Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Lost Worlds of Pop

Pages: 1 2 replies

C

What other Pop worlds have we lost, besides Tiki culture?

Here’s one –

How about the whole world of Outdoorsmanship and the ersatz world of Camping In Style? Going way back to the Adirondack Grand Hotel period, people were obsessed with the Outdoors, fresh air, Indian handicrafts, the Canadian Northwoods, fly fishing, canoeing, birch bark & pine architecture, open air cooking and smoked foods; the fad is an exact duplicate in many ways of the Tiki wave but maybe a wee bit healthier.

It started the Scouting movement, National Parks, fishing camps, interest in folklore, folk music, craftsmanship, vacation cottages, heck, where do you stop? The explosion of 50’s families rushing to camp at Yellowstone Park in Airstream trailers with plaid camping coolers is still my idea of a pretty good time.

Most of this is lost now in the REI hi-tech no-fun sonar fish finder and put that fire out don’t you know about global warming world of the 21st century. When has anybody made a genuine Indian Bead Bracelet from moosehide and porcupine quills while on vacation lately?

Dad used to pack up the family ev ery summer and we would drive from San Diego to places afar and stay with relatives in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas. Mom packed food and kept it in the coleman cooler....mostly sandwiches, and we would stop along the wayside for lunches and usually fried chicken for dinner. My Dad use to love to take me and my sister camping....and several years in a row we went to Yosemite (Camp Curey) and my Mom cooked on a little coleman stove, plus we would play cards by the light of the coleman lattern. DANG....I wish I had all those colemen items. I do think I have the cooler somewhere, and also have a very beat up wooden-legged army-type sleeping cot. I will be hanging that up on the wall for display in my bedroom area. We also went to Disneyland several times each summer and to Knott's Berry Farms. Those were fun days.

Interestingly enough I am now a member of Shell Vacations....so still got the travel bug.

I love the whole northwoods theme. If I ever were to do another full-on theme room(home) it would be done in the alpine lodge genre. An don't forget the fur walls and chromed glass moose head.

Pages: 1 2 replies