Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Thanks for Playing! Lyric Contest Winners Announced!

Pages: 1 2 89 replies

J

I will be making my first visits to Damon’s and the Tonga Hut on Saturday, February 24th as part of a SoCal roadtrip. In an attempt to bribe some of the local TC ohana to join me, I’m having a couple of contests.

“JenTiki’s Roadtrip to SoCal - Contest #1”

The Prize
The 1st place winner of the contest will have their choice of the following prizes:

• a NIB Forbidden Island Tiki Mug, based on FI’s logo tiki, designed by Tiki Diablo and produced by Tiki Farm! (Check out my Ooga-Mooga page for a pic of the mug.)
  • a Forbidden Island T-shirt available in men’s or women’s styles and a huge range of sizes (you can find pics of the shirt being modeled by the lovely Sonya in this thread)
    The 2nd place winner gets whichever prize the 1st place winner doesn’t choose.

The Contest
Design a poster/flyer promoting JenTiki’s visit to, and Kirby’s Birthday celebration at the Tonga Hut on 2/24. It must mention the following information:

• The date
  • The place
  • at least 2 of these three simultaneous events: Kirby’s birthday celebration, JenTiki’s 1st visit to the Tonga Hut, TC Night

The Deadline
Entries must be posted on this thread by 11:59pm PST, Thursday, 2/8.

The Judging Criteria
Make me laugh, make me cry, don’t make me hurl! Basically, I’ll choose whatever I like for whatever reason I like it! It’s my thread, I get to do what I want!

The Catch
The winners must be present at either the Tonga Hut, or at Damon’s for the pre-Tonga Hut dinner get together, on February 24th to collect their prizes. No proxies will be allowed. Be there, or forfeit your prize!

For those of you without graphic design/artistic inclinations, there will be a non-photoshop contest following the completion of this one with equally fabulous prizes!

Good luck and have fun!!!

[ Edited by: JenTiki 2007-02-22 09:58 ]

Yay! Another Contest! Welcome to OC Jentiki! We'll try to make your visit as painless as possible! Just stay out of GROG's way! Especially if it's cold outside (see below)
OKAY!
Somebody's gotta get the ball rolling! First Tonga Hut Flyer entry present for duty,SIR!!!!!

Gentlemen...Boot up your Computers!

SECOND FLYER DONE!
No competition so far,eh?
This one I created with Kirby in mind...

C'mon you Lazybones! let's see some flyers! :)

Happy Birthday Kirby!! I know it's early but what the hell. I believe I'll be in that neck of the woods that weekend so I hope to stop by and share some aloha.

Marchercizing-it's good for the soul!! Thank God for 7-11, or exclusive, significant cultural leaps forward like this would never happen.

J

On 2007-02-05 13:50, alohacurrent wrote:

I believe I'll be in that neck of the woods that weekend so I hope to stop by and share some aloha.

I hope you can join us! It would be nice to have a face from "home" there too!

H

Does 7-11 sell gift cards? Does anybody know? :o

J

You guys aren't really going to let Dead Kenny win this one are you? Let's see what some real Live artists can whip up!

By the way, sucking up to the judge is highly encouraged! :D

H

You know I am going to hold off with the gift card from 7-11. We haven't heard from Kirby in 26 days. What's up?
Kirby? KIRBY? Kirbyroni where are you? Kerbers?

What? Are you all Lazy? Can't skate at work like the master? C'mon folks!
More Flyers!

J

Oh my tiki! Just how young are you in that pic Little Lost Tiki?!? That must've been way back in the 20th century!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 6:34 PM

Would have entered had I been able to pick up a prize...

K
kirby posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 9:43 PM

Hil im still around... Ive been hard at work on the new bar stools for the tonga hut mini bar.... I cant wait for my big birfdayparty/jensvisit/TC night at the tonga hut...

K
kirby posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 9:46 PM

I agree wil kinney... more flyers...dont let kinney win,his photoshop sucks....

J

On 2007-02-05 21:46, kirby wrote:
I agree wil kinney... more flyers...dont let kinney win,his photoshop sucks....

And where's your entry Birfday Boy? You too can win fabulous prizes!!

Jen you always make me laugh! omg Kinny I can't even compete wif yer fotoshop skells an stuf.. I wel be thar tho! Jen"s Coming to town & Kirby's B.D. HipHiPaHuaLA!!

J

On 2007-02-05 23:23, Hiphipahula wrote:
Jen you always make me laugh! omg Kinny I can't even compete wif yer fotoshop skells an stuf.. I wel be thar tho! Jen"s Coming to town & Kirby's B.D. HipHiPaHuaLA!!

That's cool, you even misspelled your own name! Now that's commitment to the premise! :wink:

Now throw somethin' together so Kinny can have a little competition. Really, just about anybody else who enters has a very good chance of beating him! Just 'cuz his enthusiasm really gets on my nerves!

Here is my entry,
I am exhausted, I'm not the greatest with photoshop type or outlining hair. I had high expectations for this flyer and then I ran out of gas.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-02-05 23:54 ]

J

Yay!!! We finally have a contest!

Now where's that Sqwidart I hear so much about?

J

Looks like the Tiki Brat Pack is gonna be there folks! You won't want to miss this!

Now where are all the flyer entries? I might be willing to break my "must be present to win" rule if some of you out-of-towners want to play along! So let's see whatcha got!

Forget those Out-of-Towners! They wouldn't know a Photoshoppe if it bit 'em on the behind! Way to go Boris! Nice Slim Jims! Here's another flyer to motivate you LOCAL folks to enter! Don't make Jen have to pay postage!
Here is one inspired by those old Family Dog/Avalon Ballroom psychedelia posters,Man!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HERE'S A BETTER ONE!

Looks like Bora-Boris has been Moonlighting! :wink:

C

Well I can't be there to par-tay with you fine folkd so I am technically disqualified fromthis contest but I still can never pass up a chance to photoshop your mugs! So for your eye googlin pleasure I submit the following:

hee-hee, I would put more of you freaks in there but I ran out of room.

Chongolio

BB

Chogolio you are the Greatest!

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-02-06 19:52 ]

BB

Here is my second entry -

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-02-06 19:53 ]

J

Yay, my humble little thread has been graced by Chongolio! Love the flyer, man! Too bad you won't be there, and besides, don't you already have a FI mug?

Boris, sweet Boris! Thanks for giving Kenny a little real competition! At this rate, you're a shoe-in for the mug! Keep those ideas coming!

D
dibroc posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 8:01 AM

I was just at my local 7-11 to do my " gift shopping" for the event. I was able to pick up 2 big bite hot dogs for just $1.29. WOW now I have something for Kirby and Jen such a deal.

to quote a friend
"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Just got back from the Rapids of No Return (and Dr. Shrinker's house) and what do I spy?
New flyers! YIPPEE!!!!! Bravo Boris and Chongo!!!
Now the competition's gettin' a little jumpstart!!! Chongo,that Moai on the bottom left is incredible handsome! Squid's Moai makes him look like HooDoo from that Sid and Marty Kroft show "Lidsville"!

J

Hey people! And Squid and Kirby! Where are all the flyers??? Are you really gonna let Kinny and Boris win all the prizes by default?

Here's my entry! Screw photoshop!!!!

Because it's his birthday Kirbs doin' somthing a little different this time!!!!!!

WAY TO GO POLYNESIAC! SEEING AS IT IS A DIGITAL SCAN, I THINK JEN WILL LET IT SLIDE! REMARKABLE LIKENESSES!IS THAT DAVE PEEING ON A DOG? MAYBE THAT'S WHATS KEEPING HIM FROM POSTING! :lol:
AS FOR PHOTOSHOP FLYERS,HERE'S ANOTHER ONE! AS YOU CAN SEE, THE QUALITY CONTROL ON THESE RECENT ONES ARE MUCH MORE RELAXED! WHY? DO YOU ASK? BECAUSE THERE IS
ABSOLUTELY NO COMPETITION! BRING IT PHOTOSHOPPE FANS!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-02-07 16:07 ]

J

What!?!
Nice try, Polynesiac! But I'd have to say that your flyer does not qualify for a prize based on the following:

1. JenTiki IS NOT BUYING EVERYONE DRINKS!!! (I'm just a poor girl looking for a good time!)
  2. Some of the activities portrayed in the flyer have been deemed "hurl-worthy" by the judge.

On 2007-02-05 11:11, JenTiki wrote:
The Judging Criteria
Make me laugh, make me cry, don’t make me hurl!

One more before I head home....

J

JenTiki is NOT buying drinks!!! Jeez, Kinny!! I thought you were on my side! Keep this up and I'm not bringing prizes either!

OY!

S
squid posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 7:50 PM

On 2007-02-06 00:35, JenTiki wrote:
Yay!!! We finally have a contest!

Now where's that Sqwidart I hear so much about?

Nag, Nag...My damn work doesn't just do itself ya know!!! I got bills to pay and an entire corrupt government to topple. But maybe, just maybe I can squeeze something in tonight.....
Bring me more coffee dammit!!!!!!
:)

On 2007-02-07 16:31, little lost tiki wrote:
One more before I head home....

WTF??
I didn't even know I owned a suit.
and why would I say be there. when I'm not going to be there.
sorry going to portland and Seattle for Satan's Pilgrims and Ghastly ones shows. Other wise I would be there, Frasier suit and all.....

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Bummer! and Ernie was gonna wear his dress/boot ensemble for you!

S
squid posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 8:03 PM

Here. I worked all friggin night on it.

J

Boy, if I weren't already planning to be there, that threat alone would motivate me! Scary Dude!

Here is my final entry.*

*I will not make another flyer until I have a database of everyone’s dumb head in good lighting and at the same angle! Waa!

Also I didn’t know Jeff (bigtikidude) wasn’t going to be there and I’m not sure if Soccer Tiki or Bamboo Ben are going to be there either but I like it the way it is.

Waa!

I just realized I spelled Tonga Hut wrong but since it's Kirby's birthday I can live with it.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-02-07 22:57 ]

On 2007-02-07 22:07, Bora Boris wrote:
Here is my final entry.*

Chongolio's the one in the wig?

This one's for the MySpace addicts:

I vote for Polynesiac's Entry rules be damned.

See you all in hell. I will be the dude in the corner doing shots of lighter fluid and setting Ben's crutches a-fire.
Chongolio

I'm with Chongolio!
Polynesiac should at least get an Honorable Mention! That many bodily functions as well as the Michael jackson crotch-grabbing pose as well as the ciggies in our hands as well as Squid peeing on that cat/dog thingie plus the catchy title! Also bumping up Kirby's watersport fetish with something a little more scatalogical-Pure Unadulterated Genius!!! My only criticism of this fine piece of folk art would be tha fact that Dave should also be wering glasses.....and GROG isn't ugly enough! :lol:

On 2007-02-07 22:07, Bora Boris wrote:
Here is my final entry.*

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2007-02-07 22:57 ]

WOOOOHOOOOO! BoraBoris get my vote for this entry :)

I also think Polynesiac's flyer is the best. Will there be signed prints available?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 10:21 AM

Polynesiac get GROG vote. Bora Boris close 2nd. Kinny disqualified for too many submissions and for being Kinny.

But wait! I have another!

K

OK, time to add my vote for Polynesiac, I think it's damn clever, and good for the low literacy population. (sorry to everyone else! You too, LLT...)
K.

Pages: 1 2 89 replies