Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Tiki Kon V, Portland, July 27-29 Sunday Tour Sold Out!

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

It is about freakin time!!! Sheesh!

Wooohooo! Just in time.

PLT

We're in for the full meal deal! Must prepare liver.

D

tickets purchased! we're in for the entire adventure.

hey Rose City folks, any suggestions for hotels other than the Jupiter, that is nearby?

Hey Dog Bytes,
The Embassy Suites is close and also near a certain doughnut shop.
http://embassysuites.hilton.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=PDXPSES

T

Not to start a panic among the natives, but there are only 8 Full Deal tickets left! Get 'em while they're hot!

Hey Tiki Kon'ers,

Did you hear about the Tiki Fashion Show pre-party?

Yah, you can get all dressed up early and go to Tony Starlight's Supper Club. There will be clothing, jewelry, hair flowers, etc... for sale at the venue from ALEXSANDRA'S (vintage clothing): http://www.myspace.com/alexsandras and I will be modeling a few tiki-fab fashions (you can buy the clothes right off the models)!

INFO:
VINTAGE FASHION SHOW AND SALE BY ALEXSANDRAS 8 PM FREE
THE TIKI VERSION
Tuesday July 24
live at
Tony Starlights Supper Club
http://www.tonystarlight.com
3728 NE Sandy Blvd , Portland, OR 97232
Vintage fashions modeled by a variety of vivacious vixens. A wide selection of clothing and accessories for both men and women alike will be available for purchase, as well as everything you see in the show. Entertainment provided by Tony Starlight and Reece Marshburn and other special guests.

See You There and/or at Tiki Kon!

Mahalo,
Kamakoonga

PS
Did any of you tiki-goers go to the Tiki Oasis last year in San Diego? It will be good to see ya'll. Or any of you been to the Tonga Hut (North Hollywood, CA)? I used to bartend there, but now I live in PDX. I can't wait for TIKI KON!!!!

[ Edited by: KAMAKOONGA 2007-07-02 13:36 ]

M

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!

Only Three (3) full-weekend tickets left for sale! We're 3 away from being sold-out!

-=C

T

...and we're SOLD OUT for Sunday! Hope you got your tickets in time, otherwise start begging around to see who has a free ticket, who isn't that fond of their SO, who needs money for drugs, er, mugs!

o(..)o
Taboo Tiki Kon Blog
Tiki Kon V: Venture into Darkness
[email protected]

[ Edited by: TikiMama 2007-07-09 16:53 ]

T

Ahoy!

I've been getting a lots of email, thought I would update here to catch everyone up.

• The Original Home Bar Tour is sold out, but we still have tickets for the Cannibal Feast & Celebration
  • We do have space for vendors! Please email me at if you would like to participate
  • I will be sending a schedule out, and you will receive a schedule when you check in. Don't worry, you aren't going to miss anything!

Questions, concerns, whining, complaining, compliments (those will be answered first) can be directed at me! [email protected]

I'm looking forward to seeing you all!

-h

D

who are the vendors so far?
i'll try to not spend all my money in canada this weekend..

On 2007-07-15 17:21, dogbytes wrote:
who are the vendors so far?

Munktiki, Craftster.org, NW Tiki offerings, Bamboo Craftsman, an artist invitational project, and other local artists and vendors.

As well as plenty of other goodies, surprises, and exotic delights from the dark recesses of foreign lands.

NW Tiki Kon IV
Venture into Darkness!
July 27-29th, 2007
Portland, OR
http://www.nwtiki.com/

Sputnik Housewares will be there too. We will be bringing vintage cocktail glasses, barware-shakers, juicers, ice crushers, blenders, monkey pod pupu platters, trays, ice buckets, HIP/CJ resin figures, and mugs I can bear to part with.

T

Sputnik! Oops, already mentioned. Also, a new to the world of tiki vendor, mazeofmadness.com

Great vendors! Can't wait to spend the pile of cash burning
a hole in my pocket!! Glad I just bought a station wagon
for extra hauling room..

Just sent out Schedules to all ticket holders (or at least, the email used to purchase tickets).

If you have any questions, email through the website, or send me a PM!

P.S. I just updated our Mug Creation thread over here.

Less than a week to prepare our livers! Portland here we come!

Few questions...

Any word on the "Secret Location" for Friday?

What time does the Party at Jupiter start on Saturday? Can you buy tickets at the door?

T

We're all ready to go, but we're a bit apprehensive about having booked a room at the Jupiter. Reviews on Citysearch are abysmal! We live in town, so we can just bail and go home if it's too dirty/stinky/noisy/moldy, but I hope those of you from out of town don't get stuck with a bad room like the folks on Citysearch did.

Do you vendors only take cash? I hate to walk around with a huge wallet full - but if necessary, I will!

D

you shoulda received an email with the details,

On 2007-07-26 16:12, TikiTrevor wrote:
Few questions...

Any word on the "Secret Location" for Friday?

What time does the Party at Jupiter start on Saturday? Can you buy tickets at the door?

T

The Jupiter is usually ok - it can be noisy, but this weekend we'll be the ones being noisy! Other than that, it is clean. If you have any problems, we work closely with the Jup manager so I'm sure he'd be glad to hear any complaints! In fact, he usually sends an email after you've booked with his direct contact information in case of issues.

I haven't bought tickets for the event so I did not receive an email. The website doesn't give any info either.

M

If we told everyone where Friday started, it wouldn't be a secret, now would it? :)

Saturday Tickets will be available at the door starting at 7pm.

If you'd like to join us on Friday, Look for the brightly coloured gang of people tonight in front of the galaxy at 7.

BUSY BUSY BUSY!

Awesome. Thanks for the info (someone tipped me off last night to where the secret location was). I'll be at the Brew Fest tonight but maybe I'll run into the gang later. For you out-of-towner's, if you have a few hours to blow, the Brew Fest would be fun to check out. It's close to the Jupiter along the Waterfront

Aloha everyone! I hope you had a great time this weekend! If you have pictures you want to share, Sara set up a Flickr group for Tiki Kon (you have to have a Flickr account to add them to the group):

http://www.flickr.com/groups/tikikon/

She has already added some, please feel free to add yours! Or post here with links to your pictures (or let me know if you need technical assistance/server space for your pics).

Mahalo!

to the Tiki Kon organizers ~ a SUPER GIAGANTIC THANK YOU. FrankTodd and i had a fantastic time all weekend. the weather was perfect (i know you have an in on those kinda things ~ and the transformation of the Jupiter was awesome. please pass our thanks to the home bar hosts and to the Alibi. ROBERTIKI ~ Thatch is wonderful, please transport it to seattle so we have a place to drink!

to all the folks we met, old and new friends ~ i love you man & BoraBoris ROCKS.

What a terrific event! The premiere event of the PNW keeps getting better!
I was thrilled to win the Munktiki coconut mug, but still was envious of the
year of Voodoo donuts winner. Special thanks to our friendly neighbors from the
north for bringing a "special" bottle of rum and sharing with everyone. I
think I remember we drank the whole thing. The only bummer for me was I missed
the naked women on Friday. Dang it!!

KH

Thanks for the super fun weekend. The organizers did a great job, and the home bars were excellent. Thinking about all the fun I had (and rum I drank) the last 3 days makes it hard to concentrate today. When does happy hour start back up? And are there dates for next year yet?
Thanks again!

P

It was a total blast! Thanks to the organizers and all the groovy people who made the event possible and opened their home bars for the tour. We're very excited to get our home bar going now, and got some great ideas. Watching people try to come to grips with 50 tikiphiles riding the public bus from bar to bar on Friday was a hilite. :) That and getting to sample Pyrat rum from the belly button of the giant ice tiki.

Thanks so much for the great weekend!! Austin and I had an awesome time and sold out fast at the vending table. We met so many cool people on the bus and look forward to future events...perhaps involving cock fighting! There seemed to be an expressed interest at one point I believe...:wink:

I had a great time this weekend Thank You Tiki Mama, Melintur and the entire Tiki Kon V Planning Commission. I hadn’t been to Portland for 17 years so this was a great way to see it again.

I took a lot of pictures and I’ll put some in the Flickr account but here a few for now

Night #1 with Steve and Theresa.

Stuckie and The Future Mrs. Boris?

Public Transportation is a really Big Deal in Portland.

Melintur mixing em up.

Selector Lopaka, Dogbytes, a Bald Guy (with nice calves). Pepe le Tiki, Atomic Al and Jauna.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-07-30 19:42 ]

Thanks, NWTiki crue! We had fun and too much rum. We scored some great accessories for our home bar and look forward to future pdx tiki action, after our puffer fish wounds heal and the rum withdrawals become a memory.

Much aloha!

If you've misplaced your program or never got one or just want the online version, I've posted the TK2007 signature drink recipes over in the Food & Drink thread!

NW Tiki Presents TIKI KON V: Venture into Darkness!

[ Edited by: Melintur 2007-07-31 10:10 ]

We had a blast...my head still hurts! Thanks to our fearless Safari leaders & organizers for such a fun weekend! It was so great to meet some new friends and catch up the gang!! We scored some great souvenirs from the vendors too!
I'll post some pictures asap!

We of course thank all the sponsors and vendors and organizers greatly, but I'd like to personally thank the attendees. Without you, none of this would be possible (or warranted). It's you-all who keep the community going. It's people, not rum nor music nor mugs that keep Tiki alive.

Mahalo indeed. I love you all. :)

...I think the rum has a little to do with it. No dis intended to the peeps...

:wink:

Once again I had a great time -- despite all those creepy people that freak me out. Speaking of them, I have some photos, but no time to write captions right now, so you'll have to piece together the narrative yourself.

That block of ice with the Pyrat bottle, truly the downfall of the evening.

I tried so hard to stay sober, next thing I know I'm sticking my tongue in an ice sculpture taking shots of Cockspur, and then drinking what was likely the coldest shot of anything ever with the Pyrat XO in the ice.

The best part though? The donut version of the ice version of the mug the next morning.

RD

Holy cats!

What a fine weekend that was! Awesome music, great drinks, and of course the ohana! I'm so happy to have such a group of relative strangers to party with for three full days. All my "normal" friends were beat by sunday morning and opted out of what is always the BEST part of these things, THE HOME BAR tour. Many thanks to the gracious hosts for letting such a large crew of riffraff into their homes.

Also, many thanks to our two damn fine local tiki bars. It was awesome to see Thatch filled to the brim with bonafide tikiphiles, if only for a couple of hours. And the food! Oh my gods. Thank you Robert for all that great, much needed, gratis grub!

It was really great to re-learn all of your names, I can't wait to re-learn them again next year! Don't take it personally, me brain no good worky.

Thanks to Heather, Greg, Blair, Sarah, Kim, and Noel (look at all the names I remembered! ...or maybe just made up) for working their arses off to make this the best weekend of the summer!

But after all that fun, I find only seven pictures on my camera. Three of the ice sculpture, two blurry shots of ???, and two like this:

Aye luv you guyzsh!!....

[ Edited by: Rum Demon 2007-08-01 20:25 ]

T

Damn! that looked like fun!
One thing, however:

we need to know the story behind this!

Hey you Tiki Freaks....
Aloha MA and I had a TikiTastic time in Portland Towne. Thanks for lettin' me drive the bus..... Just kidding! 8-}
....now if we could only figure out how to make a living doing this..............
Here are a couple of jpgs to teeeeeese you but you can go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/9776480@N06/ for a full set of the Friday and Saturday tour.

Mahalo,

Tacky Tiki Tim & Aloha Ma

Aloha Tiki Koners,
Here are two Images from the Verbtones fabulous set on Saturday night. For more shots from this great band, go to:
or

Mahalo Nui Ya'll,

Tiki Tim & Aloha MA

Hey People!! Pick up today's Portland Tribune(August 10). Page C3!!

Or read it here: http://www.portlandtribune.com/features/story.php?story_id=118662229774906400

I know Anne Marie talked to a bunch of people and was sorry the article couldn't be longer!

Also, Bill Adams has kindly posted his pictures from the Crawl here:

http://portlandpartyposse.com/gallery/v/TikiKon2007/

Many mahalos to Bill for doing all that, and to Lenny for making the pics look professional.

[ Edited by: TikiMama 2007-08-10 11:32 ]

I'm a little late but here's a couple short videos on Youtube I took with my camera during the debauchery. Not the best quality (I need to upgrade!) but at least they give you a peek!

The Cannibal Feast & Celebration

Sippin' a Volcano Bowl at Portland's newest Tiki bar, Thatch

Pepe's Videos

Pages: 1 2 92 replies