Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

haole hawaiian music

Pages: 1 8 replies

A

I know of Andy Williams' Hawaiian albums and of course Elvis' "Blue Hawaii" and "Paradise Hawaiian Style" soundtracks. Are there other polynesian themed albums out there from established artists not usually associated with this type of music?

K

Ok..this could be an endless reply. I'll just say that nearly every pop vocalist and pop orchestra from the 1940s through the 1960s put out at least one LP of "Hawaiian" music..generally consisting of the "standards" like Sweet Leilani, Blue Hawaii, Hawaiian Wedding Song. Connie Francis, Lawrence Welk, Burl Ives, Billy Vaughn, etc. etc.
If you do a search at eBay or Gemm under "Hawaiian" and "records" you'll see tons of examples of what's out there. My favorite would probably be Annette Funicello's "Hawaiianette"...she could really only sing about four notes, but it's got great arrangements and some killer kitschy originals like "Date Night In Hawaii."

A

Thanks! I recently came upon info about Marty Robbins' 3 Hawaiian albums, as well as one by Les Paul & Mary Ford. I'll continue doing some searching. Thanks again.

S

I think "Hapa Haole" is what you are looking for... tourist music for lack of a better translation. Most "luau" collections
will set you up nicely, to go on and research from there.

Check out the 'Hukilau Hulas' cd for lots of hip tunes and artists!

S

Exactly. It was a huge seller at one time and everyone got on the bandwagon. The list is endless.

Don't forget Robert Drasnin or Mel Henke. They are familiar names to TC'ers, but they weren't "exotica musicians" per se. Actually, I'd argue that practically ZERO exotica musicians do exotica first. Almost everyone comes from either a jazz, classical, Hawaiian or hapa-haole background. The only person I can think of for whom this might not be the case would be Lopaka Colon, whose father Augie was Denny's famed percussionist.

Hope this helps.

-Randy

I would recommend both Hal Aloma, and Bill Wolfgramme. Not, I know "known mainstream" artists, and I apologize for veering off-topic, but their stuff is absolutely some of the most enjoyable and bouyant hapa haole recordings I've ever come across. Great performances, lively and unique orchestrations, and an infectious spirit that just never tires out. I could only find 'em at my local arts library, though. Still, if you come across them, check 'em out, I think they'll bring some zing to your luau.

Cheers and aloha,
SOK

(ps, Hey Prof, has the Counsel of Elders sobered-up by now, to say who won the "Name the New Singer" invitation? Oh, and did I say we voted for ya'...?)

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2007-03-30 19:51 ]

I don't think I have heard Bill Wolfgramme but I have several by Nani Wolfgramm & His Islanders. These are very good & available on cd through Amazon.

Oooo. Thanks, BF! Hav'ta look into this -- could there be two Wolfgrammes?

"Bill" comes up on Google, and "Nani" is listed here:

http://www.hipwax.com/music/hawaii.html

-- which is a pretty nice research resource.

Mahalo,
SOK

Pages: 1 8 replies