Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

TIKIITIS-a serious affliction-ask the nurse!!!

Pages: 1 17 replies

Do you think about tikis day and night, is your yard covered with wooden idols, do you have a bamboo bar, do you frequent tropical bars expecting the perfect mai tai, are your walls covered in shelves of tiki mugs, do you constantly push a pencil around creating psychotic tiki pictures, can you regularly be found at thrift or antique stores scouring through junk to find the illusive mug, can you recognize a Shag print from 100 feet away, is exotica always blaring from your stereo system, do you post on TC? Well my friend, if you have one or more of these symptoms, you have...

T I K I I T I S

It is an incurable affliction and not only occurs to individuals, but takes over entire families. It worms its way into communities and countries and has reached global proportions. The only thing medical science can do at this time is offer physical and emotional support to sufferers of tikiitis. We, the healthcare community offer support to you by way of this thread. Talking about your hopeless tiki addiction can help to reduce the tension you constantly feel.

The nurses here on TC can also share some words of wisdom on other afflictions as needed. This in no way takes the place of seeking medical attention and advice for your symptoms, but we hope to offer you a space here where we can answer your general medical questions. And now a word about our staff (this section will be updated as our staff grows).

THE NURSES

~ VampiressRN = 16 years Intensive Care Unit and 12 years Telephone Nursing & Clinical Education Expertise

~ Whorton = 13 years Intensive Care Unit

~ Ojaitimo = 25 years Mental Health

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.

JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-02-06 05:09 ]

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-02-25 10:00 ]

V

My name is Vontiki. This is difficult for me to face, but I believe I may have this affliction. I answered yes to all the symptoms. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone.

TT

yup.. i got it too...BAD

..sbim

On 2007-02-05 14:16, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:

..sbim

W

a little on that pesky tiki nurse in Oklahoma. . .

BSN University of Oklahoma '93

Critical care since then

Started out by becoming a paramedic in the late 70's. . and you guessed it! John and Roy (EMERGENCY!) saving lives is what got me started! Graduated high school in '77 and was already an EMT basic. . original national registry number was #110247..

rediscovered lost drive-in in the 80's
rediscovered Tiki in the 2000's

I know there is a bit of another thread about what got us into tiki, but for me, it was the realization that all those "exotic" places (Tiki bars, restaurants, and culture), like the drive-in theatres were mostly gone.

I have to wonder, I wrote a few columns about "drive-in theatre Archaeology and finding information about those which were gone. Many of the tricks I used should be just as applicable to finding Tiki. Anyone interested in reading the columns about how to make these discoveries???

Wesley Horton

I am actually pretty close to Tulsa these days? Where are you VampressRN??

I'm in Northern California by Sacramento. I remember going to the drive-in and seeing the old Tarzan movies. Post a link to you articales, would love to read them.

AFLAC :D

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 6:01 AM

I am McTiki....I am a Tikiholic.....

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 6:09 AM

Not only has the tiki gotten bad, the TikiCentral for me is getting out of control. Hanford must put nicotine into the green background. If you don't believe what I'm saying, look at the time I'm posting at.

F

I hear one relief for the symptoms involves a mixture of Rum, Orange Curacao, simple syrup, Orgeat, and Lime Juice.

V

Oh really??? I'll have to try that, thanks.

The affliction definitely requires a mixologist and a shopping trip to the local thrift store. GROUP HUG!!!

O

Actually I believe the rest of the world is in denial. Rather than a physical condition, I believe this is a mental condition indicated in the Diagnostic Statistics Manual (DSM manual) for mental disorders.
It applies for those NOT into tiki and conformists who think the crap being built now is hip.
As a mental health nurse I with over 25 years of experience, I have witnessed this first hand.
It is up to us to spread the word and save the world from this mental disorder one person at a time.

OJ...I just added you to our nursing staff here at TC. I like your "flip this world" attitude and goal of curing the non-tiki subjects. This reverse psycology should be of help to all of us. :)

The drive-in theater. The misspent days of my youth. A bunch of friends and I used to frequent the local drive-in back in the late 70s. One of my friends had a pick-up truck that we always took. We parked backwards in front of the screen and sat in lawn chairs in the bed of the truck. We always brought a Hibachi and bar-b-que'd right in the back of the truck. We always had a cooler with beer and it was a cheap Friday or Saturday night. I remember one hot August night we were well into the second feature and more than halfway through the cooler when I mentioned to my married friend who was there with his wife that there was a girl who kept walking by on her way to the refreshment stand that had caught my eye. My friend wanting to be a pal said I'll introduce you and in his best neandertal caveman fashion threw an empty beer can in her direction to get her attention. In case you're wondering that's not a great way to meet women and it never worked for me. Not surprisingly it was another 10 years before I got married.

MA

Vamp, your doin a fine service for these poor souls! Keep up da great work. Dont foget, if any of them get outa hand [well,so to speak]& look like there headed for the dark side, the Agents can be summoned to assist you. http://www.agentsofvoodoo.com We're here to help. [as far as you know]........Remy

Thanks....great to know we have such talent close at hand. Sometimes these tiki addicts can code if forced to be away from tiki for an extended period of time. It is an ugly site when that happens, usually starts with incoherent mumbling, shaking of the limbs, incessant drooling, and kaleidoscope eyes. Immediate care requires large volumes of music-exotica, 3 Mai Tais (back-to-back) and fondling of a tiki idol.

Stay on the alert for tikiphiles that may be on the verge of suffering a withdrawel melt-down....the recovery team is at-the-ready!!! :tiki:

M

The thought of those pictures escaping the so ethically entrusted, makes me shiver! Please don't do it! It was all in fun!

Please?

McTiki

Pages: 1 17 replies