Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Big Lots 2007 - Bamboo fountain

Pages: 1 18 replies

My Big Lots has medium-sized faux bamboo fountains, quite like (or maybe a bit smaller than) the one Target had last year for some $150 or $200-ish - but for $69. Yes, I bought one :)

I haven't yet even brought it out of the car, so I can't report on the quality except to say that one was running in the store and seemed great.

(One of those great moments - I stopped in simply because it's been months, when I heard babbling sounds. "Fountain? Could they maybe have something that could be transformed into a tiki lounge-friendly fountain?" I turned the corner and there among 4 or 5 other kinds was a Target-ish fountain! Happy Valentine's Day to me!)

F

Could you post a pic of your find? Not sure if there are Big Lots around here but it sounds excellent!

Stupid me, I just re-read the first post. Stupid meds making me silly. I hate chest congestion.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ Edited by: Unkle John 2007-02-15 20:14 ]

I bought the smaller, table top fountain from Big Lots. Sure looks just like the ones from Target last year.

K

Enjoy your new fountain, Ms F.!
Remember good placement for proper feng shui benefits...
:drink:
Ms K.

Hey Maltese T-

Sorry, no working digital yet :(

And I still haven't even taken the dang thing the outta back of the car - ha!

(No place to set it up in the tiki lounge anyway!)

AND:
My Big Lots had no more when I was there yesterday.

Oh-

There's another actual tiki fountain there now, but it's creepy.
It's like a fairly cool tiki but with water dribbling around/over it. Like it's crying and sweating profusely.

And it's lit. (???)

Now, without water but lit up, it might be a cool lounge light (in a dark room!)

....Maybe.....

Waiting to see the sale price in a few months,
F

I

I stopped at a local Big Lots store this past Saturday. They had a few of the bamboo fountains, lots of slate fountains of various sizes, and no other tiki items for sale.

What was bizarre was the entire store was a fountain. It must have been the mixture of cold weather, frozen water pipes, and probably a bad roof, but water was dripping in from the ceiling at many places around the store. Several aisles were completely closed off, due to wet floors. This included the aisle that sold bath towels - some were on the floor and soaked, others were still on the shelf. I would be in some other 'dry' aisle, and hear the sound of water dripping onto wet cardboard - look up, and see water dripping from the ceiling onto merchandise placed on the top shelf.

It was a bit like the Tonga Room, with their regularly scheduled rainshowers, but the falling water was non-stop, and there was no tiki atmosphere at all -- not something I would recommend for others.

Vern

Oh, Vern! :lol: :lol:

That was the BEST description!! Big Lots IS a fountain!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In an indoor setting, especially a small room, those larger fountains can get quite noisy. My bar is in a basement with 7 foot ceilings so it is even louder.

I found a solution to this besides cranking down the flow rate on the pump, which didn't make much of a difference.

Get ahold of some window or door screen, or you can buy screen patches. Cut to size and lay it in the bamboo stalks where the water hits. Cuts the noise down considerably, and reduces splashing water on your floors!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-02-19 22:11 ]

RB

those larger fountains can get quite noisy

I'll second that, and mine is outside on my deck. Looks very cool, but I needed to relocate it to a far corner.

S

I have a different fountain, but the same issue with noise. I put some half "clam" shells in the spot where the water hits to break it up and it made them very quiet.

I have that fountain on my front patio....I love it. I got mine at Raleys Grocery store about 3 years ago. :tiki:

I

Yesterday, I paid a return visit to the local Big Lots - the same one that had the leaking roof last time I visited.

The roof was now fixed, and they had the new tiki stuff in. One of the new items was a tiki-themed fountain. I thought it was kind of neat, with a sleek modernistic bamboo shell covering the tiki. The water comes out of the hole at top, and flows down the face of the tiki.

What makes this fountain cooler than most is that the transluscent amber eyes are lit from within by a halogen bulb. They act as semi-flashlights in a dark room, shooting a dim ray of light onto whatever wall surface it is pointed at -- or blinding your own eye when you look straight into it.

The material is a hard plastic/resin, and the whole thing stands two feet tall. The one I bought was priced at $40.

Vern

Formikahini is right. Kind of ...weird. That wet film over that creepy face makes it look like an "Alien" embryo peeling out of its egg....ooouah!
Once you cross its light sensors, it'll shoot out of its shell with lightning speed, and latch onto your throat with its razor-sharp teeth! ....I swear!

Yeah, that's very Northwest First Nations-y(Indian) to me. The eyes and teeth are very typical of what I see up here on totem poles and other first nations art. It's a weird combination, with the dugout canoe type shell and glowing features. I could see it as part of some strange 'Enchanted Long House' show.

This is a Haida Bear:

Compared with:

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2007-03-03 17:30 ]

Thought I'd share what I did with both my Big Lots Tiki fountain with the glowing halogen eyes AND the larger fauz bamboo fountain (which I actually got for a good price at Longs under the name Mai Tiki Bamboo Fountain). I combined the two together with much extra customizing -- plastic foliage, clamshells under each spigot (not seen yet in these pics), a sonic mist-maker with LEDs and lots of custom lighting. The other Tiki, by the way, is a lovely crocodile wood piece I got from Hawaii and which was carved from a log with all the bark still in place in the uncarved portions.

Mahalo, Castaway Clemens

I was in Big lots this week end and this is what I saw they had.

Pages: 1 18 replies