Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The unrestricted beaches of Oregon

Pages: 1 9 replies

M

I wanted to make sure Trader Woody saw this as not all US beaches have limited access.

Access to beaches varies from state to state. Oregon Governor Robert Straub, who passed away last month, was instrumental in passing legislation in the 1970's which secures all beaches in Oregon to public access. So head north from California and experience spectacular and accessible beaches. (Spectacularly cold waters too so bring a wet suit.)

Ah, the state to state thing makes sense. That explains why as a youngster I could freely enjoy the beaches of Cape Cod & Martha's Vineyard yet be denied access to any stretch of sand in Connecticut (Is that really how that's spelt? It seems horribly wrong)

Is Oregon that state which sends out artist made glass floats into the sea by the way? That seems very progressive!

So what's the deal in California? Do they force you into small stretches of public beaches or can you stomp the sand for miles on end?

Trader Woody

M

Trader Woody,
Good spelling on Connecticut. That's a tough one.

I think the Lincoln City Chamber of Commerce (north/central Oregon coast)is the organization that sends out the glass floats.
It's good for the beachcombers and the artists. Does anyone carve tikis out of driftwood? There's always huge pieces of fir and spruce washing up, especially during the winter.

As for California beaches, I don't know the law. I have visited some nice public beaches though. And the water temperature,
although not like the tropics, doesn't take your breath away like up here.

H

The Oregon coast really is fantastic -- I love going to Cannon Beach in the winter. I've actually never been to the Washington coast, so I don't know what it's like there, I just know the Puget Sound.

Other than the Long Beach Penninsula, I haven't been to any beaches in Washington either. It is so strange because it's relatively close. What's the deal? Fear of monster slugs?

On 2003-01-04 16:47, Trader Woody wrote:
So what's the deal in California? Do they force you into small stretches of public beaches or can you stomp the sand for miles on end?

I would venture to say that 99.9999 percent of California beaches are public. The only private beaches I know of are in Malibu and Palos Verdes, but there are probably a few more.

Want to see LOTS of pictures of California beaches? Check out http://www.californiacoastline.org. You can see my apartment in image #5779. 8)

W

From the stories I've seen on the artist glass floats of Lincoln City, Oregon aren't actually set free on the waves, they're left on the beach to be found by peoples looking for them.

Although Washington is the greatest state I'd have to say our beaches on the most part aren't particularly interesting. Just miles of sand and sea. There are a few spots with some nice rocky parts. The popular coastal towns are equally bland...Long Beach does have a tourist crap emporium which has a large collection of operating penny arcade type machines and some curiosities. Ocean Shores is like a strip mall by the sea. I like Westport best because it's so bleak and lifeless despite being a touristy town. Westport has the Islander motel and restaurant, an old joint with the remainders of a sort of Polynesian theme. I don't recall any Tikis but it's been a few years.

M

On 2003-01-05 02:08, woofmutt wrote:

Although Washington is the greatest state I'd have to say our beaches on the most part aren't particularly interesting. Just miles of sand and sea. There are a few spots with some nice rocky parts. (end quote)

Sounds good to me. The Coast Range running
along side the ocean is an amazing sight. Of course the mountains are a big rain trap so along with the lush rain forest environment you get the long wet season. And giant slugs.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-01-05 04:53 ]

W

For some reason the slugs avoid sea water.

M

For some reason I avoid slugs. They don't make it down on the beach, but if you camp in the forest it's slime time.

[ Edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-01-05 20:16 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies