Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Submitted for your feedback - Moai Tiki Lamp

Pages: 1 13 replies

I
IMQTPI posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 9:26 PM

Aloha!

I'm what'cha might call a long-time "T.C. Lurker!" You guys TOTALLY inspire me!!!

Anyhooo... I recently sculpted a ceramic Quasi-Moai-Tiki-Head-Lamp, and am thinking of making more...

Sis throws a big Polynesian Festival in No-Cal, every spring, and I might get a booth (That is, IF I make enouh Tiki-Stuff to make it worth my while - factoring in the PITA-element of getting a CA Seller's Permit, and collecting/tracking Sales Tax and all that other "Nuisance Stuff!")

I was curious to know what you-all thought about my first attempt - and is this something you'd actually be willing to BUY??? (Price is TBD at this point - I've only made the one [with a second "in the works" now] and haven't really figured out how much time/materials $$ are involved!).

Aww, what the heck, IF it were for sale (this one isn't!) - What would you be willing to pay???

The "Moai" part of it is appx 12" tall x 4" wide. Shade is 7" tall x 9-1/2" wide. So overall dimensions are appx 18" tall x 10" wide. I guess he's more "bedside table" sized than anything else (tho' I may try to make some larger ones as well).

Just soliciting feedback at this point, so I'd LOVE to hear from you!!! Is there anything I could/should do to make him "better?"

ANY suggestions/feedback are VERY much appreciated!

Mahalo Plenty!!!

-Nancy aka IMQTPI

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 5:36 AM

Nancy, welcome to TC!

I like the lamp and it is worth you pursuing. I don't know what price I would pay as the easter island thing is pretty standard fare.

I think most folks would be more attracted to Ku or Lono styles when it comes to things like this (just my opinion)

Lets see if more folks pile in.

Don't get discouraged. Post more stuff. Let us see it.

Mahalo

McTiki

I
IMQTPI posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 6:53 AM

McTiki...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Yeah, Moais are pretty "common." But they're also pretty easy to reproduce! (Hence, my first attempt was a Moai!)

Kus and Lonos: Seem better suited to "carving" than hand-sculpting - but I may try to play around with letting the clay dry a bit more before I work it.

Or I suppose I could seek out some molds. But - in my mind - that would be "cheating!" Personally, I much prefer to hand-build everything (Which certainly limits my productivity - Yet it's oddly therapeutic at the same time!).

Anyway, it's a very good idea and I'll give it a shot!

When I make one, I'll post a photo for more feedback (although it'll probably be awhile since each piece takes several weeks to complete - depending on the kiln schedule @ the studio)

I DO appreciate the suggestion! And I'm not discouraged at all - Like I said, I'm looking for feedback and suggestions!

Mahalos again!

-Nancy aka IMQTPI

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 7:00 AM

QTPie, I am glad you are encouraged.
I mainly carve (if one can call it that), but, I am now delving into the land-o-clay this weekend for a mug or set of mugs for our storefront.

I like the texture and color of your lamp. What kind of clay? Cone # ?

I adore seeing new works by artists and continue to learn from this site in doing so.

Mahalo

McTiki

I
IMQTPI posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 7:44 AM

Aww man! I don't remember what kinda clay it is! I just checked the bag, but there's no marking on it!

It might be T2 Stoneware from our local ceramics supply house (Clay Planet in San Jose). It's definitely Cone #10.

I like the clay, it's very "forgiving" for taller pieces. It's also pretty sandy in texture on it's own. And it fires to a deep brown when left nekkid! It's especially good for the "rustic" style I prefer!

Tiki-texturing was the time-consuming part! While he was leather-hard, I tap-tap-tapped him lightly with whatever texture-producing stuff I could find (rocks, acorns, broken shards of whatever). Then I coated him with black slip.

For the final firing, I gave him a very light coat of a rutile glaze, and sponged most of it off. I didn't want him to be Super-Shiny (like standard Tiki Mugs), I just wanted a slight iridescence. Happily, I got the effect I was looking for. He actually looks WAY cooler in person than what I could photograph. From different angles, he does have a slight (almost like a dull-bronzy) shimmer - depending on how the light hits him.

I rarely like my own "stuff" enough to display it in my home (I'm weird that way!), but this guy sits proudly atop our Entertainment Center.

Good Luck on your Jouney into Clay-Land. It's lots of fun! (I just wish I had more time for it!)

-Nancy aka IMQTPI

P.S. You're right - this is a GREAT place for "inspiration!"

That is beautiful, it looks like rock!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 22, 2006 3:03 PM

That looks kool, the finish definitely suits a Moai.

To answer your questions... Would I buy it? No, because I am a broke bastard and live on the other side of the world... would I LIKE to buy it? Hell yeh! :) If you are going to attempt selling them, a variety of tiki breeds would reach more people. As far as this guy is concerned, what about a red round shade, which harks back to their top knots? (personally I think they are island interpretation of a fez...)

love the lamp...way cool! i think it could be perfect with a lampshade from Moonshine Shades. i was going to link to it, but their website is behaving strangely and is making my browser do weird things...i hope they didnt get hacked or something. anyhow, the address is moonshineshades.com if you dare...i removed the link from my original post.

[ Edited by: heelgrinder 2006-12-22 15:30 ]

I

heelgrinder - You are absolutely right! I love those lampshades!!! I'd actually Googled to find something in that style with no luck. So THANKS for the URL!

But - OUCH! - they are pretty spendy. Need to find wholesale kind'sa prices, or figure out how to make 'em myself. My wallet's pretty 'tapped out' right now!

I agree that the shade I'm using isn't "quite right" - but it's what I had on-hand. I'm kickin' around some other ideas as well...

I've started another lamp which may or may not turn-out to my liking. I'm gonna try for more of a Ku or Lono look (or something!). Tiki Lamp #3 will definitely be something other than Moai.

Studio's closed for the holidays, so it may be awhile!

Whenever I come up with something new and/or interesting, I'll be sure and post it!

Mahalos, guys, for the feedback!

-Nancy AKA IMQTPI

I like it! Very much!

I agree and think a red (ish) shade would be really cool. Very much like the Top Knot of the originals.

Would I buy it. No. It is too short for where I want to put it. When you get one that is about 28 inches or so tall, then I would buy it. Let me know.....

T

Clap on Clap off .... honey don't you dare throw that lamp at me ....

I

Tiki-tossing could prove to be quite painful!!!

He's hollow - but definitely "solid" weight-wise! I think your skull might sustain more damage than Tiki-Guy would!

OUCH!!!

When/if I sell 'em - do I need to include a disclaimer, I wonder? ("Not to be thrown at Significant Others!")

Here's another photo - showing his almost-bronzy-shimmer a bit better (this was taken with "full-flash" - so no shadows, and not "true" to how he looks IRL)!

He actually looks better with his own light, casting shadows under his eyebrows/nose - but still... I think he's way cool!

-Nancy aka IMQTPI

[ Edited by: IMQTPI 2006-12-23 13:40 ]

we can never have enpugh tiki lamps. Try to find the SHAG lamps - impossible. Hundreds of dollars, people will pay a lot for good hight quality tiki swag! I can't get ahold of one at any price now. So,Make it good, and they will come!
Aloha!

I think the lamp is fabulous. I like the plain shade, because the purchaser could actually add their favorite fabric or decor to it, to make it fit in their environment. Nice work Nancy. :)

Pages: 1 13 replies