Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Do You See What I See? Holiday Movies and TV You May Have Missed

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

R
raito posted on Mon, Dec 20, 2010 2:23 PM

One of my favorites as a kid that I now have (on VHS...) is The Christmas Martian. Made for public TV in Ontario. A little boy finds a Martian and teaches him Christmas stuff. Kinda cheesy, but endearing.

And there's always Art Carney as a drunk Santa on The Twilight Zone.

W

Time to lug this thread up from the Tiki Central basement, dust it off, and check all the lights.

But first, please join me in our annual reading of The True Meaning of This Thread. Our special guest reader this year was to be actor Boris Karloff but he apparently had some scheduling difficulties. Here's a nice publicity photo of Mr. Karloff similar to one I'm sure he would have sent us along with a personal message he probably would have written...

It was such an honor to be asked to read The True Meaning of This Thread particularly as I am a great admirer of Tiki Central. I also think Woofmutt is, as you kids say, "awesome." Unfortunately I now live in Heaven and was unable to participate in this wonderful tradition as I am busy helping Santa Claus with his naughty and nice list. Yours, Boris

What a swell guy, huh?

And now, without further ado...

*"The True Meaning of This Thread"

The true meaning of this thread is Overlooked and possibly unknown holiday movies which are worth watching.

Worth watching means:

Movies and cartoons and TV specials which are well made and they make you feel all warm and tingly inside like you drank a big mug of magic cocoa.

OR

Movies and cartoons and TV specials which are so terrible you can't pull your eyes away and your dreams are filled with visions of wooden angels and creepy paper mache Santas.

If you make a recommendation please add some reason as to why it's worth seeing. Just dropping a movie name is sort of useless. We're all capable of using Google to find obscure stuff we don't know anything about. What will make this thread most useful is if you add personal comments.

Again, the focus is on the overlooked and obscure and worth watching. The list at the top of the thread will be updated as movies are suggested.*

Happy (insert your preferred holiday here) everybody!!!

S

On 2010-12-04 22:03, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:

I wish I could find a copy of this, I haven't seen it in years

i have that. i also got this space-age approved holiday show:

another good treat is:

On 2010-12-04 22:03, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
I know it already been mentioned, but I never get tired of watching it.

I wish I could find a copy of this, I haven't seen it in years

Is this it?

YouTube:He-Man and She-Ra Christmas Special

Space Age Christmas specials? How about the ultimate one, theStar Wars Holiday Special
which aired on CBS only once, on Nov. 17, 1978. After that, it has not been available on any medium for a few decades.
But thanks to advances in technology, it is available in it's entirety on Youtube....

YouTube: Star Wars Holiday Special

I have not seen it but it must be good since it's an official sanctioned Star Wars production.

S

On 2011-12-01 11:40, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

But thanks to advances in technology, it is available in it's entirety on Youtube....

YouTube: Star Wars Holiday Special

I have not seen it but it must be good since it's an official sanctioned Star Wars production.

rumor has it that george was so embarrassed by how that turned out that he tried to have it taken back- which is the main reason for how difficult it is to get a hold of.

never been a star wars fan myself. it was always the type of thing that looked more "comic book" than serious science fiction and you know how serious things can get out there.

T

The great toy robbery.
http://www.nfb.ca/film/the_great_toy_robbery/

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-12-03 16:07 ]

T

How bout Twilight Zone the night of the Meek.
Not all there but you get the idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1Rd1Stx10&feature=related

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-12-03 16:17 ]

Star Wars christmas is one of the worst things I have ever watched. I used to run a Brew 'n View, and showed that for christmas 4 years ago. It was the only time people booed in real anger.It made a nice crowd hostile real fast. had to run Lethal Weapon just to cleanse the palate.

W

*"The True Meaning of This Thread"

The true meaning of this thread is Overlooked and possibly unknown holiday movies which are worth watching.

Worth watching means:

Movies and cartoons and TV specials which are well made and they make you feel all warm and tingly inside like you drank a big mug of magic cocoa.

OR

Movies and cartoons and TV specials which are so terrible you can't pull your eyes away and your dreams are filled with visions of wooden angels and creepy paper mache Santas.

If you make a recommendation please add some reason as to why it's worth seeing. Just dropping a movie name is sort of useless. We're all capable of using Google to find obscure stuff we don't know anything about. What will make this thread most useful is if you add personal comments.

Again, the focus is on the overlooked and obscure and worth watching. The list at the top of the thread will be updated as movies are suggested.*

W

The True Meaning of This Thread is right above this very post. Or go a little further above that post and you'll see a fancy version of The True Meaning of This Thread featuring Boris Karloff!

Since scrolling up is such a simple task even a chicken can be trained to do it, I'm going to set aside the repetition of The True Meaning of This Thread this year. Instead, I'd like to say that trying to cite the weirdest most obscure thing you can think of just to show everyone how far out there you are is definitely a very very clever thing to do. But it's the sort of thing you really should only do at parties when you're trying to impress girls or boys or cool people. And it works even better if you also jump up and down and yell "Hey! Hey! Hey guys! Hey guys listen up! Hey! Listen to this! No seriously, guys, listen! Hey! Hey guys!"

And that's How To Get People Really Impressed By Your Super Coolness. But remember: The magic only happens at parties. Not online.

W

Agreed.

Steven Colbert is fairly well known for being a great American most folks I've talked to missed 2008's A Colbert Christmas:The Greatest Gift of All!. It's a really clever take on classic celebrity Christmas specials of the past featuring numerous "surprise" guest stars and lots of great songs.

WPIX, Channel 11 in New York, began the tradition of a televised Yule Log on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day back in 1966. In 1989 the station decided to extinguish the log for good due to financial reasons.

TV Party: WPIX Yule Log

But thanks again to advances in technology, we can view it here....

YouTube: WPIX Original Yule Log

From 1966 to 1989 this was a tradition as closely linked to New York City as the tree at Rockefeller Center or the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.

Since this is now a new page...

"The True Meaning of This Thread"

Worth watching means:

OR

Again, the focus is on the overlooked and obscure and worth watching. The list at the top of the thread will be updated as movies are suggested. (And as I, woofmutt, manage to get around to it.)

You can count on Gumby to give us an interesting Christmas twist...

YouTube: Gumby-Santa Witch

Too bad they replaced the original lush musical score with the Casio keyboard sounding stuff.

Not a TV special but an art show which includes many of the favorite Christmas TV specials.

THE ENCHANTED WORLD OF RANKIN/BASS Group Art Show

At Creature Features 2904 W Magnolia, Burbank, California
Opening reception is December 6. The show runs through Sunday, January 4th, 2015.

W

Neat. And it spares me bumping this thread...Which I probably won't bother updating. Or maybe I will. I'm mysterious like that.

Pages: 1 2 64 replies