Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Official Announcement of Hukilau 2007!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

Aloha!! We are so proud to announce Hukilau 2007 "Experience Polynesia in America's Vacationland"! Come join us for four days of intoxicating tunes, tiki treasures from around the globe, exotic education and once again a magical evening at the historic Mai Kai among other dazzling events and experiences. And of course the entire weekend will be mc'd by Master of Ceremonies King Kukulele and Rock-A-Hula tunes provided by DJ Dr. Scopitone!!

We are so very pleased to announce that Mr. Robert Drasnin will once again be joining us at Hukilau he will perform his latest release, Voodoo II, live for the very first time during our Friday night main event accompanied by some of todays most talented exotica musicians – this is a follow-up to his mesmerizing performance at Hukilau 2005. Visit the Music page on the site for more details.

And equally as exciting is the Bum is back by popular demand! Jeff "Beachbum" Berry will enlighten us all with a seminar and the debut of his new book, "Sippin" Safari.? Be the first to get your copy and have it signed by the Bum himself and be one of the lucky ones that sip on some of the new recipes! Visit the “Special Guests� and the “Schedule� pages on our website for more details.

This year's Hukilau also presents a line-up of many “first-time� (or “virgin�) performers and special guests we are so anxious to share with the tiki community:

Please help us show these folks what The Hukilau is all about!

Be sure to visit the Latest News page for updates about the east coast's largest tiki event! We look forward to seeing you June 14-17th!

Please let Humuhumu know what you think of the website. She has done a phenomenal job!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki
Hukilau Co-Founder, Producer & Organizer

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-06-03 07:12 ]

I

Woo-Hoo!

Lots of good names on those pages. I can't believe that I will be able to see Robert Drasnin and Trixie and the Evil Hate Monkey on the same stage together!

I've already had my vacation request approved from work, so its just a matter of counting the days.

great web design, Humuhumu!

Vern

The logo is beautiful! The website is graphically amazing too! Kudos

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-01-24 17:29 ]

P

Great lookin' web site! :)

T

Wondering if you could have a one price ticket for everything ?????

There's not a pass for all events as you can choose what you'd like to attend. You might want to come to some but not all of the selections.

Aloha!

We're very excited to be coming to the Hukilau from NYC for the first time!
Can anyone recommend the Yankee Clipper vs. Bahia Cabana?
Thanks,
Kiki and David

M

Hey Miss Kiliki!
Can't wait to finally attend Hukilau--AND to visit the Mai Kai for the very first time, too!
Humuhumu has done fantabulous magic with the website....but who created your awesome new logo tiki? No artist credit given??? What gives?
:wink:

-Miehana

Kikitiki - as far as the 2 hotels, the Yankee Clipper and the Bahia Cabana are right across the street from one another. The Cabana is a favorite for those that like to keep the party going into the wee early hours and who don't really mind the noise. All the rooms in the main building are built around the pool area where the opening party will be held. You can choose to stay in their buildings across the street and sleep with no problem. This is the old Florida style and the hotel sits on the intracoastal.

The Clipper is a Sheraton property and is built to resemble a ship. It used to be privately owned until 2005. It's a historic property and basically is your choice if you want a quite nights sleep and a few more amenities. It's the hotel that hosts most of Hukilau's festivities and also the Wreck Bar where you can watch the mermaid swim all weekend! Hope this information helps.

Miehana - the artist that created the logo for Hukilau this year is the amazing Kevin Kidney! You probably recognize his name from the illustrations in Jeff "Beachbum" Berry books and also read his bio on the website, he and Jody Daily created over 200 collectibles for Disney's 50th while they worked for Mickey (there's a thread on TC). I am so happy that they will be at Hukilau this year with an amazing seminar!!

Can't wait to see you both!

Aaaaaah! I can't believe we're talking Hukilau again already! And Drasnin's gonna be there.... I guess I hafta go.

S

We might just have to come down from Jersey for this. I've got the flyer in my Mai Kai bag at the house from last week when we were there. I can't wait to get back but the thought of Florida in June is killing me.

June is actually not as bad as you think. Yes, it will be hot but the humidity and insane temperatures don't kick in until July.

RG

Is the large marina overlooked by the Cabana Bahia the Bahia Mar marina? Can you see slip F-18?

Rev. Griz
Dissolute Missionary, Church of Jim Beam Orthodox
Spreading good news by the bottle in the jungles of Utah

[ Edited by: Rev. Griz 2007-01-25 08:46 ]

The marina is between the Bahia Mar and Bahia Cabana. I hope this answers your question!

RG

Holy cow! I was only joking, but that might actually be the right marina. I was making reference to the abode of Travis McGee, star of 21 mystery books by John D. MacDonald. He live at the Bahia Mar marina in slip F-18 aboard his barge style housebout, the Busted Flush, won in a poker game.

S

The Bahia Cabana is the site of the last or maybe only known hanging of a pirate in Florida if that helps pin down the answer. If you take the water taxi from the Cabana, you will be standing about at the exact spot of the hanging.

Early morning customers help snuff out fire at landmark Bahia Cabana

By Macollvie Jean-François
sun-sentinel.com
Posted January 30 2007, 8:44 AM EST

FORT LAUDERDALE -- Regular patrons at a landmark beach bar and hotel helped save it from burning down early Tuesday when a fire broke out outside the hotel.

Customers at the bar in the Days Inn Bahia Cabana Beach Resort saw flames coming from near the entrance at 3001 Harbor Drive around 1:30 a.m. and quickly grabbed extinguishers to put it out, said employee Mark Michalak. He called 911, sending Fort Lauderdale firefighters from their station next door to the 70-room hotel to take over.

No one was injured or evacuated during the incident.

Hours later, the outside wall on the right side was blackened, its wooden planks the only signs of a fire.

"It could've been a lot worse," Buff Rhinehart, the hotel's maintenance supervisor, said. "It's not too bad. It's more superficial than anything."

The cause of the fire is undetermined, said Lois Bowman, division chief at Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue.

Just booked my flight and my room!
See you in June!
Finally getting down there!

Woo-Hoo!

Tiki Chris - so glad you're makin' it all the way over from the UK!! Bring the rest of the London posse with you will ya?

Ok guys, if you're plannin' on attending the seminars you gotta try to purchase quickly. We're sellin' out fast!

On 2007-01-30 18:16, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Ok guys, if you're plannin' on attending the seminars you gotta try to purchase quickly. We're sellin' out fast!

Did she mention that Beachbum Berry is presenting AND autographing his books?

And there was somthing else about some cocktails......

Heard the Bahia Cabana is completely sold out.

Any TC'ers get in? Or is it just summer tourists?

Aloha everyone --- Orchid Wahine here, one of the Hukilau organizers -- wanted to pass along some important info!

The Cabana is blocked out FOR Hukilau -- it is not yet sold out --- when calling to make your reservations, you MUST indicate you're a Hukilau participant to get a booking and receive the Hukilau room rate.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that posting Orchid Wahine.

She's right, after calling the Cabana I've confirmed they're not sold out yet, you must mention Hukilau as stated above.

This hotel always sells out first so be sure to book right away if this is your hotel of choice!

Thanks much for the follow up... after revisiting the post on another website, the poster mentioned they called the wrong number.

False alarm. Sorry!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-02-01 13:24 ]

P
PremEx posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 3:08 PM

Question for experienced attendees:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to booking the 1st show at the Mai Kai vs. the 2nd show of the night? Is one more popular than the other as a result?

Mahalo!

G

On 2007-02-01 15:08, PremEx wrote:
Question for experienced attendees:

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to booking the 1st show at the Mai Kai vs. the 2nd show of the night? Is one more popular than the other as a result?

Mahalo!

Last year, I believe the first show sold out first. Am I right, TK? Not sure why really. It's the one we went to. I prefer it because if you get there before the doors open, the Molokai bar is empty, so you have your pick of tables.

I can honestly say that one show doesn't differ from the other. Probably the only difference is that lots of the folks that have come to Hukilau since the beginning usually book the first show.

You still get the Happy Hour prior to the 2nd Dinner show, entertainment in the Molokai and the rear dining rooms. And, you get to celebrate as well!

What is it with you parent hatin' tiki folk!?!?!? Mother's day, Father's day---whatevah! :wink: . I'm not sure if Inky and I can make it, we have other things going on around that time. razz?!>|?

V

I booked my tickets. I'm coming, YEAH.

M

I just paid for 3 tables!

The Thor Stor is vending this year... I can't wait to go!

All booked in and ready to go. I just need to make sure that Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al will be there to watch over me again on Thursday night! (painful memories).

T

On 2007-02-28 13:59, rugbymatt wrote:
All booked in and ready to go. I just need to make sure that Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al will be there to watch over me again on Thursday night! (painful memories).

You actually remember it?

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 7:07 AM

Last I heard, Ben will be missing his first Hukilau in a while. He's got some big jobs that need him. Won't be the same without him.

P
pablus posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 3:45 PM
R

I remember bits and pieces. Kind of like the bits and pieces I spewed on the poor security guard.

Bamboo Ben not at Hukilau? What a tragedy.

going to the hukilau , any helpful advise would be great , i was wondering about reservations to the jet setter lounge on sunday , if i should make them now , or when i get there , will i be able to do everything and take care of it once there , i have my mai kai ressrvations , mahalo

Tiki Deluxe - Have you purchased your Hukilau tickets yet?

Yes, I would recommend calling the Jetsetter directly and making your reservations. Their number is 561-533-7999.

I'll be posting some great tips that Humuhumu posted last year. Just check back here and you'll find them soon - or check on the Hukilau website within the next couple of days.

Welcome - you'll have an amazing time!

mahalo TK looking forward to it

Tiki Deluxe - just wanted to make sure that you noticed the 1st timers at Hukilau thread on Other Events. Check it out - if you still have questions, please let me know.

S

We're SO excited! Can't wait for the Hukilau! The Diva Pinup will be there with acres of fabulous tropical hair accessories!

Szanne

Yaaahooooo! Passes puchaced, reservations made. Is it June yet?

Finkdaddy - just 3 short months away. I need all the time I can get though! Hope you got my email.

Look forward to seeing you!

Added to the lineup for Hukilau 2007:
Waitiki
Crazed Mugs
The Dollsquad's "Calu" peforms exclusively on Thursday 6/14 - Hukilau Kickoff Party!
James Teitelbaum's Seminar "The Making of Tiki Road Trip - in Technicolor"

Don't miss the unforgettable performance by Robert Drasnin!

Check out the 2 newly added videos featuring an interview with Robert Drasnin from our own Jeff Chenault here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzI1jrtio1g

And Dionysis sent this one to me today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTUWlr6o8k

Enjoy - just 7 short weeks until we hear it live and in person!

Who's getting in ahead of Hukilau? Will there be enough of us to completly take over the Molokai for the unofficially-official wednesday night pre-party at the Mai Kai?

I

I will be arriving Wednesday, and do plan on going to the Mai Kai that evening. My flight is scheduled to arrive at 7:20 pm. How late into the evening/morning does the Molokai serve drinks?

Vern

Glad you're comin' in early Vern!!!

The Molokai will stay open pretty darn late for all of us that night. I believe there were some at the Mai Kai last year until after 2am on that Wednesday!

Mahalo to Chip and Andy for reminding everyone of this very fun night that kicks off the Hukilau celebration!!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies