Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Ports O' Call, Dallas, TX (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

I just scored the whole shebang of paper ephemera from the Ports o Call, with the great suitcase menu, 4 postcards, and brochure. A bucket list item for me after seeing the display at Tiki Pop.

Also spotted the renderings of the four different rooms that Kenike had posted pictures of before.

DC

T

Very nice DC. I'm glad I didn't bid against you. :wink: I have two incomplete sets of that one. :(

Swizzle sticks in multiple colors.

Not sure what location this came from so I'll post it in all three

Got an email from Howard Dunn

"My late ex wife worked at Dallas’ Ports from about 1/1975 through 1978 or 79. Ex knew I had a crush on Shirley MacLaine. A fond memory was ex commanding me there one evening where I spent a fun evening sharing more than a few adult beverages with MacLaine

And a ps: I have often wondered about the veracity of the report Ports ‘O Call, Luau, and Kon Tiki were owned by The Luau Group, which was owned by Lana Turner. A good personal friend Edwin F. (Frank) Ko, was a training chef, and traveled to various locations, and ex said Turner was there several times, and was “bossy”. Just askin."

He also sent me some scans from the Ports o' Call menu

Aloha MDM! Great story. I really like your late ex-wife's line of thinkin....sounds like something I would do.

:tiki: :music: :wink:

On 2020-02-20 22:02, MadDogMike wrote:

And a ps: I have often wondered about the veracity of the report Ports ‘O Call, Luau, and Kon Tiki were owned by The Luau Group, which was owned by Lana Turner. A good personal friend Edwin F. (Frank) Ko, was a training chef, and traveled to various locations, and ex said Turner was there several times, and was “bossy”. Just askin."

Well Lana Turner was of course married briefly (twice) to Steven Crane, the principal owner of Ports o Call, the Kon Tiki restaurants and the Beverly Hills Luau, and thus had somewhat of a right to be a little "bossy".

They divorced for the second time in 1944 but she continued going to the Luau into the late 1960's

DC

On 2020-02-21 10:41, Mele_Ipo wrote:
Aloha MDM! Great story. I really like your late ex-wife's line of thinkin....sounds like something I would do.

:tiki: :music: :wink:

Just to be clear, that was Howard's quote not mine :D

M

ok i'm a dork! :D

Pages: 1 2 56 replies