Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2007 Kowloon Kickoff - January 20, 2007

Pages: 1 2 59 replies

J

Aloha NE Ohana!!! Let's kick off another year of keeping Tiki alive in New England at the one and only Kowloon in Saugus, MA.

Place: Kowloon Restaurant in Saugus, MA
Date: January 20, 2007
Time: 7PM

Pencil us in.
I havent talked about it with Mrs. Bastard yet, but I will.

..sbim

Hey...... cool - I'd like to think I could make it also - I will try, it will be nice to see you all!
Jon

I'm in. Anybody else???

B

The Bargoyle is in. Not sure about wahine Jess, but I'm betting she'll come along too. She LOVES the kowloon.

and for any who are iffy on the Valentines Day show....I GUARANTEE you've never seen anything like it.

See everyone on the 20th!! w00t!!!

ps info on vday show is here: http://www.hukelau.com/showroom.html

CRAP!!!

Traci has the pager that night so she can't go. I don't want to do that much traveling without her.

Hmph.

I'm going to talk to her about doing something up here the weekend before Lent. Perhaps that will work out.

..sbim

B

Too bad SB, was looking forward to seeing ya again.

Let us know about what you come up with for pre-lent, and Jess & I will get up there.

See ya soon.

Th' Bargoyle

Dang. I told Mrs. Pappy she wouldn't be the only girl there.

B

Hey!! Whats Jess?!?!?!

Dems fightin words dere Mr.Pappy!!!

Sorry, I thought you said Jess wasn't coming.....

B

And she IS kind of mannish. I mean, she's more into sports than most guys I know. lol

But seriously, yeah, I think she's comming. She loves the kowloon, and we like to hit Kelly's up the road for roast beef sandwiches for lunch.

We'll prob have 1 or 2 cocktails at the Bali Hai before heading down to the Kowloon, so if anyone wants to meet up earlier, I figure we'll be at the Hai by 5.30.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

R
Rain posted on Mon, Jan 8, 2007 5:37 AM

:: crashes through glass door, falls on floor ::

i'd like to try to make this event. i'm still sore about missing bargoyle's party. :/

OK, sure I guess it's time for my yearly venturing forth.
The wife and I will be there.
Does this mean we have enough "healthy" livers to book reservations?

Mrs. Thunderlips and I would like to attend. If we go see WAITIKI tonight and hit BALI HAI for drinks before the KOWLOON on Sat. it'll be a TIKI TRIFECTA!

B

I'll be on "the strip" for most of the day, so I can stop by & make sure we've got some sort of reservations.

I've got the count at 14 rt now...
johnman, jpm, pappy+1, bargoyle+1,rain+1,Mortis+1,thunder+1, inkashtray+1

Anyone else?

I'll prob tell 'em 16 just be safe.

See ya all on saturday (and dont forget, drinks at Bali Hai beforehand for those who are interested)

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-01-17 08:39 ]

Just out of curiosity - is anyone driving I-95 through Hampton, NH. I live in Hampton just off 95 on Exit two (Route 101). I am having significant transportation problems - I would love to go and "get Tiki" with you all - but it looks like I won't be able to get there.
Just thought I'd throw it out for discussion - maybe somebody is driving by...........
Thanks, Jon

T

I'm trying to get there too! At least to the Bali Hai for an early round. I'm heading North for the weekend and you guys are on the way!! Looking forward to finally meeting you all.

Tikisgrl

J

Wow - looks like we'll be packing the Kowloon Saturday. Count 3 for me Bargoyle (brother and my friend Keith are coming). We won't make the Bali Hai though - someday!

Welcome aboard Thunderlips! Tikisgrl - make your plans now so you can meet the group. You won't regret it!

Holy Crap Tikisgrl is finally (possibly) making an appearance and I'll be absent! :(

I hope you all have a great time! I'll be thinking about you all while playing a private party with my band in Groton.

Hope some of you will be at the Valentines Day show in Chicopee!

Again, have a great time at Kowloon!

Hey, did anyone invite WaiTiki to the Kowloon gala - I just mentioned it to Mr Ho via PM - it would be great to see those guys again!

and BTW, Many Thanks to Tikisgrl..... I got a ride! woo-hoooo

Visit my Online Art Gallery at
jonmooers.com
Just moved back to Amesbury, Ma

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-01-18 19:31 ]

T

I am looking forward to this... I guess after a year and a half of near misses of a lot of the Mass Ohana it was time to come out into the light.

Tikisgrl

B

"go into the light carol-ann. All welcome....allllll weeelllcome...."

It'll be nice to finally meet ya tikisgrl. Also looking forward to seeing mortis again, finally meeting rain, and getting to know our "newcommers", thunderlips & inkashtray.

SOrry SB & Granite cant make it. We'll hoist a few for ya!

So, with johnman's +2, and tikisgrl, we're up to 17 now!!!

A couple more and they'll have to give us the Boat in back...maybe even open that boat-bar special, just for us???

Also, I emailed the Prof about dinner, so we'll see if any of waitiki makes it

Guess I'll tell em 20 to play it safe.

How many are comming to Bali Hai beforehand?

Can't do Bali Hai but by all means try to get us that open bar special!!

B

Heh heh...I guess I should have written that different. yeah, open bar would be .....dangerous.

But I was talking about the bar thats at the Stern of the ship area. I never see it open.

I bet if we gave some advance notice, and had like a cocktail party thing going on back there, they'd open it up....

might need like 50+ people though. The boat is pretty big!

I'll ask em when I get the reservations.

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-01-19 07:01 ]

B

OK, just a quick heads up.

With our number quickly approaching 20, I figured maybe a phone call to the Kowloon was in order (they still pack em in on a Saturday night) and sure enough, they might have a problem seating us at 7pm. They can definitely get us in seats & eating by 8pm, but we'll have sweet talk the host/hostess to get in any earlier.

The reservation is under "tikicentral.com" and I suggest everyone go & check in with the host/hostess & explain what kind of group we are, and how we wanted to eat at 7.

I figure after s/he hears it for the 6th time, we're in!!!

If it doesn't work, its drinks at the bar until 8....unfortunately they redid the bar a few years back and now its a keno/sports bar and they don't do anything on fire in there. :(

Oh, and they're going to add 18% gratuity to the checks as we are such a large party.

See everyone there!!! I'll be the fat balding guy in the Hawaiian shirt smoking out in front of the building.

I say we "Ixnay" the sports bar and just cram us all around the small square bar in the restaurant area immediate to the left. The sports bar sucks....., and there are at least 8 bar stools and 3 tables that seat 12 along the cool waterfall mural wall in the ohana hut bar/ service bar!! Plus there is standing room between the bar and mural wall/seats
whadayathink

On 2007-01-19 13:31, jpmartdog wrote:

whadayathink

I think I like to say Ixnay.
Ixnay. Ixnay. Ixnay. Weeeeee!

B

Well, it might all be a moot point (I like to say moot.....moooooooooot...MOOT!!), as we MIGHT get seated at 7pm.

I was told to discuss it with the host/ess when we got there.

If not we can try to hit the bar in the middle of the resteraunt (I assuming you're talking about the island one with the carved poles, and not the Tai/sushi bar one directly across from the sports bar).

Makes no difference to me...comming from the Bali Hai, I'll already have the motor primed!

R
Rain posted on Fri, Jan 19, 2007 2:02 PM

apparently i've got kidney stones again, and i'm in a hell of a lot of pain. so yet again, call me Mr. Flakey.
really, really wish i could be there, everyone.

You guys are making me so jealous!!!

I'm gonna have to stop by the Tiki Lau in Westford for a drink on my way home from Groton!

Again, have a great time!

Granite Tiki - "call in sick", after all its only your career and remember you'll always have us!

Rain.... I think they allow kidney stones at the Kowloon! I do hope you feel better!

In regards to the mooooooooooot point - yes..cahvings- no sushi.
You know the asian dude at that hut/service/center bah has worked there for 25 years - I talked to him last time I was there for too many Mai Tais! He's a good guy!

Visit my Online Art Gallery at
jonmooers.com
Just moved back to Amesbury, Ma

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-01-20 07:36 ]

T

Bargoyle since no one has answered your other question JP & I are going to try to get to the Bali Hai to meet up with you & I hope you weren't kidding about the smoking I thought I was the last remaining one?

Still looking forward to this...

Someday I'll get to have too many Mai Tai's & Chat up the bartender?

Tikisgrl

We're planning on hitting the Bali Hai around 06:00 or so. Count me among the nicotine fiends!

B

Rain,

Sorry to hear about the kidney stones. They suck.

Hope you feel better soon.

J

Rain - Ouch, kidney stones are no fun. Hope your feeling better soon. We'll be thinking of you tonight!

MH

Okonkuluku!

Mr. Ho very tentative as I had already made plans for tonight. if they fall through or dont start until later, i will try to join for a drink at bali hai! can somebody confirm 530pm?

Mayor: gigging
Professor: in Miami (may see the haole kats!)
Laughing Boy: lives in providence and no idea what he is up to! :wink:

Okonkulukú,

Mr. Ho of WAITIKI

[ Edited by: Mr. Ho 2007-01-20 12:12 ]

I stopped by the Tiki Lau in Westford after my gig and toasted you all!

Hope the night went well!

I really WAS there in spirit!

bargoyle just got home....2.18 am

very drunk. good to see everyone. hope ididnt make too much of an ass ofo myself.

i left my 99 cent tiki head at the table.. doh!

damn demon rum.

g'night everybody

pictures! I want pictures!

Pictures soon? Nice to meet everyone... I'll post the few pictures I took when I get home from Beautiful cold & snowy Maine.

Tikisgrl

Some sights and scenes from our wonderful evening!

Pappy's punch

Mr Ho's tea

Johnman selects

Mr and Mrs Tikimortis

thunderlip's cocktail

It was too sweet!

solving world issues

tikisgrl, johnman, bargoyle, johnmans friend

Wooooo-hooooo!

Great meeting you all. Lots of laughs, lots of booze!

Bummer that I missed it, it looks like it was a good time for all.

..sbim

It's OK, SB. I had a drink for you.... probably.

Are you having a thing??

So sorry I missed out! I was at Ryles. If they weren't paying me to be there, I wouldn't have gone.

On 2007-01-22 14:28, pappythesailor wrote:
It's OK, SB. I had a drink for you.... probably.

Are you having a thing??

Yeah. I think I will have a thing.

March 2nd.

I will need some help with drink menu planning and bartending. I'm not a master yet.

..sbim

J

Ah yes - that was one successful trip to the Kowloon! Thanks so much for taking pictures jpmartdog. My camera is still sitting in the back of Keith's SUV. It made but just never made it out (to freakin cold to walk back to the car).

SBiM we missed you man:( We won't be able to get to Maine on the 2nd unfortunately though I wish we could. There's still a lot of '07 left to go though so we'll get up there eventually.

Thank you all for coming and making this one of our biggest outings yet. It was really cool to finally meet Tikisgrl! I knew we'd drag you out eventually. And Thunderlips is was great meeting you guys. Hope you had a good time - next time just say no to the Ambrosia:)

T

Just a few pictures, it turns out that I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the people pictures...

At the Bali Hai

At the Kowloon

Misplaced $1.04 Moai!

Thanks for playing along with my Viking Project. Sorry there are not more pictures.

Tikisgrl

Pages: 1 2 59 replies