Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Recipe: Miracle Limeade

Pages: 1 6 replies

This is an exotic drink I just invented. It relies on the Miracle fruit to change it's flavor profile from bitter to sweet.

1 ripe miracle fruit - Synsepalum dulcificum . see description below
2 oz. fine dark rum
Juice of 1/2 lime
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 oz grapefruit juice
2 dashes orange bitters
shake and serve over ice in highball glass.
garnish with slice of lime and lemon, miracle fruit on drink skewer.

Directions:
chew miracle fruit, discard seed, then drink your limeade. You can probably get in two rounds before the sweetening effect wears off.

Miracle Fruit
Common name: Miracle Fruit
Botanical name: Synsepalum dulcificum
Family: Sapotaceae
Origin: Ghana W. Africa
Avg. Height X Width: 6' X 2'
Season: All year
Damage temp: 28 F
Miracle fruit has a unique glyco protein that inhibits taste buds' perception of sour taste for half an hour up to a couple of hours. They can make lemons taste like lemon candy. The fruit can be used to enhance the flavor of grapefruit, strawberries, and lychees.

[ Edited by: thegreenman 2007-01-25 20:34 ]

Just my luck! Ran down to my local Winn-Dixie and Publix stupidmarkets . . . they're fresh out of miracle fruit! They don't know when the next shipment from Ghana will arrive.

I didn't say it would be common, or even uncommon, but the plants should be available to grow in LoCal, and I know the plants are available here in Sofla in tropical fruit nurseries. If I can scare some fruits up for the Hukilau, I'll bring some to give away to test. I'm not sure if they will be fruiting in mid-summer, or if they keep frozen though.

Anyone have recipe with starfruit in it?

I knew that. It was fun watching the Produce Managers at both stores trying to look it up anyway! They even took my number and promised to look into it and get back to me. Yeah.... right!

On 2007-01-26 06:48, GentleHangman wrote:
Just my luck! Ran down to my local Winn-Dixie and Publix stupidmarkets . . . they're fresh out of miracle fruit! They don't know when the next shipment from Ghana will arrive.

I tried my first MF tablet about a month ago (green packaging) :S. I didn't like the acid taste that much, but the effect was off the charts!

Guess what: I bought another pack a week ago, again from http://www.miraclefruitworld.com (well, from one of their retailers sour2sweet), sth called Miracle Frooties. They are so much better! No acid taste in my mouth, also lasts longer. Hell, at least now I know what i put in my mouth, has all the ingredients on the box, in English!, and says ISO 9001, HACCP certified. I got 600mg, so twice the size, for almost the same price. Recomend it! And if sbd is throwing a Party with the new ones, let me know :D

S
SamL posted on Sun, Feb 1, 2009 6:45 AM

I found your Recipe posted on http://www.miraclefruitworld.com, under their Recipes section. They have a link to your site and that's how I found this great forum :)

Just got the new Miracle Frooties in my mail on Friday. I'll try the recipe for Valentine's Day. This one is going to be the best ever!

Any other drink tips to try with Miracle Frooties?

Silly spammers, don't you know that beans are the miracle fruit? The more you eat, the more you....well you know.

Pages: 1 6 replies