Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Reaching non “forumy” tiki people

Pages: 1 1 replies

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 6, 2006 6:34 PM

Hey folks, got an issue/concept/idea Ive been throwing around, thought I’d throw it out there and see what people think.

TC is tops, both as a resource, and also as a communal meeting point. The problem is, many people are not forum type people.

The issue in Australia is that most tiki stuff goes under the radar. If you’ve got the right connections, you’ll hear of stuff on the grapevine. Maybe. If you don’t have the right connections, well, Australia can appear to be a tiki void. And that’s not exactly encouraging people to stick around is it?

My initial idea was great. I’d produce a regular Aussie tiki newsletter, to be emailed to whoever was interested. It was to include the key areas that make up TC, but only cover Australia. It would evolve and develop as it grew, depending on what people wanted out of it. Maybe even interviews with international artists, and get their comments on how they viewed tiki in Australia. And although many people are forum type people, MANY are email people. And it’s also easily distributed around.

Yeh, not a bad idea. I even started on the first issue. Then life got in the way, and it stopped in its tracks stagnant for months… One of those “one day” projects.

I still think it’s a good idea, but it’s not going to happen, not to the extent I envisaged.

So the question is – how do we engage the non-forum tiki people? I don’t think it is such an issue in the states, but it might be worth thinking about to help promote tiki. But in Australia I see it as being a pretty good idea.

My current thinking is to establish an Aussie tiki email ring. When someone like Marcus does a gallery showing, he emails it out to everyone to let them know. When Mr Mai Tai is involved with a tiki burlesque night, same deal. Having said all of this, it would always point people back to TC as the best CENTRAL cluster of tiki goodness on the web, with like minded people. I’d have to be careful of people spamming tiki stuff, but some rough guidelines would useful.

So, after an extremely long-winded and winding post – what do you think? Is this a good idea? How else could it be done? How is the best way to start an email ring?

Thanks, Hewey

Hi Hewey, I found out just how useful it is to have a network. Just recently I found people in my area by reading TC. Then I used TC to set up a tiki sale and party with a tour of Dan's tiki collection within 24 hours. We had a blast doing it and made new friends that are close by.

Your island is missing out on all the fun if they don't use TC. You setting up and email ring could sure help it to grow faster. I know we met through TC and I treasure meeting you. Maybe the artists could put a route to you or TC when they email out their show notices.

Good Luck, Wendy

Pages: 1 1 replies