Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What can we do to give this place a shot in the arm?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 168 replies

T

One thing that I would suggest for TC is a Tiki Architecture/Homes Category. I guess that would go under Locating Tiki, but people have Tiki-fied their home spaces and yards to the point that it needs it's own category.

Maybe call it "Better Homes and Tikis" or simply "Tiki Architecture"....

Bosko and Mike Skinner have both done symposiums about Tiki Architecture, and I'd love to see a thread like Howland's Home Bar thread where he described in photo and text how he did his amazing home bar.

THAT would be useful for us Laypeople who can't really figure out how to do that cool stuff. I think the creating Tiki thread is so cluttered up (and I mean that in a good way) with carving and painting....ie the "Arts" of Tiki, that home tiki-fying should have it's own category.

Anyway, that's my $.02

H

Yea, a forum dedicated to home bars would be awesome! So much of my home bar project has fit well into 'other crafts' because I was constructing, fabricating, painting, installing, etc. But when it's done, where does it fit in? 'Locating tiki'? The fact that I had a news paper article written about my bar didn't really fit in 'other crafts' either or party pics from my bar don't really fit in 'other crafts' or any other thread, really, unless I put it in 'Other events'. Good idea Tikiyaki-that qualifies as a shot in the arm.

http://www.myspace.com/bhowland

The Curse of Howland Island

[ Edited by: howland 2008-08-01 10:01 for misspellnig]

[ Edited by: Howland 2008-08-01 10:01 ]

T

A home Tiki "Everything" forum would be great...Landscaping for outdoors, decor for indoors - Lighting, furniture, decor , a specific section for home tiki bars, and a "how to" section.

Howland, your home bar thread was fascinating, and yea, it gets buried in with all the art and carving stuff.

Hanford...whaddaya think ? A "Better Homes and Tikis" Section ?

Yeah I gotta agree that home bars, yards, landscaping, and home projects should have their own category....that would rock.

S

Love the "Better Homes and Tikis" idea. Much inspiration from others ideas and designs.

I've been bitching that the home tiki bars need their own place for years. I think it could logically work as the third tier of Creating Tiki. My favorite posts are the ones people make of their personal tiki spaces.

Let's all torture the moderators until they do this!

I think all the home tiki bars should include addresses and maps as well...you know, so the TC faithful can um.."drop by" :)

W

I hate to poo on the parade but what's gonna keep an HG TIKI forum from just becoming yet another mish-mashed up free-for-all of posting whatever wherever?

I've never though Tiki Central needed a doctor so much as it needs a maid service.

The idea that a new forum will really make life around here more exciting is a lot like thinking that new pair of shoes is the one thing yuh need in yer life to finally be happy.

Now here's the kicker:

I think an HG TIKI kinda forum would actually be extremely useful and I'd back it 100%. (Whatever that's worth.)

W

"I think all the home tiki bars should include addresses and maps as well...you know, so the TC faithful can um.."drop by"..." -Jason Wickedly -

Agreed!

T

On 2008-08-01 13:32, woofmutt wrote:
I hate to poo on the parade but what's gonna keep an HG TIKI forum from just becoming yet another mish-mashed up free-for-all of posting whatever wherever?

I've never though Tiki Central needed a doctor so much as it needs a maid service.

The idea that a new forum will really make life around here more exciting is a lot like thinking that new pair of shoes is the one thing yuh need in yer life to finally be happy.

Now here's the kicker:

I think an HG TIKI kinda forum would actually be extremely useful and I'd back it 100%. (Whatever that's worth.)

Poop...Parade....sorry, couldn't resist.

Poop...Parade....sorry, couldn't resist.

I think the Tikiyaki Orchestra needs to see where they can get 7 of these costumes before their next big show.

On 2008-08-01 05:07, Chip and Andy wrote:
Yes, there are KoolKids here.

koolkids™

H

The Tiki-In-Our-Homes section idea is a great one that's been kicking around for a long, long time now, but as woofmutt points out, the catch is figuring out what posts do & don't belong in that section. It has the potential to be awesome, but 1) everyone probably has different ideas about what the actual focus would be and, 2) even if there is a supposed focus, it'd probably wind up just being a remix of Creating, Collecting & Marketplace. Not necessarily a bad thing, just that like many fantasies, the reality may be a lot less compelling.

Not saying it shouldn't happen, just pointing out why some of the enthusiasm on it tends to fizzle each time the idea gets brought up. But the idea keeps coming up -- might be worth a go.

While on the subject -- if you have a home bar, I would love to have it featured in Critiki. I don't specifically approach people with home bars, because I don't want anyone to feel put on the spot about it. Some folks are really private and don't want their little personal paradise on view to the world. But if you have a home tiki bar that you want to show off, please let me know, and I'll add it to Critiki!

Home Tiki Bars in Critiki

Not meant at all as a replacement for the idea being discussed here, since it fits a totally different need, but just throwing it out there while we're on the subject...

Now back to your regularly scheduled navel-gazing!

I am very new here. I have not been posting due to trying to get through many of the post already here before getting too involved. The main reason I came to this board is to learn the more DIY end of Tiki culture, get some ideas for my Tiki environment, a little trading or buying, and make a few connections with fellow enthusiasts. So far, I really like what's happening here.

The first thing I noticed was there wasn't a specific place to introduce myself. Most other boards have a spot just for this. Not only is it useful for existing members to see who's new, but it helps new people get to know the people already here.

I think it might not be a bad idea to desperate Drinks and Food to their own boards. The ratio I've noticed is about 1 food post for every 15 drink post.

I already feel like I've overstepped as a new guy, but I do this with only the best intentions.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 5:07 PM

There's nothing very complicated about it.

Just have a new general category called 'Tiki Architecture' - this would cover places like hotels, restaurants, etc., retro or modern -

...and under Creating Tiki, have a new 'Tiki Pads' sub-heading. This is for any sort of room, bar, or place you've tiki-ized.

Why not? These seem to be the two most interesting categories anyway!

T

On 2008-08-01 17:07, Cammo wrote:
There's nothing very complicated about it.

Just have a new general category called 'Tiki Architecture' - this would cover places like hotels, restaurants, etc., retro or modern -

...and under Creating Tiki, have a new 'Tiki Pads' sub-heading. This is for any sort of room, bar, or place you've tiki-ized.

Why not? These seem to be the two most interesting categories anyway!

I think the most complicated thing would be moving all the Home Tiki threads already eixsting to the new category and folder, which would involve alot of searching by Hanford, or whomever chooses to do this.

I just think that there are so many amazing home projects posted on here, and let's face it, as soon as you get bit by he Tiki Bug, the first thing you do is try to convert your living space to a cool tikipad. Being that there aren't many cool tiki restaurants to hang out at anymore, it sure seems like most people in here are trying to "bring the tiki home", so to speak.

I think, commercial architecture should be a separate sub category, as there is alot less of it, and it deserves it's own space.

Alot of "Creating Tiki" is occupied by the artists - carvers, painters, sculpters, jewelry makers etc displaying their goods, which they sell, and possibly make a living off of, and having home/not for sale threads distracts from their business endeavors. I think It's important that the artists have a space to keep them in business.

Anyway, no matter how you choose to do it, I think it's warranted.

MR

Maybe I fear change or something but I like the home tiki bar stuff being under Locating Tiki. It's cool to cruise though the many posts looking for that occasional (home bar) at the end. I also like it because it gives each home tiki space it's own thread that can be updated by the owner. One thread containing all the home spaces seems overwhelming. Besides, I don't check Locating Tiki that often and when I do (looking at home bars) I often stumble across topics that I normally wouldn't.
The huge amount of info on here could use a little consolidation. Maybe, as I've seen many times before, as people start threads that already have a place they should be directed to repost there and delete the new redundant thread. Hopefully this can be accomplished without hurting anyones feelings.
Cheers.

H

On 2008-08-01 17:04, MinnesotaChef wrote:
The first thing I noticed was there wasn't a specific place to introduce myself. Most other boards have a spot just for this. Not only is it useful for existing members to see who's new, but it helps new people get to know the people already here.

Welcome to Tiki Central, MinnesotaChef! Here's what you're looking for:
Introductions! New members post here

W

"I already feel like I've overstepped as a new guy, but I do this with only the best intentions." -MinnesotaChef-

Actually you raised a point that has been addressed before: The introduction thread is difficult to locate as it floats around in the General Forum.

You've definitely not "overstepped". If your future posts are as clear and useful as the couple of posts you've made so far you'll be the kind of member Tiki Central can use more of.

I know that there is the great resource of Ooga Mooga, but an idea hit me concerning T.C.
Specifically Locating Tiki. Could there be a rotating Section at the head of the page featuring
a different Tiki Location in depth. Compile the information in one thread into a feature presentation,
with acknowledgments to the contributors, and a link to the thread that inspired the feature.

I know it would take time, and I wouldnt want it to take the place of the locating tiki area.
I just think that it would be entertaining, and illustrative of the kind of sleuthing and most
importantly FUN this stuff really is! Heck do it with The carvers, and artisans. I know it would border
on a magazine in a way, but it doesn't have to be done on a regular basis.

Any feature could also recommend that the new user and the tikiphile dig through that mountain of information
that is there to be had. This place is a fricking mountain of info. Do a feature, everynow and then on one of the forum
topics, and I think it will encourage discussion, and so much more...

Dunno, my two cents.
tiki gardener

http://exotic-tiki-gardens.com

This place could be a little more tolerant of new folks posting previously discussed questions. I think we probably lose some folks when some Tiki fanboy races to be the first one to jump down their throat because, god forbid, some German guy asked who Orchids of Hawaii is. If you have ever worked yourself into a lather because someone reposted a topic you should really rent the movie Napoleon Dynamite and ask yourself if you are really so different. And then get back to practicing with your nunchucks.

T

Shot in the humor arm... You thinks a tiki forum would be a place filled with humor!

On 2008-08-26 00:41, SuperEight wrote:
Tnd then get back to practicing with your nunchucks.

Tiki nunchucks! Hand Carved!

And I wear aloha print ninja pajamas!

And, you are so very right SuperEight! It's just Tiki folks..... have another drink and put another record on the hi-fi.

Those that have been around a while should be like the big brothers of Tiki and help the new kids figure things out. You can still give them a wedgie if you want, but remember you have to be home by the time the street lights come on or you don't get your Mai-Tai before bedtime.

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2015-10-25 05:17 ]

bump

Pages: 1 2 3 4 168 replies