Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

shipping TIKIs safely

Pages: 1 7 replies

Many letters I read are from customers who are
disappointed to find their products damaged
not so much from the ups/dsl/airbourne/fedex
guy getting too football frisky with the boxes,but
Poor packing methods that allow items to slam around unimpeded.WHAT CAN A MERCHANT DO TO PREVENT THIS? (size does count when you have to pay for delivery demanded.)
(I use new boxes, not old ones with bubble wrap
taped around the Tikis first,
then around the whole batch,then inside the box so everything is snug but not too tight the box won't close without alot of pressure.*(ie. like those depicted at tikifarm's site on the statue/decor page).

BB

Horizon,
When I used to have a ceramic lamp biz, we had a 2-part foam and pelespan. It was full proof packing but ex$pensive. Look in the biz- biz pages and find packing co.s and get reps to visit you with all their products. Pack up samples and throw them around to see what works the best.

M

packaging...

use 1/4" flexible polyfoam (bubbles pop and create for exposed product surface areas) around each piece; secure w/1" high strength masking tape at the midsection of the piece

create a 1" border along the entire inside perimeter of the case with high density foam around the case

use 200 lb. RSC corrugate boxes

use 20 lb. kraft for any void fill to avoid shifting - the main culprit for damage

use 3" 3M 371 tape to seal the sucker... not the std. 2"

"Crown" the contents of the boxes so that when they close, there is a lot of pressure needed to seal the case - no shifting/products nice 'n snug for transit to far-off tikified destinations.

... trust me, this is the way - major f'in testing but it's worth the extra cost if you're shipping ceramics... 98.5% damage free!!

Holden Westland
Tiki Farm
"Purveyors of Polynesian Pop Culture"
http://www.tikifarm.com

[ Edited by: smogbreather on 2003-01-09 01:46 ]

As a recipient of many packages of ceramics shipped overseas, often by surface, I'm always pleased to see loads of packing foam pieces spill out of the top as I open it. If the mug is wrapped well in bubble wrap, then any if any extra space in the box is filled with foam-bits, it should be ok. A strong box is also essential!

I can vouch for Tiki Farm's packing, too. Highly professional!

Trader Woody

And here are some Top Tips from the Royal Mail:

1. Use padded envelopes for sharp edges or odd shapes.
  2. Use an outer carton suitable for the weight of the contents.
  3. Make sure fragile items do not touch each other or the sides of the carton.
  4. Fill out with bubble wrap, polystyrene chips (available from most Post Office branches) or crushed paper.
  5. Include a return address on the item.
  6. Put your address / phone number inside.
  7. Seal securely using strong tape (vinyl or nylon) along all openings and edges.
  8. Flatten and sharp ends of staples or metal fastenings, and cover with tape.
  9. Use a "FRAGILE" sticker if necessary

Hope that's a help.

Trader Woody

Thanks for the kudos Woody. Especially since after my post I thought to myself... Jesus, this is the most f'in boring post I've ever done.

smogbreather wrote:
I thought to myself... Jesus, this is the most f'in boring post I've ever done.

And I followed it up with 2 (count em!) more of the same.....Yoinks.

Well it's a bit of a yawn, but if it saves a Tiki or two from becoming dust & chips, it's worth the effort, eh?

Trader Woody

For normal shaped mugs, the best packaging are those tubular card wrappings from single malt whisky bottles. They are very sturdy and have two metal caps on each side. Your padded mug inside will be as safe as can be. If you send many mugs, you just have to make sure you keep up with the drinking.

Pages: 1 7 replies