Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

The Grateful Dead Thread

Pages: 1 2 81 replies

a couple of Jerry's Hawaiian Banyan scribbles.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2007-03-30 13:23 ]

TM

Hodahank, did you draw those?

C'mon--come clean!!

I feel so buffetized when I hear the Dead.

TM

On 2007-02-27 10:07, Cammo wrote:
I call Bong by his real name, Irving Snagglepuss Bromeliad the 3rd.

I am digging the legend of sleepy hollow reference there. Just noticed it!

Starting Sept 7th the Grateful Dead channel will be beamed down from space.

Chanel 32 on your Sirius receiver.

Dig this! My friend Rob Tobin took a picture of Freaky Boutiki's Grateful Gargantua in case he bumped into Billy Kreutzman,
Hawaiian resident and drummer for The Grateful Dead since 1965. Billy loved our tiki, and tikis in general.

This gained no appreciation on the carving threads but maybe here is a better home for it!!! This was carved by request for some hippie friends of mine.

Such a shame he gets so little respect. I really enjoyed giving him little tiki teeth in the steal your face logo

T

OK, I can take that hippie looking tiki off your hands if you like.. :lol: Looks great to me.. Different strokes, for different folks.. Nice work..

Aye! I would love to have one of those tikis.

I share the same b-day with Micky Hart.

On 2008-10-10 10:13, Unkle John wrote:
Aye! I would love to have one of those tikis.

I share the same b-day with Micky Hart.

I would love to make another one! If you're interested check out my site @ http://tikisbytyler.com or e-mail me at [email protected] . Or just enjoy the pics!!! :D

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Oct 15, 2008 7:20 PM

On 2007-01-03 22:10, hodadhank wrote:

Streaming live show from Honululu Civic Auditorium 1/23/1970

http://www.archive.org/details/gd70-01-23.sbd.fixed.connor.18153.sbeok.shnf

Grateful thread but FYI this poster by Rick Griffin was not for this show 1-23-70 but was for a series of shows that never happened. They were supposed to take place on July 25-27 1970...

Hey now!

That's a fine tiki my friend and I'm thrilled you've already found at least one buyer for it and it's brothers!

People always ask me for SYF poles but I've never even designed one, unless you include the Gargantua (which is really a frieze)& Bob Tobin has been encouraging me to do some of the bamboo teeth gargantua's in small plaque form but my mits hurt right now from the chill & damp. (BTW I believe the Bamboo Toothed masks by our friend artist Ricardo Brasil are a direct result of a mutual friend driving past GG many times and "sharing the inspiration" of the new gimick!)

Just popped down here to tell you I ordered Sugar Mountain-Live At Canterbury House 1968 (CD/DVD) by Neil Young from a shop in Pacific Beach to send my little brother The Dread Pitate Murf out on the islands. fourteen cuts of acoustic solo goodness from the same night as the exquisitely fragile performance of Sugar MT from Neil's old Decade best- of album. + a DVD of the nite??!! Wow!!

It was all I could do not to crack it open and... um, make sure it was, you know, that it played right and stuff, that's all.

Be Good for Goodness Sake! - Hodaddy

TM

Not your parent's music!

TM

The best.

TM

God.

TM

The lords of the new church.

TM

Not hip.

Extremely hip.

Any questions?

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2008-12-24 16:23 ]

Vigs!

(Relax fellow Deadheads, this man is a friend and completely harmless. He's actually very nice but totally irreparably uncool as I will now demonstrate.)

Were you been? I totally missed you down here.

After all what's a veggie burrito without it's foil? (

TM

You got me!!!

09 Dead tour starts in spring - Whos gettin back on the bus?

H

On 2009-01-02 13:32, lucas vigor wrote:
You got me!!!

LOL! Happy New Year Vigs. Listening to your intentionally uncool band right now... Superb. Must be a cd from when Cam was still a pal. You know I'd sell these damned things if you ever print some. I sell Tikiyaki's debut as well as select jazz from Blue Note, Prestige, Columbia and the 59th State stuff. WTF are we waiting for?

On 2009-01-02 16:37, sneakyjack wrote:

Hey now, you were never supposed to get off!!!!

Actually except for Bobby & Micky, the boys don't show much love for SoSoCal and I don't think I can afford to travel. :(

You?

BB King downtown tomorrow at SD House of Blues... Hmmm...

K
KuKu posted on Mon, Jan 26, 2009 6:04 PM

On 2009-01-02 16:37, sneakyjack wrote:

$100.00+ for tix!?! Think I'll go see Tikiyaki O @ the Boo Bash...

H

On 2009-01-26 18:04, KuKu wrote:
$100.00+ for tix!?! Think I'll go see Tikiyaki O @ the Boo Bash...

WTF? That's pretty frickin steap!! If I were younger and hairier I'd just go and wander around the parking lot with my finger in the air till I got Miracled, but there isn't enough nitrus or ganja goo balls in the entire world to make that enjoyable at my age.

Tikiyaki is so similar to the Dead anyway it's almost the same show: Squid and Mark will do a half hour timbale solo, Jim will keep hitting his forehead on the microphone and Gary will blow your mind with a cover of Garcia's 'The Wheel'.

Yeah, I'd do the Tikiyaki thing for sure.

TM

Tikiyaki is similar to the grateful dead? Man, I HOPE that was meant to be a joke!
But if you were serious, let’s run through a few facts, from a musician’s perspective.

Jim Bacchi: 1 million times the guitarist that Jerry Garcia is. Jerry does a shitload of mindless noodling (as do all hippy guitarists), while Jim has singlehandedly brought back real exotica to the music scene. Writing, playing, producing, running a band. There is no comparison. Jerry Garcia is a hack compared to Jim.
Squid: Squid is a real musician. A real musician. A real musician. Say it three times and you just might end up back in Kansas. Mickey Hart is a garage musician who got famous. Again, no comparison. Squid BLOWS Mickey Hart right off the map.
Jon Paul: With his little finger he is infinitely better then Phil Lesh. And he does it with a cheap Fender knock-off bass. Just a bass, a cord, an amp and his fingers. Phil Lesh needs 50 million knobs and sound reinforcement (of the highest tech) and is STILL a hack.
Marty Lush: Has an actual personality, knows what “cool” and “style” are, and is Tiki to the core. The guys in the dead are not even qualified to clean his toilet.
Gary Branden: Have you even heard the Blue Hawaiians? I rest my case.

There is this other thread, about questioning whether Hawaiiana is not really Tiki. Maybe, maybe not. I am on the fence on that one, but comparing hippy culture to Tiki culture is even more of a stretch. Hippy = Jimmy Buffet? Yeah, I can see that. Same types of people like it, actually. But bringing hippy-dippy culture into Tiki central is so off the base of what we stand for, I just don’t GET it!

How many times do I have to say this? Tiki was destroyed by rock and hippy culture. Same with jazz. Everything good in this world (concerning art and music) was destroyed by the Hippies. The powerful Hollywood elite that had some say in defining what was cool and trendy went to the other side, the enemy. This should be very clear to anyone into retro culture.

Anyway, if you were just joking, please disregard my rant.

On 2009-02-04 08:27, lucas vigor wrote:
Everything good in this world (concerning art and music) was destroyed by the Hippies.

I wouldn't stop at just art and music. They ruined everything else too.

Whenever I think of hippies, my crotch gets phantom itches like I have crabs. I wonder how it is that I came to associate hippies with genital lice?

We should start a thread about that jerkoff Jim Morrisson too!
Buzzy Out!

TM

On 2009-02-04 17:40, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Everything good in this world (concerning art and music) was destroyed by the Hippies.

Whenever I think of hippies, my crotch gets phantom itches like I have crabs. I wonder how it is that I came to associate hippies with genital lice?

Buzzy Out!

I am pretty sure you are joking, but...I would not say they ruined everything else...they did pretty good with protests and politics, in general..effecting change, civil rights, etc..but one can't help but wonder if they had looked, talked and sounded like everyone else in the late 50's, early 60's, they may have been taken more seriously by the Nixon generation. The look and vibe was a turn off to the very people who had the power to effect change.

Going from a culture that dressed up to go out and listened to exotica, jazz, lounge and jazz-pop, to a culture that looked like crap...casual, tie-died, rasta locks, etc...

Yeah, they ruined the scene I love the best.

I love jazz music. The period of time from 1955 to almost exactly 1964 was a golden period in music, the likes never to be seen again. Then came 1964 and you all know who came on the scene that year, and destroyed Jazz for good. (And before you say that the new scene was equally vital and important, how many of you are into hip hop on this forum? THAT scene was also vital, influencial and important, and I HATE it!!)

Sure, there were a lot of great artists, Hendrix, Morrison, etc..I just don't feel there is even the remotest tie-in to tiki culture. It's not even Bilge-worthy, INMHO.

TM

Here is a link to a story about Shelley's manne-hole, a jazz club in LA during the golden years of jazz I spoke about. Shelley Manne was also an actor, appearing in "adventures in paradise".

I think even some of you hippies will find it interesting.

http://jazzprofiles.blogspot.com/2008/08/manne-hole-part-1.html

Read this and see how vital the scene the hippies helped kill off was.

umm so I guess I wont see anyone at the April show in New York city?
Crabs?

TM

I am actually one of the few people on this forum who do not like Hippy culture. I am sure many people will go to this.

T

On 2009-02-05 07:15, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2009-02-04 17:40, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Buzzy Out!

I love jazz music. The period of time from 1955 to almost exactly 1964 was a golden period in music, the likes never to be seen again. Then came 1964 and you all know who came on the scene that year, and destroyed Jazz for good. (And before you say that the new scene was equally vital and important, how many of you are into hip hop on this forum? THAT scene was also vital, influencial and important, and I HATE it!!)

Lucas, If it is the beatles you are referring to, I resent the sentiment. Rebellion against the suit wearing Exotica / Jazz loving set came in the form of Buddy Holly, Elvis, and the early pioneers of Rock n Roll, whom the Beatles sought to emulate. The only thing is they lasted longer and constantly introduced new sounds and different styles into the genre, thus expanding it.

Their expansion into Hippiedom, was somewhat influenced by the San Francisco movement (and some mind altering substances different than alcohol) , and they put their Beatle spin on it, which is very catchy pop melodies, good song construction and inventive production. Remember, the message behind their song "Revolution" was basically telling the Hippie movement to stop complaining and look inward at how to make change in the world.

In the end, the only thing the Beatles did in 1964 was write really catchy songs and have a goofy haircut given to them by a German Existentialist named Astrid.

They didn't seek to destroy everything you think was "right" about the world in that time period that preceded them.

Also, if you have anything nice to say about what I do, which you do, and I'm grateful for it, you can rest assured that 99% of my melodic sensibility derives from and is influenced by Lennon and McCartney.

I just make it sound like Lyman and Denny :)

As far as Jerry Garcia goes, I'm not a fan either...and I'll leave it at that.

The same goes for the most overrated "singer/poet" of all time...Jim Morrison. :)

TM

What can I say, Jim? I am totally into jazz, specifically West Coast and Cool. I have not listened to Rock to any large extent in about 20 years. Modern Rock, that is.

B

Let's not forget ole Jack Kerouac and the other "Beat" boys...whether they liked it or not, they were a big influence on the Dead and other 60's musicians.

Sorry Hodaddy, though from that time pretty much, I was never a big fan of the dead either, but I sure love the work that Garcia and David Grisman did together....I also love the kick ass blue grass sounds of "Old and in the Way" - another group that Garcia helped form and played in.

Buzzy, my wife slathers me at least once every other month with Advantage whether I need it or not...you should be safe coming over to the studio.

PS. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Kerouac

]

[ Edited by: Babalu 2009-02-11 14:08 ]

T

On 2009-02-11 13:38, lucas vigor wrote:
What can I say, Jim? I am totally into jazz, specifically West Coast and Cool. I have not listened to Rock to any large extent in about 20 years. Modern Rock, that is.

The Beatles aren't "moden rock", Mick. I don't listen to modern rock either.....I haven't bought a new rock record in at least 8 years, probably more.

Jazz is great, I like it, but some of it tends to wander off the melodic side of things, and for me I lose interest.

That's just me tho'. :)

TM

To me, modern rock is anything after the 1950's, when garage bands and amateurs started making rock music. As for jazz, me too. My preference is song and melodic based jazz. Jazz with a context. Free jazz, fusion, hard bop don't really do it for me anymore. West coast and cool, that's were its at for me, baby!

Pages: 1 2 81 replies