Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Exotica and Related Music at iTunes

Pages: 1 19 replies

Here’s a link to my blog where I listed all the Exotica, Soundtrack/Library Music and Guitar acts that came to my mind and are available at iTunes USA or if not there another of their international musicstores.

http://kawentzmann.de/cgi-bin/weblog_basic/index.php?page_id=48

If you find one that got away, let me know!
Edited to say Surf is now featured as well.

KK

[ Edited by: Kawentzmann 2007-01-19 05:47 ]

I sucked up all the iTunes Exotica too. If we keep hitting them up...maybe they will find more. :)

D

There is a request form for iTunes store too. Everybody start hitting it with exotica requests!

T

You might also try these:

Fisherman - Vibraphonic Jungle Exotica & Lounge
Kenny Sasaki & the Tiki Boys - Tiki Pop, Tiki Moon
Kava Kon - Departure Exotica
Milt Raskin & His Orchestra - Exotic Sounds of Hawaii

I agree that if we keep hammering them with requests, they might wake up.

I actually found Kenny Sasaki & the Tiki Boys on iTunes ... really great stuff!

D

There is also a ton of downloads from The Polynesians on iTunes - none of which is available on CD. Its not exotica, but its great vintage Hawaiian music.

[ Edited by: Digitiki 2007-01-29 14:39 ]

Thanks digtiki....I didn't know about the request form, so will definitely use that. Will also check out the Polynesian. :music:

I hate to blow my own horn, but someone's gotta do it. Don't forget Waitiki! We have been nominated for a Hawaii Music Award, and our first CD, "Charred Mammal Flesh," is in the que at iTunes, should appear sometime this month. Also, next week, we will begin recording our next CD, with more originals and some rare Arthur Lyman material in the works as well.

Excellent....be sure to give us a shout when you hit iTunes so we can support you. :)

Check out Sophisticated Savage's debut album "Strange Paradise" on itunes. Kinda tiki, kinda exotica, kinda modern - pretty cool. I think the lead singer appeared at Tiki Oasis a couple of years back..

T

Like the good Mayor, I'm going to blow my own horn here as well....

http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

screw iTunes, we have our own 99 cent downloads , AND you can preview to the entire song too.

I'm making a CD and posting the songs for download as they're completed.

Look for the CD, "StereoExotique" hopefully in June.

Aloha

I have a number of listeners overseas and when they get to know about the shipping cost they back out wordless, that doesn’t happen with downloads.
One more reason to support Apples efforts in online music sales and drm.

KK

Hey, the Tikiyaki music is spot on! Good work... and the album art is perfectly period. Nice project.

D

"Kapu" now has quite a few albums up on iTunes

"Kapu: The Exotic Sounds of Milt Raskin" is now available--appearently in several versions of the same thing. If you do a search for Milt Raskin you will come up with several hits on iTunes. ONe interesting thing though, the FLAIR records version of "Kapu" is much cleaner than the others. Although they appear to be the same album...interesting.

Why they put it up without any artwork is beyond me. But it is good to see some of the old exotica coming out on iTunes.

O

On 2007-07-24 20:16, Digitiki wrote:
"Kapu" now has quite a few albums up on iTunes

"Kapu: The Exotic Sounds of Milt Raskin" is now available--appearently in several versions of the same thing.

I've seen at least four versions of this. The one with the black label appears to be the mono version, the others stereo.

On the sound samples, yes, the Flair version seems to be the cleanest.

Are these from vinyl? I hear some hiss in the quiet sections but no pops or clicks. Maybe they were cleaned up. Any ideas?

D

No these don't sound vinyl, the sound like there were taken from the master tapes, but yeah they are a little hissy. Before the era of Dolby. I've noticed some of the records I have actually have more master tape hiss than record surface noise.

O

On 2007-08-07 11:24, Digitiki wrote:
No these don't sound vinyl, the sound like there were taken from the master tapes, but yeah they are a little hissy. Before the era of Dolby. I've noticed some of the records I have actually have more master tape hiss than record surface noise.

So I have a not-so-great-condition vinyl copy of this. Should I cough up the 10 bucks for the version you suggested? I really like this album, BTW. I guess I just answered my own question!

D

I have a pretty good copy, but sonically not at good as the Flair REcords copy, so I bought it, and also a couple of the "More" and "Even MOre" albums too. I would also say buy just to help promote iTunes released more of this vintage exotica.

T

Here's a great exotica album on ITunes....Bo Axelzon & His Exotic Sounds

I listened to the samples of Kapu, and although they are little hissy, they are still WAY better than the vinyl I have. Crown Records is notorious for sh*tty vinyl--even a pristine Crown record sounds like crap, but they are still worth seeking out because a lot of good stuff got released on that label. Darrell Brogdon of the Retro Cocktail Hour calls it his "favorite fly-by-night record label."

It looks like iTunes also has "Jazz Heat Bongo Beat" which is another great Crown release, as well as Buddy Collette and Don Ralke's "Bongo Madness" (although inexplicably the track listing for "Bongo Madness" is exactly the same as "Jazz Heat Bongo Beat" yet they are two distinctly different records.)

Pages: 1 19 replies