Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What can we do to give this place a shot in the arm?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 168 replies

Wow Wendy.....how exciting. I will work hard in 2007 to get my lounge up to basic tiki standards and then contact my local news folks too. What a great idea and a good way to give a little of yourself back to your community. You do have an awesome collection, and I will definitely catch the show (keep us posted on air time). :)

On 2006-12-21 19:18, danlovestikis wrote:
Hi teaKey, that's a cleaver name by the way. We are obsessed with tiki so the photos show our normal tropical family room, the room I do my art in and a corner of Dan's tiki jungle room, he also has a bedroom full. I'm hoping they do a good job on the show. We were pretty goofy in our interview. Cheers, Wendy

I don't think you have enough Greenery!!!!

Greenery Rocks! man!!

Ben I don't think that's the kind you smoke.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey Monkeyman I think the solution is obvious, you need to have a Tiki Central version of Oprah’s legends ball. Invite former T.C. luminaries, give a lot of exciting stuff away, have a formal luau, everyone will be happy, just like on TV.

Bosko

The shot in the arm is having parties like this:

Or this:

On 2006-12-23 11:24, bigtikidude wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sorry Dude,

I don't smoke THAT kind of greenery.

You might, but I don't!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Dec 24, 2006 11:10 AM

Whoa. GROG make powerful eggnog!

On 2006-12-24 10:42, RevBambooBen wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sorry Dude,

You might, but I don't!

oh sorry Ben, I did a bad thing and assumed, like everybody does with me ha ha ha!! I've only had it 4 times in my life.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-12-24 16:27, bigtikidude wrote:

On 2006-12-24 10:42, RevBambooBen wrote:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sorry Dude,

You might, but I don't!

oh sorry Ben, I did a bad thing and assumed, like everybody does with me ha ha ha!! I've only had it 4 times in my life.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

No Worries,

Have a Hippy Hiloday!

We live in a small city that has had a large number of homes converted into "grass" growing operations. They did major busts this summer finding 15 new homes that were gutted and set up as grow factories.

We got really worried because we have windows blocked for the jungle and only one that opens, when you are on the street it really looks like the photos we saw on the news. We keep hoping that our front door doesn't get kicked in by men with badges or guys who smoke.

There are no dopes here except we crazed tiki fanatics.

Wendy.....maybe you should get some tiki guards for your front door. I don't want to see you on America's Most Wanted. I prefer the PBS station for your tiki decorum!!! You just never know what goes on behind closed doors in your neighborhood.

Jesus Christ !!!

I mention Greenery,

and everyone thinks of Pot!!!

WTF? people!!

Tiki and Tiki Bars need more Greenery!!

It's not like the damn things are carved in the middle of the freakin desert!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!!

Fake plants...

Real plants...

More Greenery!!!!!!!

Arrrrr rrr !!!!

Ben,
chill out and hit the Bong man,
and Hey whats with calling me a Hippy? My parents were barely 1/4 hippy, And I hate hippys. Long hair does not equal stoner or hippy- people. though usually when I see a long haired dude walking around I think, oh whats this looser up to??? ha ha
talk about Hypocrite, thats me :)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-12-26 23:15 ]

M

Just reading through all the threads takes forever but man oh man the information. I rediscovered the Tropic motel in Seattle that I stayed in as a kid. I love this place and will attempt to become more active.

On 2006-12-13 12:28, Rum Numb Davey wrote:
For me TC is always a good reference place, and place to review products that are coming. I attempt to check up as often as possible, but the winter season is my busiest at work and tend to be more active in summer months.

I still very much enjoy this forum, and find most of it very interesting and fun.

Glad to see you posting RND, I haven't seen you here in a while. I always enjoy your posts about rum and other libations.

J

On 2006-12-26 21:51, RevBambooBen wrote:
Jesus Christ !!!

I mention Greenery,

WTF? people!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!!

Fake plants...

Real plants...

More Greenery!!!!!!!

Arrrrr rrr !!!!

Some of us are Tropically Challenged.

But we do dream of the life some of you lucky folks live! :)

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-12-27 15:28 ]

On 2006-12-27 15:08, JohnnyP wrote:

Jesus Christ !!!

I mention Greenery,

WTF? people!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!!

Fake plants...

Real plants...

More Greenery!!!!!!!

Arrrrr rrr !!!!

Some of us are Tropically Challenged.

Tht's what fake plants are for!!!

But we do dream of the life some of you lucky folks live! :)

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-12-27 15:28 ]

On 2006-12-27 19:17, RevBambooBen wrote:

That's what fake plants are for!!!

Which is a challenging undertaking IF you want to decorate the correct (meaning VINTAGE) Tiki Lounge way...because then they would have to be PLASTIC plants!

Just like Tikis and Beachcomber lamps, plastic plants were eradicated as "bad taste" from the face of this earth, and the "tasteful" cloth plants have taken over for them. But if you look at authentic Tiki havens like the Chin Tiki, they had a virtual JUNGLE of plastic greenery.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-12-28 16:54 ]

M

I suppose I'm sort of a traitor. I built a tiki bar on my back patio and named it Zoltar's Astro Tiki Bar. Many libations were had. Then one stormy Christmas a hurricane (ok I'm exaggerating) came through Bakersfield and the tiki bar (one heavy sucker no exaggeration) went end over end in the back yard as we were having dinner. My wife and I rescued it and placed it where it could not be further damaged--we thought--and picked up all the debris in the pouring rain. 90 minutes later it was going end over end through the back yard in spite of it being placed out of the wind gusts. This time the tiki gods made sure it was totally destroyed. Into a dumpster it went. The following summer I created the Telstar Lounge in my garage which is now a fully integrated part of the house. I also started a zine--SWIZZLE--none of this even remotely tiki themed. Summer is coming and during my two months off the patio is getting a pergola and a tiki themed garden. Perhaps the tiki gods will not destroy my efforts this time. I tend not to post much here because I am in the LEARNING arc and could very easily ask dumb questions (that people have already answered a bazillion times in the posts as I am finding). People here seem VERY friendly. I just think I need to get up to speed first. So if I should say something bizarre, chalk it up to ignorance and tell me nicely. This place is amazing. I never knew Bakersfield had a tiki themed amartment complex (Lanai Gardens) although there is a local tiki themed restaurant that keeps changing names (used to be Coconut Joe's). The food is great and the place is busy.

There is a great book out called Tiki Road Trip. It lists all of the places in operation and a sad list of those that once were. I heard there is a newer edition coming out soon. We use ours on every vacation and have visited many of the listed places. All the great books out like this one and the Book of Tiki and Tiki Quest are keeping tiki alive. TC is the best meeting place ever, you can find new friends in your area for your next party. That keeps TC hopping, Wendy

B

On 2006-12-06 18:24, Formikahini wrote:
Why have I not been contributing much lately?

'Cause I'm workin' on somethin'..... :wink:

You are such a tease. Oh, great pictures Wendy. Could you share more?

Hi Benehune, those are the only photos I was able to take during the taping of the TV show which is due to air in February in Sacramento. There are more photos of Dan's jungle room and collection on my web page. I'm not selling anything there, my nephew is in the business and did this as a surprise, he keeps giving me chores to add to it. It's a work in progress. One day I'll sell from it meanwhile if you go there and select "A serious hobby" you can see more of his room. Let me know what you think of this obsession. Wendy

http://www.claytikis.com

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2006-12-30 20:02 ]

O

Jesus Christ !!!

I mention Greenery,

WTF? people!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!!

Fake plants...

Real plants...

More Greenery!!!!!!!

Arrrrr rrr !!!!

AH! A new valley tikiphile mzoltarp. Welcome to TC mzoltarp. What the heck does that mean?
Sorry about your bar.
Let us know when you're going to be up in the area and we'd definitly like to check out your digs sometime. Bakersfield.....really. Last year Bakersfield was THEE 2nd hottest real estate market in the country.
There's a couple of dead palm trees still standing that I've been eyeing for a few years now, right on the 99 your area. Perfect for carving rootballs. But I think Caltrans gods own them and hell would be paid if I tried to nab them without asking permission.
Aloha!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 30, 2006 7:38 PM

oh yeh, we need more "how to" threads :)

On 2006-12-26 23:10, bigtikidude wrote:
Ben,
chill out and hit the Bong man,

Why? Kevin's a nice guy! What did Kevin ever do to you?

On 2006-12-26 23:10, bigtikidude wrote:
and Hey whats with calling me a Hippy? My parents were barely 1/4 hippy, And I hate hippys. Long hair does not equal stoner or hippy- people. though usually when I see a long haired dude walking around I think, oh whats this looser up to??? ha ha
talk about Hypocrite, thats me :)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goddamn Hippies!

Jesus Christ !!!

I mention Greenery,

WTF? people!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!

Tropical!!!

Fake plants...

Real plants...

More Greenery!!!!!!!

Arrrrr rrr !!!!

Did someone call my name pott
powerofthetiki

I am providing my favorite flower...just to spruce up the place.

What does this place need?

maybe a shot in the arm would be just the thing
:)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

B

Wendy, thanks for sharing. The pictures are great. I love how you have decorated your home, but even more, I love how you have made bowls with classic mugs as legs. My favorites are the Frankoma and the Tiki Bob Maori. Please let use know when the show is going to air. I can't wait to see it.
Benehune

Thank you very much. The show will air in February on KVIE channel six in Sacramento. I don't know yet if it will be syndicated for national airing. Dan did the tiki jungle room all on his own, I did the family room. We plan to attend Tiki Oasis 7 our first, I hope we get to meet everyone from Tiki Central there. This is all so much fun.

Joniece Frank is a dear friend and she has given me the copywrite for all of the Trade Winds/ Cultured Pearl tiki items. I'm working on ideas right now, I hope to move into ceramics one day. Meanwhile our all time favorite artist Gecko hopefully will pair up with me for the next mug after our Bloody Maori.

I'm off work tomorrow I'll have to play with clay, thanks for looking at my web page, Wendy http://www.claytikis.com

ps where are you located?

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 6:57 AM

Is it possible for any to tape or TiVo the Wendy experience and put it on youtube or something.

Hi TeaKey, when it comes out in February I'll see if my nephew can figure something out. It will be copyrighted so I'll have to ask permission. Thanks for the interest. Any photos of your art work in progress? Wendy

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 6:12 PM

just posted a mug that I got from C-mas from my dad in Other Craft. Go take a look. I just found where you made all those Ren heads. 40 some progress shots. The first couple of picture, you would have never thought that the results would be the last. cool step by steps

Thanks teaKey, I did those heads before we had one of the mugs, used a couple of photos from a friend. I try to always do step by step photos. I have more to add to the web page in the future but for now I just put a few on TC when I can. I added photos of a Zombie Village mug that I've made to that thread last night.

http://www.claytikis.com

Wendy

On 2006-12-06 11:01, Monkeyman wrote:
The original question was relevant at the time.
The activity during late October through Early December had tapered way off.
Now things seem to be up again.

If this thread has done anything to stimulate discussion then it has served its purpose.

Thanks

What's Changed on Tiki Central?

These two threads seem to have been separated at birth.

I'd like to nominate Monkeyman as the new Official Tiki Central Enforcer and Chastiser of Those Who Ask Silly Questions or Submit Three Hundred Posts Which Lack Any Content During Their First Thirty Days on the Board and Cannot Locate the Search Option and Introduce Themselves in a Whole New Thread Before Noticing That There Is an Entire Thread in Which to Do Just That.

It's a bit of a long title though and may not fit on his membership card.

Where is that cheeky little monkey anyway? I miss his fez and all the reble-rousing. :D

Things seem to be pretty crappy on TC lately so I think it's time to bring this back.

Now what happens?

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2008-07-31 20:11 ]

T

What, the GROG vs BigTikiDude wars aren't exciting enough for ya ? :o

There's a ton of Tiki Events going on this summer...more than last Summer I'd say.

On 2008-07-31 20:10, Bora Boris wrote:
Things seem to be pretty crappy on TC lately so I think it's time to bring this back.
Now what happens?

Boris, I am always trying to stimulate discussion, and prod people to post responses, but when I don't do it for a couple of days, little else seems to happen. There is great passivity. Silence. It might seem that everything has been said about Tiki. Yet to me every little facet opens a new macrocosm I could go on about. But there are also others who do good work and share it here. I don't want and cannot blabber non-stop here, and want to give everyone a chance to speak their piece.

Oh I know Sven and even though I look forward to your posts and the posts of some other people I'm fans of I can't expect Tiki Central to motivate and entertain me every few hours. I've just gotten lazy and should do something about it. I was hoping that re-opening this thread might jump start something although I have no idea what that could be but it looks like it will soon be buried under questions that are easily answered by using the search feature, things I don't want to buy and events that people try and use guilt to get you to go too*. Weee! :D

*Only if those last 2 are placed in the wrong forum. It happens.

Now what happens?

First, quit taking everything so bloody seriously. Unless it has a sharp edge or a pointy bit that can hurt you, relax.

Then, laugh more.

Then, do what you can to get others to laugh.

And no, everything has not already been discussed.

And no, everything has not already been found.

And no, the search feature is not as easy to use as you say it is.

Yes, there are KoolKids here. And yes you can make fun of them. As long as you realize that making fun of them makes you one of them.

Yes, there are idiots and fools to be suffered here. Deal with it. Treat them like the short-bus kids..... firmly but with care.

There are books to write, things to buy and sell on ebay, things to make or recreate.

Go.

Do all those things. And more.

And smile while you are doing it. This is Tiki, it is supposed to be escapism. You are supposed to enjoy it,

W

***Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.

Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy. ***

Or something like that.

B

It could be that there is much angst in the nation and life is stressed right now for so many, despite W's reassurances.
Then again..... He really does still believe.

Perhaps that reflects in social forums such as this.

But...That's way to heavy and I could argue with myself that the forums would be the natural place to find solace from the daily stresses of life. I certainly use it that way.

I think a good percentage of the "Chaffing" that takes place is simply reading to much into written comments and knee jerk reactions to them and... yes, taking it to seriously. Thats not to say that there are not Bonehead posts.

So.....what's to be done. Keep your sense of humor, I really, really look forward to posts by Chip & Andy, You guys crack me up and I look forward to the time that life allows me to socialize more frequently with the local Ohana. I just gotta make it happen!

Try and coordinate and/or attend local and regional TC gatherings.

Chops, Crawls (support your local tiki bar!), Home Bars, and TikiKiliki's going away party at the MaiKia next Friday, and post pictures and follow up in the forums after the event.

Contests.
These are fun and illicit interaction. Vendors could sponsor or donate prizes to contests. Best Mai Tai Picture, name that tiki planter, Name my Tiki Bar. Yes it's been done....so, do it again, stimulate the newbies. Or issue a challenge. Take a picture of a celebrity with a mug, Pictures of your mug or a friends hijacked mug on your travel adventure (the gnome thing)

or a "feature your local tiki bar in a youtube video".

I don't really find TC stagnated, granted, I have only been posting and interacting for a few years and did not experience the "heydays" I suppose, but I find it rich with humor, artistry and information and love the carving forum as not only an educational resource but find it inspirational and it challenges me.

This is an amazingly creative group and as long as peeps keep sharing that creativity and humor here it will never get boring for me!

Lastly, I think that everyone should use more images in there posts and keep them much shorter than this one.

On 2008-08-01 07:15, Bohemiann wrote:

BwaaaHaaa haaa haaa! :lol:

Its a BenzBomb!

OK, that made milk come out my nose!

a Benzedo!!

R

"Damn the Benzedos, full speed ahead!"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 168 replies