Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

best restaurant in Maui (proposing to girlfriend)

Pages: 1 10 replies

staying at the grand waliea and have a rental car and am looking for the best restaurant (food, ambiance, view, service) in maui. Thanks!

I would have to say Mama's Fish House (in Paia - heading towards Hana on the Hana Highway, 10-15 minutes out of Kahului) is my most favorite - food, service, ambiance, decor, etc. The prices are less than those at the fancy Wailea resorts, but they are on the high end. If you go, make sure you order a couple of their appetizers AND their wonderful Mai Tais!! And be sure to call ahead for reservations and wait for a window table!! I suggest getting there before the sunset so you can see the ocean and their beautiful grounds, but stay for the sunset until after dark when they light the tiki torches. There will probably be a conch shell being blown to celebrate the setting of the sun.

I want to be there RIGHT NOW! :D

• Myke

Congratulations.

My first suggestion is skip the restaurant, propose at sunset on the sand (taking care not to drop the ring). Thereafter, have room service deliver pizza, or whatever else can be slid under the door.

If a restaurant is the plan, the main restaurant at the Sheraton, Keka'a Terrace.
It glows at night with tiki torches. One walks on a bridge over a koi pond just to get there.

Not too lively (like Hula's), but not sleepy. Entrees are $33, so it will not be mobbed and you can have some privacy. The view is nice over the hotel lanai - it feels very spacious.

If you want to drop the big bucks $200, the Sheraton and other hotels will fix a private table for two on the lanai overlooking the ocean.

Here is a photo of Keka'a Terrace during the day:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/pub/media/378/na378re6_md.jpg

T

On 2007-01-30 19:01, tikiwinebear wrote:
I would have to say Mama's Fish House (in Paia - heading towards Hana on the Hana Highway, 10-15 minutes out of Kahului) is my most favorite - food, service, ambiance, decor, etc. The prices are less than those at the fancy Wailea resorts, but they are on the high end. If you go, make sure you order a couple of their appetizers AND their wonderful Mai Tais!! And be sure to call ahead for reservations and wait for a window table!! I suggest getting there before the sunset so you can see the ocean and their beautiful grounds, but stay for the sunset until after dark when they light the tiki torches. There will probably be a conch shell being blown to celebrate the setting of the sun.

I want to be there RIGHT NOW! :D

• Myke

I'd second the vote to Mama's but only by it's reputation. The one time I was on Maui was only for about two days, and I didn't even know what I was missing. Once I realized, I could have kicked myself.

If you want to propose in a restaurant than it's mama's fish house all the way.

But the beaches along the hana highway are pretty awesome too...or the bottom of haleakala...or...

buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Maui-Revealed-Ultimate-Guidebook-Second/dp/0971727902

"Maui Revealed" and study all the amazing places that you can propose and then go to while on vacation.

congratulations! have fun!

PS - nice screen name

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2007-01-31 19:42 ]

T

Yep. The Maui revealed guide book is awesome. The Missus and I just picked one up while planning for our next trip out there. Probably the best guide book I've seen on that island.

Another idea is to do it on a Sunset dinner cruise, over the ocean.

Will you be doing this down on one knee? :drink:

We were there a few years back, it's awesome! We weren't hungry, it was just after lunchtime and too soon for dinner, we sat at the bar and had the $14 mai tais. Quite nice. Took tons of photos. The hostess told us Sammy Hagar and his party were coming at 5pm, it would have been fun to hang around and see that, but we didn't. I bet he doesn't appreciate people telling everyone that anyway!

The grounds there are spectacular, it's a wonderful setting, especially for a proposal.

Hope you go to the Old Lahaina Luau as well, been there twice, it's great!

Mookie

On 2007-02-13 12:54, TikiMookie wrote:
We were there a few years back, it's awesome!

Aloha, Mookie.

There where?

Pages: 1 10 replies