Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Dancing Tiki Drinks at the Oscars

Pages: 1 13 replies

I

For those of you who miss the days when the Academy Awards provided real over-the-top entertainment value, take a look back at the 1989 Oscars - which featured dancing women with giant coconut mug drinks on their heads.

The clip also includes Vincent Price, Merv Griffen, Roy Rogers, Snow White, and Rob Lowe.

The dancing coconut drinks appear at about 2:20 into the clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6Teda0y8A

Vern

goodness.

Can you image if they tried puttin' on a show like that these days?

Wow...that was like a bad acid trip!!! Rob Lowe singing to Snow White....bizzarre. Of course shades of Beach Blanket Babylon and if you are ever in San Francisco, go see that show, it is fantastic. No Rob Lowe but....

G

One of the user comments... "oh sweet jesus" ... just about sums it up.

That was the year the Oscars were produced by Allan Carr (Grease, Can't Stop The Music, Where The Boys Are) and it's so typical of his tacky vulgarity. I don't mean that as insult, I'd much rather see something fun like this than that 3 hour snoozefest we had last Sunday.

Ah the coke addled 80s! Hooray for Hollywood! hahahha

Wow. That brings back memories. The Oscars actually used to be fun to watch because of stuff like this - the awful clothes, the political rants, the winners who won't leave the stage until they've thanked everyone and their dog, the oh-so-solemn Parade of the Dead People (my friends and I used to start singing Jim Carroll's "People Who Died" at that point in the show), the tacky-beyond-tacky dance numbers, the sheer unadulterated bad taste of it all. Yes, it was like watching a gory car crash, but nothing really died (except maybe a small part of your own soul from watching it). I miss those days.

[ Edited by: DrMiguelito 2007-02-27 09:02 ]

wish they woulda showed Roy and Dale more! fooey

K

oh.
my.
god.
:o

I

I'm hoping that someone wears one of those coconut drink headpiece outfits to this year's Hukilau fashion show.

Vern

Has there been a song that suffered more abuse at the hands of others than "Proud Mary"? This version/mutation is right up there/down there with Leonard Nimoy's.

It's funny, when I first saw this "back in the day" I was horrified and embarrassed by the cheesiness of it.

Today I watch it and love it for the cheese factor! Cyd Charisse and Roy & Dale Rogers at the Coconut Grove? Snow White seducing Steve Guttenberg? Chorus boys doing high kicks! Fabulous!

On 2007-02-27 14:45, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Has there been a song that suffered more abuse at the hands of others than "Proud Mary"? This version/mutation is right up there/down there with Leonard Nimoy's.

Don't forget the Brady Kids version in Sid and Marty Krofft at the Hollywood Bowl. The poor kids in that audience must have spent years in therapy after that.

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Those award show people have some quick nerds working for them!

[ Edited by: karmalaundry 2007-03-04 09:03 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies