Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Tiki in the middle of No-Where, NV

Pages: 1 11 replies

On a recent trip to Ely, Nevada, Smiley and I took an afternoon drive out to a small town called Eureka. This is about 4 ½ hours north of Las Vegas, in the middle of nowhere on a stretch of Route 50, which is dubbed the Loneliest Road in America.

It is essentially a one street town that was a booming mining town a long time ago, but now is a bit of a living “ghost town.”

Well, we had a nice lunch of chili dogs at the only restaurant in town, then walked down the 3 blocks of this main street to look at many of the old defunct businesses. Much to our surprise we saw this.

Look a little closer…

This cute Lil’ Guy (!) all decked out in his bow-tie, was hanging in front of a very rundown bar. The graphic seemed a little modern, but the place was so trashed it looked like no one had been there in 15 years at least! We peered in the windows but it was an absolute mess, and there were no signs of tiki anywhere…no for sale sign either, I don’t think anybody is looking for much business opportunities there.

Anybody ever been to Eureka when this place was open?

Lucky Stiff.

The power of tiki, Marquesan style.

Nice post, Inkylouise.

Thanks for the great post. Urban archeology at its finest.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 18, 2007 6:23 PM

Cool find. Cancel the appointment with the optometrist :)

What an interesting sign. Horseshoes, 4 leaf clovers....tiki, I would have expected the tiki to be wearing a cowboy hat instead of a bow-tie.

O

I would love to see what is still inside.

This post sparked a thought: Does Las Vegas have any tiki bars at all any more?

I remember the one at the Venetian a few years back. That's been converted, though, to something completely non-tiki. Then there's the Peppermill's Fireside Lounge, which isn't tiki at all but retains some of the atmosphere (dark lighting, tropical plants, intimate seating). Other than that, I have never found anything that's even remotely tiki, and I've been pounding the streets of that town for a decade now.

Anyone else know of anything tiki in Las Vegas?

On 2007-01-19 07:44, Ojaitimo wrote:
I would love to see what is still inside.

it was so dark and dusty in there i took a couple of photos, but they show nothing.

we looked for someone to let us in and scrounge, but there was no sign of life for miles....

On 2007-01-22 12:16, Block 16 Lounge wrote:
This post sparked a thought: Does Las Vegas have any tiki bars at all any more?

I remember the one at the Venetian a few years back. That's been converted, though, to something completely non-tiki. Then there's the Peppermill's Fireside Lounge, which isn't tiki at all but retains some of the atmosphere (dark lighting, tropical plants, intimate seating). Other than that, I have never found anything that's even remotely tiki, and I've been pounding the streets of that town for a decade now.

Anyone else know of anything tiki in Las Vegas?

there are tons of forums on this very subject, in the travel forum, but i am too technically challenged to put a link in this message...arggg.

Nice find on the sign.

Here is an interesting conversation on tiki in Las Vegas

H

Good eye Inky!

By the way, am I seeing that right, is this not a depiction of one of those rare three-legged :wink: Fishermen's gods that made it by the missionairies?

..which would explain the name of the bar being "Lucky Stiff"?

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-02 11:22 ]

Pages: 1 11 replies