Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Forbidden Island RUMFEST 2007!

Pages: 1 13 replies

M

Reposted from our mailing list....

Aloha!

Forbidden Island is pleased to welcome you to…

RUMFEST 2007!

Throughout February, Forbidden Island is celebrating the glory of rum with a series of events, tastings, new products, and more.

To kick off the celebration, Forbidden Island is adding SEVENTEEN new premium rums to our already world-class collection. Explore the diverse world of rum, and take advantage of the opportunity to sample rare & exclusive spirits available nowhere else. Sip them neat, on the rocks, or prepared simply with fresh squeezed lime juice and our housemade pure cane syrup. Or take a trip around the world with a tasting flight.

Mark your calendar for these upcoming exciting rum-fueled events:

February 7th at 6:00pm: RUM 101 with Edward Hamilton.
Forbidden Island is pleased to welcome Edward Hamilton, internationally known rum expert and the author of four books on rum. Edward will be giving an overview of the history, manufacture, and tasting of rum. Learn the difference between rums of different countries, how aging affects the flavor and appearance of rum, and much more. Admission to the event is free, but we encourage you to buy tasting tickets in order to have the great opportunity of sampling the rums Edward will be speaking about. Tasting tickets are available in advance or at the door for $25, but supplies are limited, so hurry in. Don’t miss this very special event!

February 22nd, starting at 5:00pm: Don the Beachcomber 100th Birthday Party
Donn Beach: Man. Myth. Legend. The inventor of the tiki bar. Early proponent of premium rum. Creator of the Zombie. And so much more. He would have been 100 years old on this day. Come celebrate his legacy with rare, classic Don the Beachcomber recipes and general merriment. Forbidden Island simply wouldn’t be here today without him.

February 25th at 2:00pm: Rum & Cigars
Spend a (hopefully) sunny afternoon on our patio with the two great tastes that go great together: Rum and Cigars. We’ll enjoy cigars paired with premium sipping rums from Nicaragua, the Dominican Republic, and more. Meet other rum and cigar lovers; see if you can taste the similarities in cane and tobacco grown on the same soil. Tickets ($35) will be very limited for this event and will be available in advance only at Forbidden Island.

Plus: a very special Valentine’s Day event with drink specials, DJ, and more! Details to follow.

Don’t miss all the excitement in February at Forbidden Island!

Mahalo!

....you got me salivating over here......It sounds like it's going to be a great month!

On 2007-01-28 08:44, moondog426 wrote:
....you got me salivating over here......It sounds like it's going to be a great month!

Me too, until I figured out that that said RUMFEST and not RUMPFEST. Oh well, have fun anyway!

T

Wow, the rum shelf at Forbidden Island sure looks different all of a sudden. And I should know, having spent more than my fair share of time staring at it.

A very interesting addition are the Murray McDavid Rums, cask aged in Scotland.
http://www.bottlewatch.com/2006/02/murray-mcdavid-rum.htm

I'm looking forward to getting through all of those.
On the Laphroaig cask aged rum, the smokey peet really comes through. Its a nice rum front with a peet-y scotch back. Fascinating.

Thanks for the additions Martiki!

O
Otto posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 9:14 PM

Martin made me drink the Diplomatico which, unlike me, is light and fruity.
Now its my favorite rum and I can't stop drinking it and I'm hungover and its Martin's fault - oh, sorry, I'm drunk.

Yes the rum shelf is a force to be reckoned with.

I look forward to tasting my way through about 25 of them in one night. I already have my ticket. It is number one.

Don't miss Edward Hamilton, author of The Complete Guide to Rum TONIGHT at 6pm as he discusses the origin, creation, and styles of rum. Admission is free, but we are selling tickets to taste the rums along with Ed. It's selling out fast - get there early!!

CL

We'll be there. :)

S

This sounds so interesting. I'm realy going to try to come. Hopefully I'll see you kids there.

Suzanne

T

I'll be there as the door opens!

WELL, WE'RE WAITING!

How was Rum 101?

M

I think it went very well, though I'll let others expound on their experience. It's not an ideal setting- it would be better to have tables so there's a little more room, but we're just a tiny bar. Because it was such a challenge to get the rums at the last minute from various distributors, there was not enough time to get a list in everyone's hands. We'll do that next year for sure. The idea was to compare and contrast styles from different islands, differences in aged versus unaged, and aged versus "over-aged". Here's a list of what we tasted in order:

Cruzan Estate Silver (USVI)
La Favorite Blanc (Martinique)
Cruzan Estate Diamond (USVI)
Appleton V/X (Jamaica)
Cruzan Single Barrel (USVI)
Rhum Barbancourt 8yr (Haiti)
Rhum Barbancourt 15yr (Haiti)
Santa Teresa 1796 (Venezuela)
La Favorite Vieux (Martinique)

Thanks Martiki,
It sounds cool to me, I'll try to make it next year.

Great event, Martiki. If you're looking for a larger space, can I suggest we have it at my house next year? :wink: Thanks for posting the rum list... will there be any additional notes from Ed to go with it? I would have loved a handout with the tasting list and a few bullet points on each one (island of origin, ingredients (molasses vs. cane juice, etc.), tasting notes). Thanks again!

B

The next big event of Rumfest is the celebration of Don the Beachcomber's 100th birthday this Thursday. I think this auspicious occasion calls for a fez night Ladies and Gentlemen. The “boys “will be there in fezzes, anyone else?

Pages: 1 13 replies