Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Photos of this Tiki

Pages: 1 10 replies

I have been commissioned to carve this tiki for a client and I am not really happy with the photo that he has provided I am sure that I have seen this tiki in a tiki bar and need help if anyone has photos of this tiki can you please please post them here.

Thanks

The original was carved by Gecko, or at least he had it in his possession in 2004.
It looks like that picture was taken from page 49 of Tiki Magazine. There is a blurry picture of it with him and Martin Denny on page 48. vol 2 no 1
On the original carving thread, someone did a very close replica of this tiki. the pictures are probably gone though...
Buzzy

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-11-25 15:56 ]

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Nov 25, 2006 4:16 PM

Yeah, here it is on his site, a pretty nice piece. It reminds me a lot of the tekotekos on the Trader Vic's and Sam's Seafood menus.
A bit of a conundrum though, in that they want to commission a design created by another well-known TC artist. I'm always curious about this, as it seems a degree of "borrowing" is pretty much par-for-the-course in Tiki, particularly in using designs from the classic era.

Thanks for getting back to me guys - I think I had better clarify what I am actually after is the authentic real - historic old original piece that Gecko may have based his tiki on - I really prefer to stick to what the masters carved originally as it had a more rounded body and is more detailed than Gecko's version.

If anyone has a photo or picture of an ancient tiki of this kind (not even sure of his origin) I would really appreciate it - if not I will have to frankenstein my own.

P

Well, he's what I'd call a "Poly Pop" version of a traditional Maori tekoteko, which is usually a figure that stands atop the gable of the meeting house, but sometimes on a freestanding post or as a support element. Like most Maori figure carvings it represents an ancestor, so you want to use the tattoo designs as a rough guideline only.
Here are a few from my image folder - they should be enough to get you going in the right direction...

Wow, Marcus.

Sweet deal...

you're carving for Ocean/Earth!

Jealous!

I was just watching some videos of their teamriders doing some tow-ins at Shipstern Bluff, Tasmania. Heavy wave.

If I had a comission like this one I'd probably spend everything I made on gear from them :wink:

Looking forward to watching this one take shape!
Good on you for another great comissioned piece!

Here's a different version at Mister Tiki's Mai Tai Lounge in San Diego...

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 9:39 AM

Hey all,

TikiG made one like that as well. He is here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13434&forum=7&start=0&364

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Nov 26, 2006 10:12 AM

Marcus,

I have an extensive tekoteko image library and will share with you if you are interested. Send me a PM with an email address if you are interested.

-G

Thanks everyone for all your help - especially GMan - the emails were very helpful.

I have decided to go with the tiki that is on an old Trader Vics menu (Chicago I think) I would appreciate more photos of this tiki if anyone has any. The tiki has tattoos on its face.

Pages: 1 10 replies