Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

sams seafood reopening!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies

On 2007-01-10 05:41, teaKEY wrote:
I'm interested in the truth, can someone enlighten me here on TC?

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

On 2006-12-16 10:09, christiki295 wrote:

On 2006-12-08 08:46, RevBambooBen wrote:
Aloha.

I met with Allan the other day.

Sam's is on it's road to recovery.

They're doing what they can to get the doors open so,

don't get all snippy if there is slight change.

MAhalos

Bamboo Ben.

Interesting question. Is a de-tikified, or reduced tikified, Sam's which is open better the incredible classic tiki bar mecca, complete with thatch, that Sam's used to be when open?

Is a new watered-down version a ongoing humiliation to the memory, or is any tiki, in whatever state (although if Bamboo Ben is involved it probably will be good), better than no tiki at all?

[ Edited by: christiki295 2006-12-16 22:32 ]

They're trying to bring it back from the 80's I-HOP CRAP that killed it!

Think, early tiki.

More on the lines of CLASS and/or Swank?.

The Bar and Dinning Room will be open first.

No Tiki's will be tossed. If anything, more will be added.

Stay tuned.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jan 10, 2007 8:40 PM

RevbambooBen pulling this thread back on topic.

B-Ben gets 3 extra credit points.

T

Any new news on an opening date?

I have neglected to read this whole thread as I thought it was done. I can't tell you how happy we are to read that Sam's will be restored and reopened!! We should have a big shin dig to re-christen her!

Since the close of Royal Hawaiian and all, well, we've been starving down here in south county. We were looking at pix of RH and Sam's the other day and the heartache I felt was physical. Specially The Royal. The air of the past clung to the walls with layers of memories. You could almost here the chats that took place there in the past; Sputnik, Kennedy, the Cuban missile crisis, oil embargos, free love, I'm starting to sound like a Billy Joel song... The swank seeped into that place and stayed. God I miss it.

So lets make Sam's just as great! Someday our grandkids will look at old pix of us in our retro swank, Hawaiian shirts, and funny hats and they'll wonder if that cool looking place is still open. Hopefully, when they walk in, the memories will reach out from the walls and embrace them. They'll feel our presence as they sit at the bar. Here our laughter and ice clinking in our glasses as they study the tikis. Realize that we lived, laughed and loved just like they do. And left a bit there, sandwiched between the dust layers on the lamps and walls.

Wow. Those old qualudes I found in an old purse seem to be just fine! I think they have no potency left. Sgood.

[i]On 2007-01-10 19:41, RevBambooBen wrote:

They're trying to bring it back from the 80's I-HOP CRAP that killed it!

Think, early tiki.

More on the lines of CLASS and/or Swank?.

The Bar and Dinning Room will be open first.

No Tiki's will be tossed. If anything, more will be added.

Stay tuned.

This news is better than could have been hoped!
I would have been satisfied with a cleaner Taco Surf.

The tiki gods are smiling upon us.

Jeez Hau 'oli Tiki, you got me all misty, y'otta be a writer!.

Cheese and Crackers! When I went back and read that, I cried, myself!!
You all gotta remember something about me... I can not hold my liquer and I have anterograde amnesia! I had a few nightcaps that evening!
But it IS a purty thought!

we're in design work on 2 new mugs for Sam's. 1 is a brand new design & the other will be a repro of their original design, which if anybody has an original (yeah right!), can you send me multiperspective photos. I recall that it was similar to the illustrated one in their drink menu but I recall that it had a shorter forehead. Any light to be shed on this - that'd be very cool. By the way, the designer for the new mug... I thought it'd be cool to have Sam's Seafood mug designed by Sam Gambino.

On 2007-01-17 17:54, MakeDaMug wrote:
we're in design work on 2 new mugs for Sam's. 1 is a brand new design & the other will be a repro of their original design, which if anybody has an original (yeah right!), can you send me multiperspective photos. I recall that it was similar to the illustrated one in their drink menu but I recall that it had a shorter forehead. Any light to be shed on this - that'd be very cool. By the way, the designer for the new mug... I thought it'd be cool to have Sam's Seafood mug designed by Sam Gambino.

The hits keep on coming!

Better and better every day.

T

On 2007-01-17 17:54, MakeDaMug wrote:

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I'm so excited I had to say it three times. This is fantastic news! It's great that the new owner(s) are willing to try out a repro design of the original. Can't wait to see pics.
Thanks for the great news, Holden! That totally made my day!

Keep an EYE out

for some pics

in the near future..........

New Bar Equipment. Clean Drinks!!

New Bar Face. Clean Legs?!

More in Da Future.....

Anyone want to buy the 5 Etched Glass Pannels in the main dining room?

Call Sam's!

SS

Sam's reopening! This is all too cool. I was so bummed about what was happening to all the LA tiki restaurants. I would go to my basement tiki bar and wonder if I was a dinosaur caring about this stuff. But now it's like that was all a bad nightmare.

Yes! That is such good news! Whoohooo!

And has anyone heard anything about the Royal Hawaiian reopening? I drove past there recently and there was a sign outside stating that it will be reopening after renovations. Hopefully this will mean double the good news of Sams coming back...

P
PremEx posted on Thu, Mar 8, 2007 2:03 AM

And has anyone heard anything about the Royal Hawaiian reopening?

There have been a few posts in the Royal Hawaiian thread the last week or so:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4913

But no first hand reports of late. Mainly just drive-by's like yourself asking the same question.

:)

I know it was mentioned that Sam's was reopening on the weekend of the 17th, but is that a firm date? I'm going to be in SoCal this weekend and it bums me if I'm going to miss the reopening by one week. But I'll be back!

Oh, somehow I missed the Royal Hawaiian thread...but still, at least Sam's will be back.

You all had a going away party, maybe you can have a welcome back party....to sort of bookend the whole thing. Just a thought.

Well, back to watching the Hawaiian Eye...

This is great news. My wife and I decide to make the two hour drive there for the first time last year, and just our luck, they had just closed. So I'm thrilled they will be reopening. How often does one get a second chance.

T

Any info on the reopening date? I'd love to check it out!

The wife and I went to sams yesterday and they are not open yet. The folks said around st.patties day, but no such luck. The outside is painted a dark green with orange trim, I liked it, the wife gave it the stink-eye!.The inside that I could see looked maybe halfway done , bit damn nice!......Good things take time.

T

Thanks for the update!

I went by there today too, tons of work going on.
full on Restoration going on.
alot better than Royal Hawaiian.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Keep the drive-by updates coming!

T

I called Sam's yesterday and got their voicemail. All it said is they are doing Spring cleaning and are open for catering only. The wife and I ara really looking forward to the grand opening.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

R

I can't tell you all how happy this makes me. When my Hubby and I drove past Sam's in Nov./Dec. and saw the "For Sale" sign....Well, we thought for sure there would be some new Condos going up soon.

SOOOO glad to be wrong.

We'll be there with shells on for the re-opening!

T

Good job with the phone call Tikiatt. I can't wait until Sam's is open again.

UB

Just called;
Mid May or near end of month.
They must be doing a complete over haul.

Heard thru the rumor grapevine it may not be a 100 Trad. refurbish.
will have to see.
fingers crossed , hopeing for the best.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

M

With the help of Bongofury and Sabu, we were able to replicate Sam's original mug design and bring it back to life. Here's a copy of the sculpt & the directional notes.

Since the dimensions are in metric and the bulk of us are likely "metrically challenged", it will finish off at approximately 7 3/8" in height. The mug will be available to purchase at Sam's exclusively sometime this summer.

Mahaloz!
Holden

[ Edited by: MakeDaMug 2007-04-03 18:47 ]

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Apr 3, 2007 6:55 PM

man, that's sweet. did dave do that?

M

Dave did the rendering but not the sculpt itself. If Squid did the sculpt, you wouldn't see a revision comment :)

P

That is an absolutely gorgeous sculpt and drawing. I wish I was as technical when it comes to drawing tikis. Very nice!! applause

On 2007-04-03 18:46, MakeDaMug wrote:
With the help of Bongofury and Sabu, we were able to replicate Sam's original mug design and bring it back to life.

Mahalo, Bongofury and Sabu!

On 2007-04-03 19:40, MakeDaMug wrote:
Dave did the rendering but not the sculpt itself. If Squid did the sculpt, you wouldn't see a revision comment :)

ummm? :) Really Perfect... I'm impressed....

On 2007-04-03 19:40, MakeDaMug wrote:

True dat! I like this one.

T

wow. Just wow! Awesome looking mug! I'm really excited about this whole thing coming together. They must really be giving the place the whole nine yards if it's going to take until mid-May.
Bigtikidude-- I wouldn't worry about the refurb. If Bamboo Ben's in charge, Sam's is in very good hands!

CL

I covet that mug. Look forward to the grand re-opening!

TB

On 2007-04-03 16:58, Unga Bunga wrote:
Just called;
Mid May or near end of month.
They must be doing a complete over haul.

man...this is going to be a long wait. Looking forward to the opening!

T

On 2007-04-03 18:32, bigtikidude wrote:
Heard thru the rumor grapevine it may not be a 100 Trad. refurbish.

Please, no televisions inside. Pleaseeeeeee!!!!

BTW, are they going to keep the South Pacifc mural in the bar?

On 2007-04-04 11:30, TikiJosh wrote:
wow. Just wow! Awesome looking mug! I'm really excited about this whole thing coming together. They must really be giving the place the whole nine yards if it's going to take until mid-May.
Bigtikidude-- I wouldn't worry about the refurb. If Bamboo Ben's in charge, Sam's is in very good hands!

Hey Ya'll,

Just wanted to let you know that "I'm not in charge."

I'm "helping when/where/how I can" but, there are "many, many, many, channels within."

I did get a call today from " their new interior decorator " and we'll see what's on the palette in a week or so after their pow wow.

No carpet or thatch yet.

T

On 2007-04-04 20:41, RevBambooBen wrote:

Hey Ya'll,

Just wanted to let you know that "I'm not in charge."

I'm "helping when/where/how I can" but, there are "many, many, many, channels within."

I did get a call today from " their new interior decorator " and we'll see what's on the palette in a week or so after their pow wow.

No carpet or thatch yet.

Ooops. My bad. Well, here's hoping that the place gets restored to its former glory. Keep us posted on the happenings!

On 2007-04-04 20:41, RevBambooBen wrote:

My first question is, naturally, does he/she have my book? Not that that is a guarantee, but it would put me at ease a little...

I did a "drive-by" this morning...literally!!! At about 50 mph! So this is the best picture I could take. The outside looks really cool!

Can't wait to see the inside (and do some partying!)

We'd been planning a 25th anniversary party at Sam's for almost 25 years! It didn't look like it would happen so news of the reopening is fantastic! I can't wait!!!

Mid May is so close yet soooo far away..I can't wait to get the new mug.

T

I met a guy at a bar the other day who claims he is a partner in Sam’s Seafood as well as Tsunami Sushi. He and I started talking about Sam’s and informed me that they are looking for more investors in Sam’s and looking to reopen it mid summer. The part that concerned me most the name may be changed to “Sam’s Gone Wild”. Before he left he said they may give up the luau show due to the cost of performers and may have a dance club instead. The bartender informed me he is an investor as well as a realtor. Again, this was just bar talk so I have no way of confirming this.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

On 2007-04-28 13:27, Tikitatt wrote:
The part that concerned me most the name may be changed to “Sam’s Gone Wild”.

Tooo funny! ...if it wouldn't be so scary.
I bet that was before they slammed the "Girls Gone Wild" creator with date rape and tax evasion. After that, the beach community would not look kindly at such folly, I presume.

Pages: 1 2 3 113 replies