Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki Central Website Downtime

Pages: 1 10 replies

I wanted to give everyone a head's up: Recently, we've been maxing out our sever, and so I'm in the process of getting it upgraded and fixed. In the meantime, we might have some outages where nothing on tikicentral.com will load (part of why I'm upgrading the server), and other times where you'll get the "Be back soon!" message. Either way, hang tight while we get this taken care of!

~Hanford

H

A quick update on the recent server issues -- we're coming a lot closer to identifying the culprit of our problems (for the techies: looks like it's a spam-driven DDoS), and we're working with our admins to hopefully fix it for good. The upgrade we made alleviated the symptoms, making it much easier to deal with downtime when it happens, but it didn't address the root cause.

Until we get this fixed, you may experience times where TC is very slow, or doesn't even load, but since our memory upgrade, we're able to nurse our patient back from the brink much more quickly, so it's generally up again within a few minutes. Hopefully we'll be able to get a more effective cure soon -- in the meantime, thanks so very much for your patience! It's driving us batty -- I'm sure it's driving you all batty, too!

T

The only problem that I see now is that the TIKI CENTRAL OPEN 24 HOURS sign is going to have to be revised to open 23.3 hours a day, or Closed Gone Fishin.

We're still having some troubles with it; I've given our advertisers an extra two days of ad time to compensate for the site being down.

I think that if you arrange downtime to be between 1:15AM and 2:45AM PST Most will benefit. :)
Sorry for the inconvenience Oceania and England. You should be at work anyway.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 16, 2006 4:37 PM

Just do what you folks need to do :)

On 2006-12-16 15:19, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
I think that if you arrange downtime to be between 1:15AM and 2:45AM PST Most will benefit.

The downtime is not on purpose. We're trying to get rid of the downtime altogether.

No Worries Hanford.
I don't mid the downtime... I use it to mix more drinks. It's better that way, now I don't get lime juice on my keyboard!
Aloha,
:tiki:

A quick update on our situation:

We've now had one entire day without the server going down, which is a nice bit of light at the end of the tunnel. In order to troubleshoot the problem (and in order to bring the server up right away when it goes down, to minimize impact on you fine folks), we have had to pretty closely monitor activity on our sites. It's been a pretty big crimp in our style; I'm really looking forward to getting back to doing more normal computer-y things, and being able to be away from the computer for a day would be neat, too.

Several theories have been formed, and several different steps have been taken to shore up our server's defenses against the spammy evildoers. Finally, it's now starting to look like we've got a breakthrough (knock on nicely carved wood). Hopefully, our luck will hold, and our server will be healthy. If our theories have been correct, we should be in good shape; if not, it's back to the drawing board yet again.

Thanks for hanging in there!

Bless both of you for working your tushies off around the holidays to keep us in posting ecstasy. HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL (especially our server). :)

Here here! First round's on me....

Pages: 1 10 replies