Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hey Graphic Nuts... looking for menu clip art.

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hey there, every menu I see, whether Trader Vic's, Dicks or old Kon-Tiki has the same simple drawings of drinks, kind of watercolor like. Wondering if anyone had a lead on these.
Thanks,
Robert

Good eye. Here are some pics. One menu from the kahiki and one from the Tur Mai Kai. Looks like the TMK ripped off the kahiki. The drink names and mug graphics are the same. Even the kahiki picks are shown in the TMK menu. Same graphics only diffrent colors used. Maybe this was common practice back then.

"Maybe this was a common practice back then."

Heck yes, and if I can get ahold of those clip arts, it will a practice today as well.

Robertiki

:drink:

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-01-23 10:52 ]

H

On 2007-01-21 21:42, Lake Surfer wrote:
I imagine back in the day someone took the photographs and manipulated them on a stat camera or copy machine... someway to get them to take on a positve/negative image.

I'm thinking that "back in the day" they just used paper, ink and a good hand. Probably faster and more economical than using a camera or a newfangled copy machine.

Hey Robert
I agree any artist with some illustration background and experience could easily recreate vintage drink illustrations from photos or old menus
but if you want to buy something - HouseIndustries has an over priced font set of TikiType which includes Tiki clipart images
http://www.houseind.com/index.php?page=showfont&id=26&subpage=viewillustrations

They're not really drinks but some cool classic line drawings that could be reworked - you'd also get there 8 or so "Tiki" fonts

Yup, I already got that font kit. I used both it and Shag font for my logo.

I'm just desparate for the drink drawings.
Robert

P

here . . .

[ Edited by: pdrake 2007-01-22 09:47 ]

Q

Robertiki,
Personally, and as a graphic designer, I really have a problem with "snatching" other people's works for your commercial menu art, even if the artwork in question may be no longer copyright protected. The reason why some old menus had very similar graphics could have been plagiarism, but more likely, the menus were manufactured by the same printing company, which had publishing rights to the artwork. I hate to say it, but it really grates on me when I see mediocre and unprofessional work using scanned art (a.k.a. stolen), printed on a lame ink jet printer. With so much artistic talent out there in the tiki community, I think your cause would be better served in commissioning someone to create an original menu design. After all, artists, just like bar owners, have to make a living too.

Well said quickiki! I wish I had said it myself!

well, I wasn't going to just "snatch" is like you say. I was looking for older clip art which generally is available for purchase. If I just wanted to "snatch" something, I would have gone to the Trader Vic's of Bellevue website and downloaded their menu via PDF and had my way with their graphics. http://www.tradervicsbellevue.com/TraderVicsCocktails.pdf

The fact that I spent good money on House Industries fonts should show that I'm not above shelling out for quality.

Hell, I loaned my Tiki font kit to Mark (Maori man) for use on the NW tiki crawl, a non-profit, but you should have heard me berate him that this is not to be used for personal gain. He can attest to this.

Nobody ever accused me of not supporting local artists before. Look at all the Pander Bro's art on the walls, or the string art mural by local artist Andi Kovel at Pour.

As someone who once wrote for a living, both at an ad agency and later as a columnist, I have been the victim of plagerism and don't think highly of being accused as such.

Robertiki - I definitely agree that you are a grand supporter of artists - Although I haven't been there, the images I have seen of Pour and Thatch entirely show the artist involvement in the design and creation of your very beautiful lounges.
My support of Quickiki's comment was not in an effort to accuse you or accuse your intentions, but rather in support of the general concept that artists in the community should be respected more by utilizing their talents and paying them. Let's face it ...artists have been disrespected through the ages with too many stories of great accomplishments despite meager wages and compensation. I appreciate all that you have created and applaud you for your artistic direction! The photos I have seen of the velvet murals are incredible!

T

I'll do a picture for oe of the drinks, if I have a picture of what you want it to look like.

This is what I was referring to:

uncle trav wrote:

Good eye. Here are some pics. One menu from the kahiki and one from the Tur Mai Kai. Looks like the TMK ripped off the kahiki. The drink names and mug graphics are the same. Even the kahiki picks are shown in the TMK menu. Same graphics only diffrent colors used. Maybe this was common practice back then.

Robertiki wrote:

"Maybe this was a common practice back then."

Heck yes, and if I can get ahold of those clip arts, it will a practice today as well.

My point is your are implying that the practice of ripping off artwork was common back then and if you had an opportunity, you'd do it now.

I have no problem with you employing artists - good for you! I work in an industry where electronic artwork is commonly "misappropriated" on a wide scale, because people view computer graphic designs as open domain, not owned by anyone, and therefore can be remanipulated into something else without permission from the creator. For good or for bad, everyone with a computer and a little saavy, can be a "designer", whether or not they know how to draw or have any aptitude for layout. Fortunately, mural artists, wood carvers and interior decorators are trades that cannot be easily copied or duplicated by a computer or "clip art". Digital illustrators and graphic artists need to be treated with the same respect.

[ Edited by: quickiki 2007-01-23 12:38 ]

S

Robert,
I can recommend Hoffa to do some custom work. He did some preliminary work for me on the Headhunter Lounge and it is perfect. If you send him pictures of your drinks, he can paint you original work for your menu like these. And I'd say he is very reasonable.

Here is the very low res version of drinks I used on the site. He did the logo painting as well and other stuff. What's on the site does not do it justice. He did these just off the top of his head. I can send you quality images for examples if you want to see them. You will be very happy with his work. Classic.

Email for contact info if you want to get his quote.

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ Edited by: Swanky 2007-01-23 12:50 ]

S

There are a few other local artists in the Tiki community right here in Portland that might appreciate the business as well.

NOTE: This is not intended as much of a response to anything else in this thread..more a side note, and I suppose something of an introduction to some of the other design geeks on TC, and a somewhat meandering one at that.

I have no problem with you employing artists - good for you! I work in an industry where electronic artwork is commonly "misappropriated" on a wide scale, because people view computer graphic designs as open domain, not owned by anyone, and therefore can be remanipulated into something else without permission from the creator. For good or for bad, everyone with a computer and a little saavy, can be a "designer", whether or not they know how to draw or have any aptitude for layout. Fortunately, mural artists, wood carvers and interior decorators are trades that cannot be easily copied or duplicated by a computer or "clip art". Digital illustrators and graphic artists need to be treated with the same respect.

[ Edited by: quickiki 2007-01-23 12:38 ]

=-=-=-=-
Way to fight the good fight. Let me tell you, as someone who suffered for a BFA in graphic design while working freelance to pay the bills (an who is currently so badly underemployed it hurts, but hey, I do pay the bills making art) I get really irritated at the trend of "I can see it, therefore can take it, and by doing so, I am a designer". I can also empathize with everyone who loves these drawings and can't produce their own; I can't seem to get the feel right (I'm more trained in photo and type manipulation; illustration is my achilles heel). Anyone have some concrete tips for achieving this look? (I'm talking supplies, methodology, printing technology, original pantones, whatever).

Pages: 1 16 replies