Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The TekoTeko Room

Pages: 1 12 replies

T

Alright...it's been about a year since I started the collecting/painting/mixing/and Lounging that makes for a good poly-pop experience. I could never get pictures to "look right" because I didn't have a versatile tripod...one gorillapod later, long exposures make the TekoTeko Room look like...the TekoTeko Room!

Now, follow me to a steamy tropical island. Drums are beating in the distance, and a native hands you a bowl of kava kava...

...The Bar...my space is pretty small, so Woofmutt suggested I do a "walk up" bar with a bookshelf. Instead of using actual tapa, I found a matchstick lampshade to be a good way to hide the shelves, where most of the booze is kept. On top of the bar we've got a couple of tiki tOny prints, and on the top shelf...the cheapest rum...it's kinda hard to get to so I only keep the dregs up there...

Here's the top view. From here you can see the top of the bar...duh, the record player, some flotsam, and "pele" over in the corner.

Now, gazing off in an easterly direction, we can see the mysterious depths of the jungle, a floral arrangement I did on one of those 50% off at-the-hobby-lobby nights. I have one of those faux-vintage travel posters hanging above it, and standing next to it is one of those Mai Tiki resin statues from Target. I thought he looked absolutely NON authentic...more mug-like. And I liked him. There are some balinese carvings (another half-off-night-at-the-hobby-lobby acquisition) in the corner.

Another view of the seating area.

Let's have a seat...

From my normal spot...this is...kinda the view...if you're 6" tall and sitting on the end table. You can see some flotsam on the ceiling, the profile of the jungle, and pele looming in the corner.

Looking off to the south...

Mugs! Yay! Mugs!

On top of the mug shelf, we have a ccollection of Polynesian carvings. Represented are Kane, Kanaloa, and Lono, a Maori tekoteko (duh), a couple little Marqueseans, and a Tahitian slit drum.

BLASPHEMY!!! I could care less if it's "tiki" or not. This is a cool carving I bought on a trip to the northwest. It's actually an Orca, and was carved by a Native American. It's DEFINITELY Pacific Rim...and that's what I'm going for.

Finally...

A Balinese mask. A friend left it in my apartment a while back. And once again, not really "tiki" but you know what...Indonesia is in the South Pacific!!! :).

Anyway, this is where The TekoTeko Room stands today. The quality of food and drinks is slowly increasing. The service is getting better, and the ambiance works...for me at least!

TT

Excellent ambiance indeed....and so mysterious in nature. The music had me in a frezy and the rum went to my head!!! Great to be in the Teko Teko Room. :tiki:

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 11, 2007 9:01 PM

Nice. I like the atmosphere with the red walls :)

Looks good. The lighting is great.

P

you're missing an important carving.

I reqally dig the orca! that is some nice handwork

Take another pictures with the curtains pulled back please.... Want to see what you have under the bar.

F

Very nice room you have there. I need a Mai Tai now.

AWESOME! when are you having us over? :wink:

T

Vamp, Hewey, Kon-Hemsby: Thanks for your feedback :).
pdrake: I know...I'm gonna have to get a bloodstained moai for the room one day.
Chip: Why did I figure that you'd wanna look under my (bar's) skirt?
frostiki: I think I need a Mai Tai too.
heelgrinder: We're gonna have to get the San Antonio tribe together again :). I even found Orgeat locally. :) But come on...your whole house is WAY swanker than my 8'x10' room!

TT

awwww....pshaw! can't wait to see it!!!

WOW!
For such a small space you did an awesome job there! If my wahine and I go through Alamo-Town in the future, we'll give you a ring!

Keep up the great work!

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!
Myspace Texas Tiki

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-01-13 18:55 ]

Nice ambience teko teko. I like the eclectic pieces, Peace.
ST

D

neat stuff charlie ~ especially the killer slit drum [ha ha]. if i dont get a chance to drink up in the Lone Star State ~ i'll have to wait till you set it up in the Pacific Northwest!

Pages: 1 12 replies