Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Scored this couch set for $200..

Pages: 1 15 replies

TT

I picked this up today for $200 which i thought was pretty good as this stuff is hard to find here in Australia, there are 2x single seats and 2x doubles, obviously i plan to re-cover the cusions but the rattan is in good shape..
Can anyone tell me what it's worth or what you paid for a simmilar item???? there is a set on ebay for around $3000! which they claim is 1940's but i have no idea when this stuff was made..
Cheers..!!
Tiki Trav

D

Great score !

Hi Trav-

Yeah you got a great score! I'm hardly an expert but what you have is attributed to Paul Frankl, although rarely if ever signed. I read someplace that depending on how many bands on the arms determines the age of the pieces. I have a set that has 6 bands on the arms and that is supposed to be from the 40s. I see you have the 4 band...so either it's 30s or 50s I can't remember which...then again the whole band thing might be a bunch of crap..who knows! Anyway you got an awesome deal! I found a set last summer consisting of 2 arm chairs, a 4 piece sofa- (2 slipper chairs and 2 one sided arm rest chairs)and a coffee table for $300. Mine have vinyl covers that are brown and orange floral-not beautiful by any means but in great shape, vintage, and fine for outside. Here is a link to see just how much these things are going for once restored and reupholstered.

http://www.springdalefurnishings.com/florida_room/springdale_florida_rm_sold.html

..never mind those...let's have a look at those big red tikis in the background!!

Awesome score!
With the current upholstery, you could get anywhere from $2K to $4K, depending on the area of the country you are in. Either way, if it's for personal use:
nice find
:drink:
K.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 2:44 PM

On 2007-02-26 11:05, kikekeki wrote:
With the current upholstery, you could get anywhere from $2K to $4K, depending on the area of the country you are in.

What about the other side of the world? :)

Very nice score mate.

I found that this kind of rattan is also referred to as "Godfather" because it was featured in the movie. I found the reference to the "bands" and dating the piece refers to the bases.
10 band=1930s,9 band= 1940s, 8 band=1950s.

Heywood Wakefield did a line called "Ashcraft" in the 1940s that is made to mimic rattan but made of Ash. Rattan was hard to get during WWII so they faked it with bent Ash. That furniture is really nice too, I have 4 barstools. The chair design is more square without the "square pretzel" curve of the Frankl design.

TT

well i guess it was a good score! it has 10 bands on the base which may indicate that she is actually quite old AND a cool looking couch! Stoked!
Keep the info coming and thanks for the info so far guys, this has been quite an education..

On 2007-02-26 10:57, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..never mind those...let's have a look at those big red tikis in the background!!

those big tikis are the refrigerator/freezer in our bar.. I do large format digital printing for work so i just drew 'em up, printed 'em on some self adhesive vinyl and SLAP! tiki fridge!

Wow...what a beautiful set. Just get some vintage tropical print on those cushions and you'll be in heaven. Majorly jealous here!!!

If you haven't checked it out before, look at the great prints at Barkcloth Hawaii

Show us more pictures once you get them set up in your tiki room so we can drool some more. :)

Great find!!

That Fridge is tooo Keenoo, and I thought the one I did with bamboo slats was hot. You could take that idea to market. Anyway all this info on the rattan is invaluable. Keep it coming, in the mean time here are a few shots of mine. The Lanai is still a work in progress with a long way to go, but hey that's the fun of it. Looking for some vintage Lane surfboard end tables to match the coffee table but they are a bugger to find. The guy I bought my rattan from had tried to sell it in the largest yard sell in America, (goes from the Carolina's to Alabama) but after a week no one bit. He was sick of it taking up all his storage space so I hauled it off for $250.
"Momma, said there'd be days like that"

That Fridge is tooo Keenoo, and I thought the one I did with bamboo slats was hot. You could take that idea to market. Anyway all this info on the rattan is invaluable. Keep it coming, in the mean time here are a few shots of mine. The Lanai is still a work in progress with a long way to go, but hey that's the fun of it. Looking for some vintage Lane surfboard end tables to match the coffee table but they are a bugger to find. The guy I bought my rattan from had tried to sell it in the largest yard sell in America, (goes from the Carolina's to Alabama) but after a week no one bit. He was sick of it taking up all his storage space so I hauled it off for $250.
"Momma, said there'd be days like that"

S

Very cool set. But ditch the plaid and re-upholster with tropical patterns .You scored big time. Love it!

K

Trav, they are hot ,youve given me an idea for a new range of sofas for my shops sofa collection.. Dude i think we met . via LJ in newcastle ,
dude we chatted on the phone for a sec .LJ said you planned a big tiki party at your joint. how did it go? any pics?..LJ said you planned a full tiki newyears...

TD

kroozan? you have a shop? sounds like a retro shop? yet,no location in your profile,not even what part of the country you are in.just wondering .visiting retro shops is one of my favorites. TD

Pages: 1 15 replies