nearly launching our truck driver to the brink of quitting our mission, we talked him down from "the ledge" with soothing tales of good food and childhood memories and family bonds akin to Disney World.......YOU know who you are ! and you're alright!

T

HA! What bonehead would do such a thing!
Hey Hulacats got some new stuff for you.
Jeff has some pics of the guy building
the Moais out front!
His name was Philip E Kientz.
The name of the business was,
Kientz custom studio
820 south 5th st
Columbus Ohio.

The guy just died last year. 7mos?
He also did the seal of ohio.
Plus a big german guy statue
that sits in german village.

On 2007-03-16 14:23, tikiskip wrote:
HA! What bonehead would do such a thing!

What bonehead...hmmm...I wonder......

Jeff has some pics of the guy building
the Moais out front!
His name was Philip E Kientz.
The name of the business was,
Kientz custom studio
820 south 5th st
Columbus Ohio.

Way to go, tikiskip, that would've been another nice trivia question! :P

Anyway, how did you guys find out who built it? One of Bill Sapp's stories?

Contest time is here again! The question this time is:

Exactly what is the object in the picture below.

First correct reply gets this nifty moai keychain, which looks like a miniature version of a black 'The Tikis' mug.

Good luck!

the base/form for the new mug/decanter?

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2007-03-25 11:35 ]

The backside of a miniature version of the fireplace to be used as a mold for a small pendant or keychain?

Bamboo Ben must have gotten a good night's rest to come up with the answer so quickly! Yes, this is the back of the wax sculpt used to create the new Kahiki Fireplace Tribute Mug by Tiki Farm. I have posted in the 'Tiki Marketplace' thread Here with details on this great new mug, and how you can get your hands on one.

Ben, PM me with the address you would like me to send your prize to.

Aloha!

[Edited to add link to the Kahiki Fireplace Mug thread.]

[ Edited by: tikigreg 2007-03-25 14:01 ]

On 2007-03-25 11:47, tikigreg wrote:
Bamboo Ben must have gotten a good night's rest to come up with the answer so quickly! Yes, this is the back of the wax sculpt used to create the new Kahiki Fireplace Tribute Mug by Tiki Farm. I have posted in the 'Tiki Marketplace' thread Here with details on this great new mug, and how you can get your hands on one.

Ben, PM me with the address you would like me to send your prize to.

Aloha!

[Edited to add link to the Kahiki Fireplace Mug thread.]

[ Edited by: tikigreg 2007-03-25 14:01 ]

Aloha Greg,
Can you donate my prize somehow to either the Heart Assoc. and or the Cancer Assoc.

You gonna have "Fire Tips" coming out with that mug?

Cool.

Here's a new question - How is the fireplace restoration going?

Hmm, It's been about six months since I originally asked so any updates?

Pages: 1 2 77 replies