Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Handpainted Ceramic Statue

Pages: 1 9 replies

James from Pocketiki came round the other week to show us a broken plaster mould he had had lying around for a while.
Well we decided to give it a go and got this out of it, measuring 42cm high.
This is the first one which was hand painted and came out looking pretty good I think.
I'm going to do thesse as all different one off pieces which will go on Ebay, the link is in marketplace.
Great what you can do an old broken mould.
Does anyone have info on where or when this design may have come from?

Thos turned out very nice Cheeky...love the outlining. :)

Great work my man. That is fantastic.
Just imagine that as a drinking vessel. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

awesome job!! like the paint!!.....his right tweeks out, like he's trying to release a fart!! nice work though.....very nice.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 14, 2007 2:06 PM

Looks great :)

Would make a nice design to get a heap of different "guest" artists to paint on :) Like that DVA gallery thingo...

K
Kono posted on Wed, Feb 14, 2007 4:19 PM

I have a lamp made from that mold and was told it was a Holland Mold lamp.

It originally had a ceramic rectangular base that broke.

H

Aloha Cheeky Tiki! Great painting job with lots of details. Very clean lines.
Greetings to the big island, Haikai

Thanks everyone, Kono I'm sure trader Jim from Pocketiki will be intersested to learn who probably made them first.
Tipsy he does have a slight a-symetricality if there is such a word, it must have been the way it was sculpted , Konos looks the same.
The "Paint" is not a surface job it is actually an underglaze, which as the name implies goes on before the brown glaze.

WOW! Jamie, you have created a magnificent object of desire there. I can't wait to get mine, I hope you haven't peaked to early ol' boy, it's difficult to believe that you could better this one!

Just for the record, we all love those little details, don't we...This has been produced from a mold that I bought on eBay quite a few years ago for $3.25. That's right three and a quarter bucks!! I might add that it cost be a whole shed load more to get it from Texas to Frimley via Sean Francisco though. Anyway, that by the by, what's done is done. To see what Jamie has created has made it worth every penny!

I have owned an original black tiki, similar to Kono's lamp version shown previously, for a long long time. The only real differences seem to be the mouth detail and the height. The original is an inch or so taller. It has been one of my favourite tiki items. When I saw a mold up for auction I just couldn't help but bid on it. I knew it was insanity but hey!...I'm barking!!!!

The funny thing is that I have always thought that the Tahitian figure would make a great lamp base, and having seen Kono's 'Black Beauty', I guess I was right. That was the reason I wanted the mold...To make some cool 50s Modern Style Tiki Lamps! Now with CheekyTiki's help I can!!! Wahoo!!!

As Jamie already mentioned the mold turned up in three main pieces and a load of shrapnel. It has been in my top room here at Tiki Towers ever since. Waiting. Waiting for the day it could be brought to life. Ha, ha...IT LIVES!!!!

Pouring the first one was pretty exciting especially as half way through the elastic bands gave way to the weight of the slip and the mold opened up and poured the contents over the workshop floor. Whoops! More rubber bans and we sort it!

Whoops! Granville, f-f-f-fetch a cloth!

It's a Tiki! Where's my cigar?

If anyone does have any more information as to the molds origins I would love to hear it. Sorry I didn't post this earlier but I've been flat out putting the finishing touches to POCKETIKI #2 which should be out in a few weeks. Look out for the limited edition copies with colour cover & 'Hula Honey' centrefold and a great 7 song HULAPUNK sampler cd - All in a special bag! Labour of love? You betcha!!

All the Best from Tiki Towers - Trader Jim (Make mine a MAI-TAI!).

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2007-02-19 17:31 ]

B

Sweet looking Mug, I Really Likee.

Pages: 1 9 replies