Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Hawaiian Romance of The Maikai Gents (formerly The He'e Amakuas)

Pages: 1 28 replies

Having delighted audiences around Los Angeles and Palm Springs, The He'e Amakuas are ready to entertain at your next luau or soiree.

http://www.geocities.com/theamakuas/

Many Tiki Centralites have enjoyed the lilting melodies of The He'e Amakuas at The Desert Luau in Palm Springs last April. Now with the addition of Lord Hunt on bass, the combo has a rich, full sound. Check 'em out and enjoy!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

p.s. Anyone play pedal steel?

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2002-05-20 16:28 ]

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2002-10-09 23:46 ]

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2002-10-09 23:48 ]

T

As I caught their act in Palm Springs I can say that it is an absolute delight! A truly soothing and enchanting Hawaiian treat for the ears and eyes. Perfect for your next luau or tiki party. No Jimmy Buffet here, folks!

A

Yes, I'll second that commotion. Seeing the he'e amakuas (perhaps not named yet at the time?) was really like the most. One of those moments where you look around and everything feels great. And now with Bombora/Fink/Ghastly/Invisible Lord Hunt on bass!

And it took only the slightest arm-twisting to get me to say so! I thought I destroyed all those incriminating negatives, but apparently some slipped through the cracks.

What I really wanna know is what's the name mean? Isn't the literal translation like "Talkative squid burden" or something like that?

-Randy
ps - I'm in socal this weekend, hopefully adding in a stop at TVics Beverly Hills and other parts.

M

They suck

M

OOPS- I hit the submit key too soon. Of course I meant to say "They Suck 'Em Up!". Don Ho eat your heart out!!!

For all of you with tickets to Tiki Oasis 2002 and to all of you planning on scaling the walls of the Caliente Tropics, we say aloha! We'll be performing Saturday evening and look forward to hearing your sweet voices singing along with us.

-The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

The He'e Amakuas invite you to sway your hula hips over to:
http://geocities.com/theamakuas
Enjoy!

[ Edited by: Miss Mauna Loa on 2002-06-05 00:17 ]

We have a new web-address! Come visit us at http://www.theamakuas.com See some photos, find out about our appearances, and sign our guestbook. Over the summer the page will become a lovely, ad-free website so check in once in awhile. See you at all the great Tiki events this summer!

I witnessed an impromptu performance by Iuka Grogg and Mika'ele Loco Moco of the He'e Amakuas one recent night on Sunset Boulevard next to the Tiki Ti! They were wonderful. Iuka wielded his mighty ukulele with great skill and Mika'ele provided hauntingly beautiful vocal stylings that blended and harmonized magnificently with the mellifluous voice of Mr. Grogg. It was bitchen.

Alooooha!

The Tiki Oasis 2002 sure was wonderful. I feel that there were many Tiki Central folks we didn't get to meet, though. If you're at Hukilau 2002 in Atlanta, please come up to one of us(The He'e Amakuas) and say hi. It's always fun encountering the fine folks who make up this community. Mahalo. We're looking forward to seeing you all at Trader Vics!

The He'e Amakuas have changed their name. The new name keeps the Hawaiian vibe and incorporates a bit of old-fashion lingo to go along with their classic style. It's also a heck of alot easier for haoles to pronounce. So, what's the new name? It's: The Maikai Gents Featuring The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa. Maybe TMMML will grace us with some more info?

Weird Uncle Tiki seems to have beat me to it with his post in the Tiki Events forum. Thanks. Thanks also to Annalulu for mentioning our show in your TIki Tones post. Just for that, your first Blue Hawaii is on us(Be sure to introduce yourself). We'd love to meet any other Tiki Centralites that are there, so please make yourselves known to us. Can't wait to see you all on the 27th.

T

Are there any plans to play the Bay Area in the near future (aside from me hiring them to do so :wink:?
Saw/heard them at The Oasis Weekend and loved every moment.

Thank you for your kind words, Tiki-bot. Right now, there are no plans to be in the bay area, but we're working on it. We would certainly love to travel up and serenade our northern friends. You'll surely know the moment we arrange a performance in your (and anyone else's) neighborhood. December will have us visiting some out-of-state luauers(Details to come). Aloha.

-Iuka Grogg

Boy, that was fun last night! Great to see the whole gang out at The Bigfoot Lodge. Well, I remembered my beachcomber hat, kukui nuts, and tiki charms, but not my camera so I'd love to get copies of the photos that many of you took. If you'd like to e-mail them, I'm at [email protected]. Thanks so very much, or as we say in the islands, MAHALO!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

The He'e Amakuas were wonderful enough to fly out and play at this year's Hukilau in Atlanta.

A big thank you to the boys! Great performance and great memories!

Aloha, Friends! We have moved our page to a new address and server. No more ads! There's also an mp3 of one of our tunes, if you'd like to have a listen. Our next step is to create a fun, full, and fab website. We'll keep you updated. The new address is http://www.mkgents.com

And to Tiki Kiliki: It was our pleaure being at the inaugural Hukilau.
May the spirit of aloha encompass you all.

Aloha, TIki Central!
The Maikai Gents are thrilled and filled with pride to be featuring a new bass plucker. He's honed his chops in such fun and influential bands as The Finks, The Witchdoctors, The Huntington Cads, and The Mighty Kegsmen. A true talent, indeed! His name and face will be revealed to all on February 18 at Lava Lounge in Hollywood. More info soon in TIki Events forum.
-Iuka Grogg

TM

This is a cool thread. The birth of a great band, way back in the early days of the neo-tiki movement!

I bumped it for no particular reason, other then I thought it was kinda cool!

TM

A great early tiki central memory I have is of seeing King Kukulele and Judd playing songs together at the international tiki day, years ago!

I went to a killer 3 band surf show at the Lava Lounge in Hollywood, in 2002 or so, and was very happily surprised to hear that the Mai Kai Gents were playing also. all of my surf friends were like what the hell is this old people Hawaiian music?
I told them to shut up and enjoy.
some liked it, some not so much.

I tried. just like I try to get some tiki people to like surf.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-06-29 11:23 ]

On 2009-06-29 10:07, bigtikidude wrote:
I went to a killer 3 band surf show at the Lava Lounge in Hollywood, in 2002 or so, and was very happily surprised to hear that the Mai Kai Gents were playing alos. all of my surf friends were like what the hell is this old people Hawaiian music?
I told them to shut up and enjoy.
some liked it, some not so much.

I tried. just like I try to get some tiki people to like surf.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

That seems to be a recurring theme for a lot of Hapa Haole bands: Some people (like me) asbolutely love it! others not so much!

For me, what's not to like about gentle, beautiful music? As hectic as my day is, soft music is like my oasis sometimes!

Judd is an awesome entertainer!

Wow, this sure brings back some memories. Fond ones, to be sure. Of more innocent days filled with ukulele strums and smiling faces and enthusiastic groupies(well, two out of three ain't bad). Thanks, Lucas for bumping this and for your kind words. I remember that Tiki Day party and the talk of us trying to put another musical project together. Maybe one of these days still.
Bigtikidude, that was a heck of a show at Lava Lounge. I hope that some of your surf snob buddies (and I do really like surf music, too) were at least impressed by the fact that we had an original Huntington Cad on bass!?!! Oh, well. The Maikai Gents continue to please those with a fondness for the golden age of the China Clipper seaplane service to Honolulu and the music that greeted those disembarking pioneering tourists. Ahhh, memories.

-Weird Unc

TM

You guys are awesome!!!! I luv me some Mai-Kai gents!!!!

My favorite Mai Kai Gents performance was at The Reef bar at Oasis #4. You guys really tore it up!! When can I expect another record? It has been a long time!! Rock On Judd!!

Judd,
a few of the surf crowd that was there appreciated it, as they are fans of Jazz too. so that kinda got them in the door.

at the Time I did not know that Steve was playing with you.

I was trying to make some moves on my date that night and trying to watch you guys at the same time.
needless to say, the Steve thing totally passed me by.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-07-01 16:56, The Sperm Whale wrote:
My favorite Mai Kai Gents performance was at The Reef bar at Oasis #4. You guys really tore it up!! When can I expect another record? It has been a long time!! Rock On Judd!!

That was one hairy, blurry, franticly fun romp! Rum be the fuel of hapa haole mayhem!

See yourself in the crowd? What fond memories of The Reef.

TM

Great pictures, Judd!

Hey, I see myself in the crowd...that indeed was a great show!
Thanks for bumping this up Lucas Vigor.

Ran

I thought that might have been you Ran.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Pages: 1 28 replies