Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Upcoming New Line - not Tiki

Pages: 1 36 replies

M

Aloha,
I received the license to produce drinkwares for my friend, Kim Taylor Reece. If you are not familiar with Kim, he is the world's most renowned photographer of Hula Girls & Hawaiian dancers.

I'm just a little bit nervous as this line is out of my comfort zone, but I feel that it will do well, especially in the Hawaiian market. What I would like is your opinions on this product line? The glasses are frosted with a 1/2" clear lip. They will retail somewhere likely around $8.95 each. Are these something you would see having a place in your home?

Here's the photo...

Mahaloz!
Holden

Hubba hubba! Heck yeah, they'd go in my bar!

T

I like them! As we all know, if you put a picture of a pretty girl on anything it will sell :) I think these would make a nice highball glass. You can sit in your tiki bar drinking a zombie and feel like you are in a tropical paradise with these!!
(Just don't let you wife catch you) :P

[ Edited by: Tiki_God 2007-02-05 14:05 ]

awesome!! you don't see any glasses with actual photos on them out there..just more of the same ol' same hula graphics.....i say do it!! and put me down for 2 dozen right off the bat. i bet if this guy did the same concept with actual black and white photos of vintage tikis they would sell just as well.....or vintage tiki bar signs for that matter.

M

cool - I'm likin' what I'm reading! Check out the glass on the far right & see how I've grained the transition to the right. I felt it looked a lot less forced & a lot less like "a photo against a white background".

Any suggestions/recommendations are always appreciated.

M

ps - unfortunately, I had to get creative with photoshop & do some strategic "nipple cover up". Sad...sad.

T

Will these be available in the religious votive version?... :wink:

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 4:18 PM

On 2007-02-05 15:27, MakeDaMug wrote:
ps - unfortunately, I had to get creative with photoshop & do some strategic "nipple cover up". Sad...sad.

I wondered about this...all of the Tangs I've seen that are made in the US are sans phallus, missionary style, but all my decanters from the Cook Islands hang long and proud. I take it any entries for the mug design comp should be "G" rated?
These are real nice anyway, classy looking and a good shape for nice tall tropical drink. I don't think you have to worry about them fitting in with your other range as hula girls are right up there with tikis themselves in defining tiki style. Now if he could take some shots combining the two...

T

Can we get more skin?

can you make these like those vintage nudie girl novelty glasses where her skirt and lei disappear when the glass gets cold from ice?? ..HAR!!!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 5, 2007 6:41 PM

I like them. Id prefer a tiki mug, but I like them. But you'll get people who like these and dont 'get' tiki mugs, so I think they will sell well.

MN

Holden,
If you haven't finished the run yet you should use the kinda ink that makes the leis vanish when you put cold liquid into the glass. Or a certain percentage.

Hubba hubba indeed!

:o B-O-I-N-G!!!

I need a cold one, tooo HOTTT!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

M
McTiki posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 5:40 AM

Oooooh! these are teh nice!!! I'm liking the vintage B/W and tiz a shame for da photocropping :(

Mahalo

McTiki

H

I had to ... do some strategic "nipple cover up".

WTF???? Everybody loves nipples!

MN

On 2007-02-06 06:58, hodadhank wrote:

I had to ... do some strategic "nipple cover up".

WTF???? Everybody loves nipples!

They're one of my most favorite things and most people have 'em.

Here is a short list not in any particular order of my favorite things:
collecting barware
black and white photography
drinking
nipples
Hawai'iana

So far, the product covers 4 of 5 interests. :thumbsup:

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-02-06 07:29 ]

N

You should do the a limited run of the "bare" version of these, the cover up weakens there beauty in my eyes. I'd by the bare but pass on the "G rated".

I still can't understand why guys can flaunt there hairy nips all over the place but gals have got to cover them up, especially in the USA "land of the free" - to freak out over wardrobe malfunctions and "home of the brave" enough to ban breast feeding in public. :(

MN

On 2007-02-06 07:44, nitropic wrote:
I'd by the bare but pass on the "G rated".

but gals have got to cover them up, especially in the USA "land of the free" -

I'd buy em too. I think you can, err.., the ladies can flaunt all they want in New York, NY by law.

T

That was the name of my band, Hairy Nips and the Small Dicks !!!!

TM

You said nipple...heh heh

M

I should change the name of the thread simply to "Nipple" but I think it might get banned:)

BB

I like 'em Holden and I think they're a Must Have for fans of Kim Taylor Reece.

On 2007-02-06 17:37, MakeDaMug wrote:
I should change the name of the thread simply to "Nipple"...

Naw! That's just crazy talk. Instead, why not just include one of these with every mug you sell?

These are cool and in a class all of their own. I'm digging them, Holden, but to hell with Photoshop! :wink:

D
dibroc posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 7:14 AM

I have to jump on the no photo shop bandwagon. I would buy either way but would much rather see the artist's version. funny thing is most of us would have not know if you did not tell us. Make them.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Feb 7, 2007 7:56 AM

I like the new Hawai'iana Nipple Bareware. Have you tried a softer effect for the borders? Like blur/fade?

Very cool Holden, Love 'em! Can't wait for the 'Remains of a Rainbow' plates either. Long live hula AND nipples.

K
Kanaka posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 5:43 AM

Those are super nice Holden. You should do really well with them.

Scotty

L

On 2007-02-05 15:26, MakeDaMug wrote:
cool - I'm likin' what I'm reading! Check out the glass on the far right & see how I've grained the transition to the right. I felt it looked a lot less forced & a lot less like "a photo against a white background".

Love 'em!! I'd buy a set!
Just my .02, but maybe a sepia tone to warm them up a bit? Here's my feable attempt for an example....

ST

I'd much rather have the unrated version too...

D
dibroc posted on Fri, Feb 9, 2007 3:38 PM

I have a idea. How about a release party at Mugoomba with the models when these go on sale.

M

On 2007-02-09 15:26, Lukeulele wrote:

On 2007-02-05 15:26, MakeDaMug wrote:

Love 'em!! I'd buy a set!
Just my .02, but maybe a sepia tone to warm them up a bit? Here's my feable attempt for an example....

Already requested sepia treated samples. Will post 'em when I have 'em.

I love the glasses. I'll buy a set. I vote for the uncensored as well. Here's a question maybe someone can answer. I collect vintage barware. I have a set of Smirnoff frosted collins glasses probably from the 70s. I'm afraid to use them too much because I'm afraid the frosting will come off. These Hula girl glasses are frosted. How sturdy are they? Is the frosting part of the glass or something that's applied? The frosting seems so delicate to me but maybe it's not? I hand wash - no dishwasher.

J

I'd buy a set.

Sepia or not, either works for me.

Non censored is the way to go. Just my opinion.

JP

J

Any news on these? When do we get to order?

JP

ST

Hey Kahn,

Try scratching your nail on the frosting. It it gives a sensation likes scratching a chalkboard the glass is probably actually frosted.

Pages: 1 36 replies