Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Bamboo Crazyness

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hey everyone,

TofuJoe and I recently purchased an amazing bamboo lounge. It looks like it has some kind of infestation (little round bore-holes, and I saw a small greenish-yellow bug just hanging out near by)in one of the bamboo arms.

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks for your help!

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2006-12-01 22:11 ]

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2006-12-02 11:50 ]

Did they leave a big pile of dust?
I've seen a few pieces of bamboo with some sort of mite or beetle that leaves a lot of dust behind. It your suff is indoors, try a scented ant or roach spray. If it's a large piece of bamboo or furniture, you may have to drill a hole in it to spray the poison inside of it. There is a type of spray called "Termout" or something like Termnix... at Home Depot that has a special nozzle on it. You just put the nozzle in the bug or drill hole, hit the valve and it foams up. Clean the dust away and keep poisoning until no sign of them appear for several weeks.
One of the problems that I've heard about those guys is that they spread all over, so you need to do something right away.

Buzzy

M

you might want to consider leaving it outside or in a garage while you figure it out. I have heard of tropical imports (old and new) like palm capes bringing in bugs that devastate wooden framed houses once they get loose.

terminix could probably tent it or take it to a facility and fumigate it with methyl bromide or something similar. might be a good idea to check it out just in case.

It's going to be living outside (it faaaaaaaaaaar too big to fit in the house) anyway. Thanks Martiki, for the idea to take it off-site, because here's a funny thing:

Our garden has been selected to be on a Bio-Friendly garden tour next April, so we're not supposed to used heavy duty pesticides....

It arrived today. Here's it is in our yard.

The sellers fumigated it yesterday for me.

T

oh my

yes,

It's fascinating, isn't it? The sellers say it's from Bali. The invoice for it simply said:

BAMBOO CRAZYNESS

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2006-12-01 22:12 ]

P
pablus posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 9:53 AM

After a few Scorpions, I'd be afraid to sit on that thing.
It looks like Basement Kahuna's hair.

On 2006-12-02 09:53, pablus wrote:

After a few Scorpions, I'd be afraid to sit on that thing.
It looks like Basement Kahuna's hair.

LMAO

I think you can be assured that nobody will have a duplicate of that artifacto. Very intersting and mysterious looking. Will it be in your garden for the bio-friendly tour? You are sure to be famous for 15 minutes with your new furniture!!! Thanks for sharing the picture.

T

WOW! I love it! Don't leave it outside though.
It will rot.

F

That thing looks like some sort of TIm Burtonesgue nightmare before Tiki, yet I would kill for it. Great find.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 13, 2006 5:33 PM

Equal parts mind bendingly disturbing and cool at the same time... :)

Is it comfortable? I'll bet it moves and writhes around when you're not looking. I would be afraid that if I sat on it when no one else was around that it would eat me.

On 2006-12-13 17:56, finkdaddy wrote:
Is it comfortable?

In order to be able to lay comfortably on it, I'll need to make some kind of cushion, but sitting is just fine.

It is so strange. I am drawn and a tad repulsed by it at the same time. Is it Tiki? not sure, but it's really cool to look at. When it was sitting in the warehouse. I just kept staring at it, following each of the roots as it wound its way around the back and sides. It feels interesting to touch, too.

It doesn't look man made. I looks like it just grew that way. I think that's why it disturbs me. I can't deny it's coolness though. Was it expensive?

CL

It's sitting in the bocci ball court if I'm not mistaken. Will that be it's permanent home? Is it bye bye bocci?

T

On 2006-12-13 18:15, Coco Loco wrote:
It's sitting in the bocci ball court if I'm not mistaken. Will that be it's permanent home? Is it bye bye bocci?

Oh heavens no. That's just temporary. It's a bit awkward to move, so it got that far and there it will sit until enough able bodies come over to help move it.

On the other hand, it turns out to be a rather convenient place to keep in during the rain.

Pages: 1 16 replies