Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

sams seafood reopening!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies

S

Hi, we are reopening Sams Seafood real soon, we are trying to restore it to the best we can, cleaner and better food and try and keep the look the same but update it. If you have any question just post them and I will reply. Alan

T

Better food and drinks would be very welcome! Mahalo for reopening it! I hope to be able to visit the weekend before New Years day.

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-12-07 12:27 ]

How exciting - You should update Sam's Seafood page on Critiki!

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2006-12-07 12:34 ]

Wow! There's some good news if I ever heard some! It makes so much sense for a Southern Cal beach town eatery to keep the original Tiki theme, congrats guys on sticking with it!

TS

Hey Alan,
I called you a few weeks ago asking what was going on over there! Glad to see you came to TC to share with everyone, and keep us posted on the Grand Opening....We should have a Grand Re-Opening party, right!? haha
-Tom

T

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! That's some of the best news I've had in a while! That totally made my Christmas!
The missus and I had the rehearsal dinner for our wedding at Sam's. Been there several times, and always had fun. So, when is the restaurant officially open again?!

Now here's an idea. You guys should have TikiFarm or Munktiki make you up some new tiki mugs in the style of the old Sam's mugs! That would be killer!!!! I think everyone here would buy 'em.
Here's a link to an old thread with some pictures (Thanks Sabu!)

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2006-12-07 15:23 ]

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2006-12-07 15:25 ]

Really looking forward to visiting Sam's! Thanks for reviving it.

Yes, Please keep us posted of the GRAND REOPENING DATE! :D

There aren't any other Tiki Locations that are going to just resurface from the dead!

This is truly a rare and special occasion! :o

I hope you do plan to have a special SAM'S MUG and a Big Party and Mrs.Mojo and I will try to make down from the SF Bay Area for the event!

CONGRATULATIONS AND THANK YOU!

T

Maybe in March, when I'll be out for a visit? Hmmm?

T

On 2006-12-07 11:44, samsback wrote:
we are trying to restore it to the best we can, cleaner and better food and try and keep the look the same but update it. If you have any question just post them and I will reply. Alan

The word "update" always scares me a little. Would you mind elaborating a little?

Thanks a bunch. This is great news.

T

Has this been confirmed? I hope it is not some cruel joke.

Can you give us the backstory? Is Sam's open permanently, or is it just until they sell the property?

If this is true, then it would be awesome!

TS

Its true.....a few weeks ago,I was driving down PCH to go to newport from LAX area with my better half, and saw that the side doors to the room were open. I told my GF that we'd stop in on our way back and have a drink or 3. Well long story short, I pulled in coming back from newport to have those 3 drinks and the place was locked up with no one in site and the doors to "the hidden village" had been shut. Then it scared me, when I saw the dumpster which was overfilled and there were old plastic plants, dirty palm coverings, and what looked to be soda fountain lines that carry the syrup to the dispensing nozzle in the trash. I thought, could Sams really be on its way out now? If at a glance, it looked like the place was being gutted by the looks of the dumpster. Anyhow, coming home, me and the misses were talking about how sad it is, since the place was absolutley beautiful inside with the waterfalls and the ambiance of the hidden village is like non other we've experienced together in SoCal(Bahooka is closest match,but more nautical than tiki to me). So I called the following day, thinking nobody would answer the phone, but alas...."Sams Seafood,"?...said a man on the other end of the phone. I said "Yes, I'm curious if you are still open for business?" The man said "Yes will be back open in 2 weeks. We are updating the drink dispensers and fixing some stuff that has fell in need of repair. He told me about a few problems that they were addressing, but assured me they would be open soon, bringing back the dinner shows after they work out the details and dates. I can only say that I was relieved. After seeing that dumpster filled with the old plastic foliage and all the old palms, I could only think of the worst. It was Alan that I spoke to that day on the phone, and I am looking foward to going back to patronize Sams! Thanks Alan!

Samsback, can you answer history questions about Sam's decor?

Would you know with any certainty who carved any of the various tikis?

Or, from what vendor were they purchased?

Were the painted ones in the bar delivered that way or were they painted in later years? A manager told me they were painted about 20 years ago but didn't know if that was the first time.

Sam's didn't start out as a tiki bar; about what year was it "tikified"?

Thanks for anything you can tell us.

I've never been there; may never get there but I'm happy to hear about Sam's. Hooray!

I went to Sam's periodically when in High School...often Banquets were held there, which was pretty sweet.

I went back a few summers ago, after a million years, and while I was happy it was still open, the place was very dirty, had insect infestation, and electrical problems (Big trouble for Restaurants)

I'm really happy someone (Samsback) is putting some time and effort into the place. Better food will be a great leap. I hope too that you can open a little shop and sell Sam's stuff for Sam's enthusiasts!

Thanks for all the work. It would be distrassing to see such a fantastic place become a Starbucks, nail salon or Condos.

Aloha.

I met with Allan the other day.

Sam's is on it's road to recovery.

They're doing what they can to get the doors open so,

don't get all snippy if there is slight change.

MAhalos

Bamboo Ben.

On 2006-12-08 08:46, RevBambooBen wrote:

Isn't that the idea for grand openings :)

The world outside of TC needs to know. How about posting updates on the official webpage?

http://www.SAMSSEAFOOD.COM

T

Aloha.

MAhalos

Bamboo Ben.

Shootz! If Ben is there, then we have no worries! For those worried about updating, I'd have no fears. Ben does top notch work! If the place is getting cleaned up, and the new owner(s) are willing to put some dough into a bit of refurb, then kudos to them.
Can't wait to get back to Sam's and get me a scorpion!

All is Good!

Soon,

The Only Real Tiki Bar in the OC will be open again!

Hang tight or Hang Loose!!

T

Mr. Ben could you tell me if the bus stops by Sams?

Part of me wishes I never left the OC. The other part steps in it.

Mahalos all around to the ohana who are keeping us in the loop. Sam's was closed the day we stopped by when I was out for New Years last year and I was afeared that an opportunity was forever lost. Now it looks like all is well with the World. Good luck to the folks re-opening this OC gem.

Aloha.

MAhalos

Bamboo Ben.

Interesting question. Is a de-tikified, or reduced tikified, Sam's which is open better the incredible classic tiki bar mecca, complete with thatch, that Sam's used to be when open?

Is a new watered-down version a ongoing humiliation to the memory, or is any tiki, in whatever state (although if Bamboo Ben is involved it probably will be good), better than no tiki at all?

[ Edited by: christiki295 2006-12-16 22:32 ]

Dr. TikiMojo,
I am both insulted and offended by your ridiculous photo. What gives you the right to mock Polynesian culture by mimicking the traditional Maori Ta Moko tatau? Your photo is pure buffoonery and in bad taste!!! It borders on dressing up in "Black Face"!!!

Get educated!!!

[ Edited by: MTKahuna 2006-12-16 12:56 ]

P

Is that what that is supposed to be?
I thought it was a leprechaun/Celtic marking of some sort.
Guess the hat threw me.

Hey what do I know?

Except uke chords.
Those I know.

On 2006-12-16 12:47, MTKahuna wrote:
Dr. TikiMojo,
I am both insulted and offended by your ridiculous photo. What gives you the right to mock Polynesian culture by mimicking the traditional Maori Ta Moko tatau? Your photo is pure buffoonery and in bad taste!!! It borders on dressing up in "Black Face"!!!

Get educated!!!

Dear Dr. Tikimojo,
I too, am greatly insulted and offended by your photo. You see, I am 1/235 Cherokee Indian. As far as the tatau issue goes, as a Native American I could care less. However, what offends me is the fact that you used the medium of photography. You see, I saw on an old movie that redskins think that when you take a picture, you are actually stealing the soul from the person being photographed. Therefore, what gives you the right to steal the soul of the person in the photograph? This is as bad as doing the tomahawk chop at an atlanta braves game.

Watch more TV!!!!

I'm also a Spanish moor, so watch out or I will rape and pillage your culture...

Oh, too late!
Modern California Christmas Polypopart Tikis For Sale! PM Buzzy before Chakunah ends!

Who the hell is Sam anyway?

If You Don't Agree With Me Then You Are A Racist Buzzy Out!

Just curious: I thought Dr.TikiMojo's pic was of Eric Idle from an old Monty Python skit. Am I correct?

The hat reminds me of those the Beefeaters wear at the Tower of London.

P

Come to think of it, Bamboo Ben's picture is a little disturbing.
I want to swab the decks and shiver some timbers every time I see it.

tj, I don't think that's Eric Idle.
KnowwhatImean - winkwink - nudgenudge - saynomore.

M

On 2006-12-16 18:20, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2006-12-16 12:47, MTKahuna wrote:
Dr. TikiMojo,

Get educated!!!

Dear Dr. Tikimojo,
I too, am greatly insulted and offended by your photo. You see, I am 1/235 Cherokee Indian. As far as the tatau issue goes, as a Native American I could care less. However, what offends me is the fact that you used the medium of photography. You see, I saw on an old movie that redskins think that when you take a picture, you are actually stealing the soul from the person being photographed. Therefore, what gives you the right to steal the soul of the person in the photograph? This is as bad as doing the tomahawk chop at an atlanta braves game.

Watch more TV!!!!

I'm also a Spanish moor, so watch out or I will rape and pillage your culture...

Oh, too late!
Modern California Christmas Polypopart Tikis For Sale! PM Buzzy before Chakunah ends!

Who the hell is Sam anyway?

If You Don't Agree With Me Then You Are A Racist Buzzy Out!

Buzzy you're way-out.
I'm highly aware of the PolyPop and tiki revival. Hell, I'm a big supporter!!!
But, the question that I ask myself is "Where and when do I draw the line?"

I strongly take offense to the images that perpetuate negative stereotypes. That photo is ridiculous (regardless of who it is). If you’re someone who believes that it's okay to show images of “drunken Indians”,“lazy Mexicans” or "savage Polynesians" then perhaps you should evaluate your own insecurities and short-commings.

Once you’re done justifying your ignorance by your blatant disrespect for other cultures, perhaps you'd be interested in the truth.

I'd like to invite you, and anyone else, to an educational Polynesian event.
PM If you’re interested.

MT Out!

Just take your time-wave comes. Let the other guys go, catch another one.
**D.Kahanamoku **

[ Edited by: mtkahuna 2006-12-17 18:35 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Dec 18, 2006 2:10 AM

Dr. Tiki GROGO would like to apologize to MT Kahuna. Dr.Tiki GROGO will stop painting Dr. Tiki GROGO' face. Dr. Tiki GROGO not mean any disrespect to MT Kahuna and Dr. Tiki GROGO appreciate MT Kahuna enlightening Dr. Tiki GROGO error of Dr. Tiki GROGO' way. Is it OK if Dr.Tiki GROGO keep wearing silly looking hat?

P

Hey! I spot a "Hidden Mickey!" I'm not only offended...but I'm contacting Disney Legal to see if there's any reward if I turn you in, and they successfully sue your face off for copyright infringement.

:wink:

[ Edited by: MTKahuna 2006-12-21 15:27 ]

keep up the good work!

I was hoping to hear that they are bringing back Sam's. Ben, let me know when you're going there next and I'll grab some drinks with you.

On 2006-12-07 11:44, samsback wrote:
Hi, we are reopening Sams Seafood real soon, we are trying to restore it to the best we can, cleaner and better food and try and keep the look the same but update it. If you have any question just post them and I will reply. Alan

Wow, there IS a God ! That menu could use a nice update, but the inside was perfect as is. Whatever, I'll take it.

Please keep us posted here.

Any interest in saving La Mariana Sailing Club in Honolulu ?

A Little Tiki told me last night that the Menehunes have been working their booties off day & night getting the place shaped up. They even had the Sam's sign lit up while they were working last night :)

These are 2 out of 4 of some old odd hut lamps that we dug out of the "chamber" below Sam's that I'm re-furbishing for them.

As soon as they get their floors done

( contractor said 2 days. Ummmmmmm, 3+ weeks.........doh!)

the Bamboo Ben magic is gonna take place. Will post more soon....They want to open the dine room and bar by Feb.

Pray to the tiki gods for smooth sailing!

Trying to mix in a lot of Sam's past. Before the 80's rattan and mural crap. More stuff from the " chamber" will be used.

T

Does anybody know if Sam's will continue with the Polynesian Spectacular show?

Love that show... and Sam's!!!

H

I prey to tiki gods for Bamboo Ben to guide Sam's into the right place..Yessssss...!!!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Jan 7, 2007 4:54 AM

Hey, Bennie, what else did you find in the "chamber"??? I've been hearing about the downstairs bombshelter for years, but nobody has been allowed down there until YOU! You're the Indiana Jones of Tikiworld!

Is the door that small one behind the bar?

Find any shrunken heads? Nude paintings? Huh? Huh?

Cool Ben, finally you have a gig close to home! Those hut lamps look Japenese in their basic style, interesting. Are they gonna get the waterfall in the Hidden Village going again?

And is there anything "Tiki" left in the joint across the street, which once was Noel's? Maybe you can talk them out of it...

Sven,
are you talking about Taco surf? There are a few big tiki's outside.
But they are all painted horrible clown colors.
Can't remember about the inside. very south of the border feel which isn't bad, just not tiki.
I saw some surf bands at Taco surf. and many surf bands at Sams.

I love it when surf, and tiki , and mexican food come together.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2007-01-06 20:46, tikipedia wrote:
Does anybody know if Sam's will continue with the Polynesian Spectacular show?

Love that show... and Sam's!!!

I hope so, I love the Sam's luau!

The wife and I made a run to LBC saturday night to check out "The puka bar", after a couple of drinks (good stuff, cool place), I decided to go by sams to see if the place was gutted and history (also to look for a dumpster!). We got there maybe 8pm and looked inside, what I saw lifted my heart!, lots of work was in progress and all the main tiki stuff was intact!. I had not read about the re-opening so I was getting happy, hopeful thoughts. Then as we were going around the side looking for the "dumpster" for a little keepsake, we get passed up by 3 folks making their way to the door, so I ask if they are involved in working on the place, one of the guys says they are restoring the place, updating the food (thank god) but keeping the good stuff intact!!. I almost did the snoopy dance right on the spot!!. They said the old owner had let the place slip and they were going to bring it back to the condition it deserved. I met a guy named Bill that was one of the partners and thanked him and the guy doing the floors (alan?) and told them how important the place is to alot of folks all over the USA. I am so damn grateful that Sam's is coming back. They said maybe by st.patties day. Please be supportive of this effort and like Ben said, try and not get too caught up in complaining about the little details that may be different, just thank the guys for saving the place and not turning it into a Russian mafia owned bikini bar like KELBO'S!!.I am so damn happy to hear about this place coming back!, I was really depressed when I thought it was history. Let's pray for good food and grog!. Mahalo. TWT

don't get me wrong, I love Sam's.
But lets hope that they do as much to refurbish the food and drinks there, as they are doing to the building.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[i]On 2007-01-08 04:01, twowheelin'tiki wrote:[
They said the old owner had let the place slip and they were going to bring it back to the condition it deserved. I met a guy named Bill that was one of the partners and thanked him and the guy doing the floors (alan?) and told them how important the place is to alot of folks all over the USA. I am so damn grateful that Sam's is coming back. They said maybe by st.patties day. Please be supportive of this effort and like Ben said, try and not get too caught up in complaining about the little details that may be different, just thank the guys for saving the place and not turning it into a Russian mafia owned bikini bar like KELBO'S!!.I am so damn happy to hear about this place coming back!, I was really depressed when I thought it was history. Let's pray for good food and grog!. Mahalo. TWT

Nice field research, TWT.

Good point about Sams in any condition - just so long tiki - is better than no Sam's at all.

T

MDK: I strongly take offense to the images that perpetuate negative stereotypes. That photo is ridiculous (regardless of who it is). If you’re someone who believes that it's okay to show images of “drunken Indians”,“lazy Mexicans” or "savage Polynesians" then perhaps you should evaluate your own insecurities and short-commings.

I wasn't going to read this thread and then I thought that I would look for pictures and read the captions around them. Man, was I happily surprised to see the Grog's photo. Very funny on many levels.

I can't see were painting your face Maori, would be anything like painting your face black. One can only be born of darker skin and painting your face is a attack dealing with past injustices.

Once you’re done justifying your ignorance by your blatant disrespect for other cultures, perhaps you'd be interested in the truth.

I'm interested in the truth, can someone enlighten me here on TC?

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-01-10 05:42 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies